Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 07-31-2014, 12:11 AM   #1
Miss M
Miss M began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire HD
Hi from a Kindle Mom

Hello! I don't have a Kindle myself (though I'm sure I won't be Kindleless forever), but both of my teenagers do. My daughter was given a Kindle Touch for Christmas a couple of years ago, and my son just won a Kindle Fire HD in a library summer reading program.

This was especially exciting, because my son is mildly dyslexic. But over the past year, his reading skills have really improved. He has gone from reading little books and hating it, to voluntarily slogging through 400-page books. Not quickly, mind you, but I'm not really concerned about speed at this point. Thankfully, the drawing for the Kindle was based not on number of books read, but number of minutes. He dutifully logged his minutes, recording nearly 1,500 by the end of the program. They were logged online, and they had to review the books they read, too. They got 1 ticket for every 30 minutes read, to a maximum of 2,000 minutes worth of tickets.

Anyway, you can probably tell I'm really proud of him. He worked his tail off trying for that Kindle, but he was a good sport about it. He was hoping that if he didn't get it, that it would go to another kid who had read a whole lot, rather than to a kid who had only one or two tickets in there.

My daughter has been inseparable from her books since she was little. She reads like I did at her age... before I got married and had children. When her aunt and uncle gave her a Kindle two years ago, I thought she was going to burst when she found out it could hold 3,000 books! She still carries it everywhere she goes. And it doesn't matter that there's plenty of room on there for books to languish that she didn't like... she keeps it clean. Any book she didn't like (she's very discriminating) gets removed, so it doesn't soil her Kindle's storage space.

I want a Kindle.
Miss M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 05:45 AM   #2
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Miss M and welcome to MobileRead. Very nice intro and be sure and let us know when you get a Kindle.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2014, 06:37 AM   #3
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Hi, there. Lots of Kindle owners here. And other ereader owners, too.
cromag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 03:03 AM   #4
Miss M
Miss M began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire HD
Thank y'all so much for the kind welcome, MickeyC and cromag!

The more I look around, the more amazing this place becomes... and there are some very helpful members guiding me through modifying my daughter's Kindle Touch. A couple of days ago, I didn't know what half these terms meant.
Miss M is offline   Reply With Quote