Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-23-2012, 05:35 AM   #1
stevenplanet
stevenplanet began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Kindle won't recognize mobi's single and double quotes

Hi I know this problem has been posted before but the threads I found came to no resolution. I have a Mobi file, forgot where I got it from although I do know its unprotected, is having problems with my Kindle 4 NT. These single and double quotes translate to question mark boxes, which probably means my Kindle isn't recognizing the punctuation marks. The thing is I tried unpacking to html and for some reason in the HTML when I load it in chrome I see no single or double quotes at all! Can anyone please help me out? I'm really enjoying this book but the question marks are very very annoying. Annoying enough for me to seek out a solution to this problem. I have linked to the mobi file that is causing problems. Hopefully someone can help me out? Thanks.

Mobi is attached!

Last edited by pdurrant; 08-23-2012 at 05:51 AM.
stevenplanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:00 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Moderator Notice

Attachment (Contagious by Scott Sigler) deleted. Do not upload copyright material to MobileRead.

In addition, his ebooks, as far as I know, come with DRM. If you have a copy of one of his books, that you can't remember where you got it from, and that is without DRM, that sounds like a pirate copy.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2012, 06:07 AM   #3
stevenplanet
stevenplanet began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post

Attachment (Contagious by Scott Sigler) deleted. Do not upload copyright material to MobileRead.

In addition, his ebooks, as far as I know, come with DRM. If you have a copy of one of his books, that you can't remember where you got it from, and that is without DRM, that sounds like a pirate copy.
Sorry about that! I was just hoping someone could solve the problem for me. Duly noted I will not be uploading or linking to it again. I'm also 80% sure that I got the PDF from an ebook website, where I buy most of my eBooks. They're a lot cheaper than Amazon's Kindle Store.
stevenplanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:16 AM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenplanet View Post
Sorry about that! I was just hoping someone could solve the problem for me. Duly noted I will not be uploading or linking to it again. I'm also 80% sure that I got the PDF from an ebook website, where I buy most of my eBooks. They're a lot cheaper than Amazon's Kindle Store.
Pirating books for free from torrents or pirate websites is one thing. It's illegal and unethical, but at least it's not stupid.

Do not buy books from pirates. Those PDFs from an ebook website are almost certainly cheaper because they're pirate editions that don't pay the author.

If you're going to not pay the author, at least don't give your money to crooks.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:11 AM   #5
ndixon
Mostly Harmless
ndixon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ndixon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ndixon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ndixon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ndixon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ndixon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ndixon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ndixon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ndixon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ndixon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ndixon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, Nook Simple Touch
I was going to chip in here and wail "What kind of ebook website sells PDFs?".

@pdurrant, you have answered my question.
ndixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert