Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-26-2011, 08:34 AM   #1
paulfiera
Addict
paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Aura ONE, Kobo Libra H20
Question SVG Covers

I've found out that iBooks on the iPad and iPhone support SVG covers for both the thumbnails in the bookshelf and the cover in the book but I don't like how the covers look if the "Preset cover aspect ratio" field is unchecked - the image gets distorted. If the field is checked my impression is that the cover is displayed "as is" - I may be wrong.

So, what is the advantage of using SVG covers?

Do you personally use them?

Many thanks

PF
paulfiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 11:27 AM   #2
mohamedselim
Technophile
mohamedselim rocks like Gibraltar!mohamedselim rocks like Gibraltar!mohamedselim rocks like Gibraltar!mohamedselim rocks like Gibraltar!mohamedselim rocks like Gibraltar!mohamedselim rocks like Gibraltar!mohamedselim rocks like Gibraltar!mohamedselim rocks like Gibraltar!mohamedselim rocks like Gibraltar!mohamedselim rocks like Gibraltar!mohamedselim rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Xiaomi redmi 5+ ,kindle Voyage etc
as i know the advantage of using svg covers as they are vector graphics so not distorted when for example zoomed in wide screen but the disadvantages as many readers other than those made by apple are not compatible with them and will instead display blank pages so if intend to use them in ipad or iphone it is okay if you intend to make a book which contain this kind of cover then may not work i other readers except after conversion.
mohamedselim is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2011, 08:37 PM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulfiera View Post
I've found out that iBooks on the iPad and iPhone support SVG covers for both the thumbnails in the bookshelf and the cover in the book but I don't like how the covers look if the "Preset cover aspect ratio" field is unchecked - the image gets distorted. If the field is checked my impression is that the cover is displayed "as is" - I may be wrong.

So, what is the advantage of using SVG covers?

Do you personally use them?
By default calibre uses SVG as the cover for all ePub conversions. Check Preferences - output options - ePub output for settings affecting the SVG cover. If you check preserve cover aspect ratio your cover should not display as distorted.

If your question above is about iBooks then you need to ask in some other forum.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote