Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-30-2007, 10:49 PM   #1
ambertape
Enthusiast
ambertape began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
Sony Reader doesn't turn & other problems

many problems with the sony reader. I sent it back to Sony and they said it was working according to specs. They are wrong.

1. My unit is fully charged but it doesn't turn on. If it does turn on, it turns automatically off.
2. I had to connect the ereader to my computer first and it made contact but only then was it able to turn it on.
3. When it was turned on, the ENT switch was locked and would not go down each line. It was stuck.
4. When I pressed the size button, it didn't change to medium size right away. If I held it for two minutes it finally changed to medium.
5. Normally when you hold the size button a little it would change into landscape. This didn't happen.

Are there any ways to correct these problems ?

Thanks

Ambertape
ambertape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 11:05 PM   #2
The Alternative
Techno-Junkie
The Alternative doesn't litterThe Alternative doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500 (x's 2), PRS-505, PRS-600, iPhone, iPad
Possible reasons for problems...

From my own experience I can tell you that if you have loaded up the reader with books (filled the internal memory) and then loaded a memory card with many more books you WILL have problems with slow loading, turning on, etc. It seems the machine wants to read through all the titles before completing any functions (such as sizing, etc.) If you have a lot of content on the reader this could cause the slowness of the machine. I suggest putting only a few books at a time into the internal memory and re-testing the functions.
The Alternative is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2008, 12:40 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
That is some very good advice.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 11:23 AM   #4
ambertape
Enthusiast
ambertape began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
Sony Reader doesn't turn on

Hello,

The last time I I logged on, there was a update and now the unit seems to turn on and off whenever I try it. I was thinking : Since the unit has to read what is stored in the memory of the reader as well as a SD card, perhaps it might be an idea to use a Sandisk SD card with extreme III speed to speed up the reading into memory ?

Has anyone used either PDFCreator or Acrobat 8 to reformat a pdf document into 4.3 X 5.7" size so it is better readable on the EReader ?

I am up to this point because I have downloaded many pdf file of MaximumPC back issues an would like to store and read them on a SD card.

Thanks

Ambertape
ambertape is offline   Reply With Quote