Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 02-13-2009, 06:48 AM   #1
tibiafry
Enthusiast
tibiafry has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Iliad
XML inpput to several formats output

Hello, I've been around a little and I've been told somewhere that if you want to produce (let's say) a *.PRC, a *.PDF and an *.EPUB files of the same title, there should be a way of doing so from a pre-formated source XML file.

That is, that from a single file (so you only need to edit 1 file), you can generate a different set of well/correct formatted outputs.

Thanks a lot.
tibiafry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 02:42 PM   #2
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
I think if you talk to Hadrien about this he would have a lot to say. Hadrien runs the Feedbooks site and is a frequent poster here at MobileRead. I'm not sure whether he stores the source as XML, HTML, XHTML, or some variant of one of these.

I'm still trying to learn the various book-making programs and I'm definitely interested in learning how to produce the best input source file to make sure that what comes out of each conversion tool is the highest quality book. Maybe some of the more experienced book makers can offer some wisdom here.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2009, 10:25 AM   #3
tibiafry
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
I think if you talk to Hadrien about this he would have a lot to say. Hadrien runs the Feedbooks site and is a frequent poster here at MobileRead. I'm not sure whether he stores the source as XML, HTML, XHTML, or some variant of one of these.

I'm still trying to learn the various book-making programs and I'm definitely interested in learning how to produce the best input source file to make sure that what comes out of each conversion tool is the highest quality book. Maybe some of the more experienced book makers can offer some wisdom here.
Hey that was cool, thanks for the reply. I'll try to reach him on the private message function of the forum
Old 02-27-2009, 03:06 PM   #4
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
The easiest way is to start with (X)HTML - that can be converted to just about anything quite easily.
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 06:59 PM   #5
Kirtai
Addict
Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-650, iPad, Samsung Galaxy SII (JB), Google Nexus 7 (2013)
I've been looking at the same thing but don't have enough experience to know what would be best.
I think that DTBook or TEI-lite might be good choices, but am still undecided.
Kirtai is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2009, 02:17 AM   #6
tibiafry
Enthusiast

What hadrien said about Feedbooks is that

Feedbooks isn't based on any particular existing program, they created everything from scratch. It's pretty much the equivalent of an XML workflow, where you'd create the end format using XSLT.

The major difference in their case, is that they don't just store those end formats: Feedbooks can also create and distribute them on the fly, which is why they can create customized PDF files.