Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 11-22-2008, 12:19 PM   #1
PinkTissue
PinkTissue has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Hanlin V3
Review - Hanlin v3 with pictures

I did a review of Hanllin V3. I cannot compare it with a Sony Reader since I have never seen one. In summary, did I make a right choice choosing Hanlin v3 over Sony PRS-505? I would say a tentative yes. It may look like a ugly duckling beside Sony PRS-505 but it has its strength. The fact that it has a removable battery and that the USB adaptor is not proprietary means that I could get a replacement if the need arises. It does not need any software and could read native word document and powerpoint (only the words) means that I could easily back up the office documents and read them easily. And of course, the fact that is supports multiple language means that I do not need to worry about hacking the device. Although I have not tested yet, Hanlin v3 supports a lot more formats than PRS-505. The onboard memory is also twice of that of a Sony PRS-505. However, the price is steep…at RM$1399 (which to be fair, comes with warranty and loads of freebies) compared to a Sony PRS-505 which you could buy for US$200 at eBay (excluding postage). However, if you chiefly reads English e-books and is confident of hacking to read the occasional e-book, Sony PRS-505 may be a good choice if you can get it at a reasonable price inclusive of postage (just remember, always check on the postage – sending things from US is expensive!).

You can find more details at my blog (with more pictures) at my blog:
http://www.diaryquirkylady.com/uncat...-e-book-reader

Remember - I am not a 'technical' reader and I am not in the IT line so don't jump on me saying that it is a shallow review. I am reviewing the e-book reader purely from a reader point of view. As a woman, it is my right to be IT-bimbo.

And if you are interested to get your hands on Hanlin v3, it is not sold in Singapore (at least I have not seen one). I contacted the seller at Malaysia who hand-delivered it to me. I paid cash - RM$1399. Yes, it is more expensive than the price advertised elsewhere but I save tons on postage and there is warranty. After-sales service is excellent (yes, I called him on the phone at midnight once). The seller is contactable at hpkeong@streamyx.com.

And in case you are wondering, I have the casing specially custom made for my Hanlin V3, It is made of leather and smells heavenly.
PinkTissue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 06:00 PM   #2
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
Very nice! And I love that cover.

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2008, 07:06 PM   #3
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook
I thought the nice black leather cover that came with my Bebook was nice, but now I'm insanely jealous!
carandol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 04:22 AM   #4
geely
geely began at the beginning.

Device: HanLin V3
I love your customized leather case,where to buy it?
Also has other colors and the model?
geely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 04:37 AM   #5
PinkTissue

A leather artisan has custom make the casing for me. I told him what I like and gave him a free hand in doing the casing for me. If you are from Singapore, you can go to this shop at Heeren, 4th floor Annex Building. The name of the shop is 310 Woodland.

I only know of one other place that 'mass' produce casing for Hanlin v3 online - you can check this out at this online shop:

http://www.stylzworld.com/shop/beboo...319784f11dca85
Advert
Old 11-23-2008, 11:14 AM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkTissue View Post
A leather artisan has custom make the casing for me. I told him what I like and gave him a free hand in doing the casing for me.
Wow... I curious what that cost you... if you don't mind telling me.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 12:42 PM   #7
PinkTissue

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Wow... I curious what that cost you... if you don't mind telling me.

BOb
I have sent you a PM on the cost of the casing.