Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 11-22-2008, 04:50 AM   #31
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsalvaggio View Post
We all know that Baen Books is one of the few publishers that really "get" ebooks. They offer them in many formats with no DRM at reasonable prices. And they often provide some for free through the Baen Free Library and by including CD's in new releases.

The latest CD comes with "Claws that Catch" by John Ringo and Travis Taylor (the 4th book in the Looking Glass series which, BTW, I HIGHLY recommend). Baen encourages that the CD be shared as long as they remains free of charge.
Is Claws that Catch the only 'new' book on the CD?
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 09:56 AM   #32
Eagleeye
Fanatic
Eagleeye rocks like Gibraltar!Eagleeye rocks like Gibraltar!Eagleeye rocks like Gibraltar!Eagleeye rocks like Gibraltar!Eagleeye rocks like Gibraltar!Eagleeye rocks like Gibraltar!Eagleeye rocks like Gibraltar!Eagleeye rocks like Gibraltar!Eagleeye rocks like Gibraltar!Eagleeye rocks like Gibraltar!Eagleeye rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: BeBook, Pocketbook 360°; Kindle 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Tyson View Post
Is Claws that Catch the only 'new' book on the CD?
No, it isn't. You find "Centurion" on it, too. For any other question about the assembled books - look here
Eagleeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2008, 02:15 AM   #33
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagleeye View Post
No, it isn't. You find "Centurion" on it, too. For any other question about the assembled books - look here

Ok, thanks. Don't think there is a file there that says 'these are new' though, at least when I was browsing it.

Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 04:49 AM   #34
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagleeye View Post
TERRIBLE book. Extreme right-wing political diatribe in a thin wrapper of a military fiction novel. I was very disappointed by it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 05:05 AM   #35
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
TERRIBLE book. Extreme right-wing political diatribe in a thin wrapper of a military fiction novel. I was very disappointed by it.
I second that wholeheartedly. Good to know that I'm not alone on this. I think my words would have been a little harder (including the words cynical and fascist), so I guess it was better it was not me that made that point.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2008, 05:28 AM   #36
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I used to really like John Ringo, but his recent books have, for me, just been an expression of a political viewpoint that I personally find deeply unpleasant (eg one of his recent books - I forget off-hand which one - contained a very unpleasant personal attack on Mrs. Clinton). I really wish he'd go back to writing straightforward military SF, which he's extremely good at, and leave out the political "flag-waving".
Old 11-23-2008, 07:31 AM   #37
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
It's a shame you can't appreciate the subtleties of the novel. It's rather innovative in terms of structure and pacing.

BTW, if you don't like the politics, then why did you convert the H Beam Piper works? The left is used as a villain in a number of the stories.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 07:49 AM   #38
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
BTW, if you don't like the politics, then why did you convert the H Beam Piper works? The left is used as a villain in a number of the stories.
I haven't yet read them. Thanks for the warning!

To clarify: I have nothing against novels which espouse a particular political point of view. "The Last Centurion", however, is little except political diatribe, and I do find that distasteful. I bought it as a work of fiction, not as a political tract.

EDIT:

The reviews on "amazon.com" appear to be split roughly 50:50 between those who enjoyed it, and those who feel very much as I do about it, so, in fairness, I have to say that clearly it appeals to some - presumably those inclined to the far right of American politics.

The reviews on "amazon.co.uk" are uniformly negative. Personally I have to agree with the reviewer who says:

Quote:
This book is nothing but hate filled bile, lashing out against anyone who is not a white American christian republican male. I could not find a single redeeming aspect in the entire book. Sadly you are left with a damning picture of the author, and a just plain bad book.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:47 AM   #39
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
To clarify: I have nothing against novels which espouse a particular political point of view. "The Last Centurion", however, is little except political diatribe, and I do find that distasteful. I bought it as a work of fiction, not as a political tract.
I kind of agree to some extent with the above; I am equal opportunity sff reader - I enjoy equally RK Morgan and J. Ringo which are to me kind of similar in style and opposite in politics - but The Last Centurion was a big disappointment because it was all tell, no show. Very little action, just talk and talk and while Mr. Ringo's diatribes are ok at several pages, 300 of them is way too much.
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 01:21 PM   #40
Selzernium
Enthusiast
Selzernium knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Selzernium knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Selzernium knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Selzernium knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Selzernium knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Selzernium knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Selzernium knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Selzernium knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Selzernium knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Selzernium knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Selzernium knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
I second that wholeheartedly. Good to know that I'm not alone on this. I think my words would have been a little harder (including the words cynical and fascist), so I guess it was better it was not me that made that point.
+2

John Ringo's most recent books are like that i.e. overt right wing jingoistic propaganda...

Last edited by Selzernium; 11-24-2008 at 01:25 PM.
Selzernium is offline   Reply With Quote