Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-04-2012, 04:02 PM   #1
SupaReader
SupaReader began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question about transfering files to the Kobo

Hi! I'm thinking about buying a Kobo touch or Kobo Glo.

Is it possible to transfer pdf and epub files to the devices by dragging and dropping files via the Microsoft Windows explorer when the it is connected via usb?
SupaReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:03 PM   #2
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Yep!
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:25 PM   #3
SupaReader

Great! Do I need to put them in a special folder? Is it possible to drag folders with ebooks from the computer and be able to browse within these folders using the Kobo ereaders?
Old 10-04-2012, 04:37 PM   #4
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You don't need to put them in a special folder. You can have them in a folder if you want though. But at least for the Kobo Touch, you cannot browse the folders from the device. I don't know if that's changed for the Glo, but I don't think so. You can make "shelves" though, to which you can add books, and you can browse the shelves.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:57 PM   #5
SupaReader

Will the Kobo always find the books automatically and automatically organize them once they are transferred in the way I described?
Old 10-04-2012, 04:59 PM   #6
Mrs_Often
Wizard

The Kobo will always find the books automatically. But it won't automatically organise them. It leaves the books where you put them. It builds its own database so it knows where which book is.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:05 PM   #7
rainio
Connoisseur
rainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

That's what's a little annoying with the glo - if you put books in a few directories the machine reads them and deposits them in your library as one list.
So, if you have 300 books there's one long list.

Is there any way to organise the books in the glo easily? Tried through the desktop application but not many options there.

EDIT: The desktop app doesn't even recognise books you added manually. Pfft.

Last edited by rainio; 10-04-2012 at 05:07 PM.
rainio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:15 PM   #8
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainio View Post
That's what's a little annoying with the glo - if you put books in a few directories the machine reads them and deposits them in your library as one list.
So, if you have 300 books there's one long list.

Is there any way to organise the books in the glo easily? Tried through the desktop application but not many options there.
Well, you can add books to "shelves" one by one from the library or from within the books.

And, tomorrow or next week the new Calibre version will be released which will support the new Kobo devices, and be able to nicely put books on shelves. Taming and Davidfor talk about it here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=192581
Quote:
EDIT: The desktop app doesn't even recognise books you added manually. Pfft.
Indeed it does not. Books you added manually are sideloaded and don't come from Kobo. For the books to sync to the desktop app, the books would have to be part of your kobo account. But sideloaded books added onto your Kobo account would cause privacy issues, which is why Kobo doesn't allow for it.

Aside from that, the Kobo desktop app does indeed not do much that is very useful. Most of us use Calibre instead.

Last edited by Mrs_Often; 10-04-2012 at 05:18 PM.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:16 PM   #9
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
The desktop app only supports Kobo ePubs (or kepubs); books bought from Kobo themselves and only downloaded via Kobo Desktop.

Calibre will real soon now have an updated driver that supports shelves.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:20 PM   #10
rainio
Connoisseur
rainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

In terms of creating shelves, it's too time consuming.
If you have 300 books, having to go through the list, 6 or so books per page, tagging the books for that shelf, is crazy.
Calibre it is, then.
rainio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:25 PM   #11
SupaReader

But I will have no problem transfering PDF and epub files via drag and drop? Without calibre.

Does the new Kobo Glo support adobe digital editions? I will need adobe digital editions to borrow books from my library
Old 10-04-2012, 05:36 PM   #12
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupaReader View Post
But I will have no problem transfering PDF and epub files via drag and drop? Without calibre.
No problem at all.
Quote:
Does the new Kobo Glo support adobe digital editions? I will need adobe digital editions to borrow books from my library
Yes it does
Old 10-04-2012, 07:32 PM   #13
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainio View Post
In terms of creating shelves, it's too time consuming.
If you have 300 books, having to go through the list, 6 or so books per page, tagging the books for that shelf, is crazy.
Calibre it is, then.
You can put books onto shelves in four ways:

- When creating the shelf, you can add books from the list or search for them and then add them. In this case, the book list has a check on the right hand side. Press that for all the books in the list you want on the shelf and then the save the list.

- When viewing a shelf, press the menu at the bottom and select "Edit". Adding books to the shelf is the same as above.

- When looking at a book list, you can press the menu button for the book and select "Add to shelf". You can then select what shelves to put it on.

- When reading a book, bring up the bottom menu, press the spanner icon and the "Add to Shelf" on the menu. You can then select what shelves to put it on.

The last two options are new with the 2.1.4 firmware.

The first two methods are probably the best for what you want.

And the new driver will be in today's calibre release.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:41 PM   #14
Woodstonian
Connoisseur
Woodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the party

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Shelves in2.1.4

davidfor ... I don't know if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but the functionality you describe in this post is not on the Glo, at least not on mine. I'm at 2.1.4 (r43703 10/1/12).

Edit: I'm referring to the last 2 options as the ones that are missing.

Last edited by Woodstonian; 10-04-2012 at 07:49 PM. Reason: Add information.
Woodstonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:04 PM   #15
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodstonian View Post
davidfor ... I don't know if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but the functionality you describe in this post is not on the Glo, at least not on mine. I'm at 2.1.4 (r43703 10/1/12).

Edit: I'm referring to the last 2 options as the ones that are missing.
That's interesting. It is in 2.1.4 (r43710, 10/1/12) that Kobo started rolling out to Touch devices yesterday. And I am sure I saw it mention by someone with a new device, but I think that was a Mini.

It might be worthwhile doing a sync to see if there is an update for your Glo.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote