Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-05-2013, 07:11 AM   #196
Thrillseeka
Thrillseeka can extract oil from cheeseThrillseeka can extract oil from cheeseThrillseeka can extract oil from cheeseThrillseeka can extract oil from cheeseThrillseeka can extract oil from cheeseThrillseeka can extract oil from cheeseThrillseeka can extract oil from cheeseThrillseeka can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 4
I tried it 2 different computer one Fujitsu amilo xi 1554 and the other is a desktop AMD with an old Gigabyte motherboard, there isnt usb3 on it. Thanks for your help.
Thrillseeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:24 AM   #197
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrillseeka View Post
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 15a2:0052 Freescale Semicoductor, Inc.
Thanks for the info...

Hmm. This means that your device is a) properly recognized, and b) in USB downloader mode.

It is totally beyond me why Kubrick fails to put it into fastboot mode - that's not normal behavior. You could try to unplug the device while Kubrick is waiting, and use another computer with mfgtool to boot it into fastboot mode, then plug it back into Kubrick. I doubt that it'll work, but you have nothing left to lose. If this doesn't work, then my guess is that a) it's physically broken, or b) the u-boot on the device is destroyed. In both of these cases, none of the "simple debrick" methods will help. You would have to try serial port debricking, and would be mostly on your own to figure out what exactly is wrong.

Oh, just for good measure: try with a different USB cable or on a different port. I doubt that it helps, but yeah, you never know.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2013, 07:57 AM   #198
Thrillseeka
Thrillseeka can extract oil from cheeseThrillseeka can extract oil from cheeseThrillseeka can extract oil from cheeseThrillseeka can extract oil from cheeseThrillseeka can extract oil from cheeseThrillseeka can extract oil from cheeseThrillseeka can extract oil from cheeseThrillseeka can extract oil from cheese

Thanks you again, well i tried the following:
- another cable -> doesnt work
- boot kubrick my desktop in the fastboot page unplug kindle, plugin to my notebook put fastboot mode with mfgtool, pluin back to my desktop -> doest work

Maybe i have to fully charged, but it isnt worked too

Thx
Old 10-05-2013, 08:06 AM   #199
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So your Kindle definitely does not manage to get into fastboot mode (but at least it does power up into usb downloader mode). This indicates a broken boot loader on the device, I think. I guess your only option is to try serial debricking (but I'm not sure if that will help either, if the boot loader is fubar) - or to toss it in the garbage bin and get a new one. Sorry for the bad news.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:15 AM   #200
Thrillseeka

Ok, i got it. I dont know how to do the serial debrick, but doest mather, i wont doit, am i afraid it is owerkill to me
Just one more question, the mfgtool is working, i can put fastboot or main etc. Why cant i fixit with it the u-boot? I belive you just am i currius.
Advert
Old 10-05-2013, 09:13 AM   #201
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrillseeka View Post
Ok, i got it. I dont know how to do the serial debrick, but doest mather, i wont doit, am i afraid it is owerkill to me
Just one more question, the mfgtool is working, i can put fastboot or main etc. Why cant i fixit with it the u-boot? I belive you just am i currius.
What do you mean by "working, i can put fastboot or main" ? Does it boot up in main or diags mode after you set that in mfgtool? (I suppose it doesn't)

The problem is not with mfgtool (or Kubrick, for that matter) - both send the correct data to the device. The problem is with the device not doing what it's supposed to do after receiving this data.

Last edited by ixtab; 10-05-2013 at 09:16 AM.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:50 PM   #202
Thrillseeka

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
What do you mean by "working, i can put fastboot or main" ? Does it boot up in main or diags mode after you set that in mfgtool? (I suppose it doesn't)

The problem is not with mfgtool (or Kubrick, for that matter) - both send the correct data to the device. The problem is with the device not doing what it's supposed to do after receiving this data.
No not boot up, you are right, i mean when i connected kindle to my computer in the mfgtool find the device and i can load up each 3 profile, i click on the start, and i get the information: Operation Complete. But that is all, not boot up the kindle, the screen frozen.

ok, roger that, so i have to buy a new one

Thank you for your help, it was very useful for me.
Old 12-11-2013, 02:45 AM   #203
ams
Enthusiast
ams is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.ams is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.ams is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.ams is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.ams is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.ams is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.ams is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.ams is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.ams is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.ams is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.ams is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo: Mini, Libra 2
I bought a bricked KT very cheaply on ebay intended for spare parts. But I got curious whether I could get it working again. Access via normal USB to the kindle's file system is not possible. First tried Kubrick then Silver18's guide. I can get into fastboot mode and flash diags. Everything up to step 9) in Silver18's guide works fine but then the KT does not boot into diags. Just a screen briefly flashing black and white and then the man under tree picture again with nothing happening (except the battery getting drained: after a few hours I get the empty battery screen). Same thing happens with Kubrick: does not boot into diags. I loaded the battery in fastboot mode for more than 20 hours. I erased the userdata (fastboot erase data) but nothing changed. Is there anything else I could try from fastboot mode?
(I found one similar case, post#158 in the Kubrick thread but apparently in that case the kindle did eventually boot into diags after 2 days, this does not happen in my case).
ams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 07:29 AM   #204
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ams View Post
I bought a bricked KT very cheaply on ebay intended for spare parts. But I got curious whether I could get it working again. Access via normal USB to the kindle's file system is not possible. First tried Kubrick then Silver18's guide. I can get into fastboot mode and flash diags. Everything up to step 9) in Silver18's guide works fine but then the KT does not boot into diags. Just a screen briefly flashing black and white and then the man under tree picture again with nothing happening (except the battery getting drained: after a few hours I get the empty battery screen). Same thing happens with Kubrick: does not boot into diags. I loaded the battery in fastboot mode for more than 20 hours. I erased the userdata (fastboot erase data) but nothing changed. Is there anything else I could try from fastboot mode?
(I found one similar case, post#158 in the Kubrick thread but apparently in that case the kindle did eventually boot into diags after 2 days, this does not happen in my case).
If I recall correctly - in the case you mentioned, the Kindle was repairing one of the flash memory file systems - -
Which can be a very long and power consuming process.

Just keep it under external power,
and when (if) it runs down, recharge it again,
wait.
like, wait a lot.

(why not? your not going to be using it for anything else. )
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 09:35 AM   #205
hostar
Zealot
hostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle 4 non-touch
I am sorry to revive almost 3 years old thread, but I would like to add one improvement, which will be useful to people, who are not familiar with command prompt.

In the guide in the part called "FLASH NEW DIAGS WITH SSH AND KERNEL" is where some steps can be simplified.

After extracting Fastboot_win_public.zip, you go to the folder "src" and then run the "cmd.bat" file. (It will be called just "cmd", if you have hidden files with well-known extension)

Once you run it, the black command windows appear.
Now just enter:

Quote:
cd ..
and press enter and you are in the directory with fastboot.exe, no matter, how deep in filesystem you have extracted the archive (e.g. C:\Users\yourname\Documents\kindle\fastboot).
hostar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
debricking