Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 05-27-2011, 11:25 PM   #16
emusan
Edge User

Sorry everyone, but I've got to be heading off to bed now, I'll release the newer backups ASAP tomorrow, until then I hope you all enjoy gmail, etc.

Again, sorry for the inconvenience, hopefully I can have this all sorted by tomorrow.

Oh and really sorry if you missed the PM time, I wish I could have kept it open longer, but I really do need some sleep right now

EDIT: oh wow, triple post, oops

Last edited by emusan; 05-28-2011 at 09:30 AM.

Old 05-28-2011, 07:10 AM   #17
ivan
Edge User

Will doing this allow us living outside the US to use the market or is it, as usual, US only?

Advert
Old 05-28-2011, 09:49 AM   #18
emusan
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan View Post
Will doing this allow us living outside the US to use the market or is it, as usual, US only?
I actually don't know that(I actually didn't even know that market was US only...), unfortunately I don't have an android device outside the US to test with, but if you want you can try it yourself when the new backups come out. You can also use an app called market enabler which will make market think you're using it from inside the US(you can even select a carrier), it requires root rights, but then so does TB.

Old 05-28-2011, 11:47 AM   #19
emusan
Edge User

I'm sorry to have to say this, but it seems as though the newer backups are not going to work(in fact they seem to work less well). I hate to say it but I can't really promise that I can get market working anytime in the near future(or possibly even at all). I'll put back up the older backups so that you can at least use gmail, calender, etc. but unfortunately talk and market will not work for the foreseeable future.

I'm still going to keep trying(though I really can't spend as much time as I have been on this, sadly), but at this point anything I try short of writing a custom ROM will just be a shot in the dark. I'm currently in talks with a few developers who have managed to get market working on other devices, though it seems to require a custom ROM. I might try making one in the near future, but I've never really made an android one before, and given some of the quirks of the eDGe I'm not even sure its possible(at least not without losing reader capabilities ).

If anyone else wants to try and get market working themselves I'll try and help in any way I can.

Thanks to every member of the community for their support over the last few days, again I'm sorry to disappoint.

On the bright side, the newer official forum backup seems to be grabbing a lot more pages than last time(unfortunately this time it is MUCH larger, I'll make it viewable online without needing to download, but this means I'll have to wait for an upgrade of the storage on my server), and should hopefully be done within the next 24 hours.

Old 05-28-2011, 12:08 PM   #20
ftrooper93
Edge User

Well, at least I'm rooted, I guess I could eventually root my own phone and do the backup fromn there, same process basically right?

Except that I'm on a verizon droid 2 global and I read elsewhere that the bootloaded was locked and the phone un-rootable.

Last edited by ftrooper93; 05-28-2011 at 12:11 PM.

Advert
Old 05-28-2011, 01:04 PM   #21
netrobot
Edge User

Oh well, thanks for all the hard work. The "old" process seemed to have some success. The odd thing is that the two methods aren't that different. We were just all using emusan as the friend with the 2.2 Android, so I'm not clear on why one process works while another one doesn't.

Have others had the same result I did -- a failure to authenticate and unsuccessful downloads? Or did the process produce varied results?

Thanks to emusan, and everyone who participated in the worthy attempt.

Old 05-28-2011, 01:25 PM   #22
emusan
Edge User

Yes they are the exact same process, I've just offered up some of my own backups made using a throwaway google account(I also added a few instructions and other small changes). Unfortunately, with either method the market and talk apps will be limited to the account that was used to log into the backed up programs(when I tried to back up the programs without an account first it would never work). So even if you used a friends phone you would be limited to using his account, unless he re-flashed his phone and used your gmail account before backing up. Hopefully we can get a fix soon.

Old 05-31-2011, 01:23 PM   #23
ftrooper93
Edge User

hope so....since this board is coming down really soon....maybe today.

Old 05-31-2011, 01:54 PM   #24
Glow
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftrooper93 View Post
hope so....since this board is coming down really soon....maybe today.
After that, check out MobileRead forum.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=218

Old 05-31-2011, 02:07 PM   #25
emusan
Edge User

yeah, was just going to post that, we are beginning to move active stuff over to there, as these boards seem to be crashing down as we speak...