Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-24-2011, 06:08 AM   #61
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulfiera View Post
That's a very cool icon. I replaced the original with this one and it worked perfectly until I updated to 0.8.20. The original icon came back.

I guess I should have set the new icon as read-only?
Reading the directions closer would be better than setting it to read only. You need to create the path in your configuration directory.

Calibre Settings\resources\images\

and place the icon in this directory.

If you use any plugins this path may already be there in your configuration directory, simply place the icon there and restart calibre. Updates will not overwrite these icons.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 09-24-2011 at 06:12 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 06:58 AM   #62
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Nexus7
Quote:
Originally Posted by CazMar View Post
I actually LIKE the way Calibre looks - it is functional and easy to use.
Agreed! I like its distinctive look and ease of use.

One, (very minor), GUI issue is that the 3-icons in the bottom right, (next to the Jobs status), seem a bit out of place, (clutterish) - perhaps they should be on a "View" tool button on the main toolbar instead.
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2011, 07:10 AM   #63
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agama View Post
One, (very minor), GUI issue is that the 3-icons in the bottom right, (next to the Jobs status), seem a bit out of place, (clutterish) - perhaps they should be on a "View" tool button on the main toolbar instead.
I actually love those icons there, I use then quite often. They seem out of order to me. I would like to see the tag browser as the left icon, followed by cover browser then book details.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:44 AM   #64
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
When I first installed Calibre I thought it looked "old" and I felt it wasn't very intuitive.

Now, a year later, I actually like the way it looks. I actually had to open it up while rading this thread and try to look at it with not-too-biased eyes (hard, since I love the program so much!), and even though it's not very pretty, it's simple and clutter free. And I do appreciate that it looks the same update after update, because I'm lazy and don't want to learn to use a new UI!

The only customization I have done apart from removing icons I don't use is exchanging the default "remove" icon for the trash icon provided here. Works a treat and so much more appropriate than the green "recycle" icon! (Thanks for that Jackie_W!)

There are lots of things I have no clue about in Calibre, but the basic things I want to do are really easy.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 07:44 AM   #65
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Nexus7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
I actually love those icons there, I use then quite often. They seem out of order to me. I would like to see the tag browser as the left icon, followed by cover browser then book details.
So perhaps a bit more customisability of the current GUI would suit us both, without the need for a major overhaul.
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2011, 07:52 AM   #66
paulfiera
Addict
paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Aura ONE, Kobo Libra H20
Quote:
Reading the directions closer would be better than setting it to read only. You need to create the path in your configuration directory.

Calibre Settings\resources\images\

and place the icon in this directory.

If you use any plugins this path may already be there in your configuration directory, simply place the icon there and restart calibre. Updates will not overwrite these icons.
Many thanks, Walt.

I have many plugins but this directory didn't already exist. Created \resources\images\, put trash.png in it and it's now working.
paulfiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 08:38 AM   #67
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
+1 on the ordering being "wrong" Walt. I've never mentioned it because I wondered whether that ordering made sense in one of Calibre's other "modes" like Wide mode or something, but if that is not the case I agree they should be swapped around.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 08:41 AM   #68
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
+1 on the ordering being "wrong" Walt. I've never mentioned it because I wondered whether that ordering made sense in one of Calibre's other "modes" like Wide mode or something, but if that is not the case I agree they should be swapped around.
I run in wide mode and was wondering the same thing.
Old 09-24-2011, 08:42 AM   #69
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I just checked, so do I - perhaps I should have said whether the ordering makes sense in "narrow" mode
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 11:07 AM   #70
mikaelalind
Fanatic
mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Cybook Odessey
I have no problems with the way Calibre look. Sure, it isn't the most fancy looking but it is a great program that works without problem. And that's what count to me .
mikaelalind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 11:48 AM   #71
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
I just checked, so do I - perhaps I should have said whether the ordering makes sense in "narrow" mode
I've fixed the ordering to be consistent with the mode being used.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 04:07 PM   #72
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:

They are also on the right side so my mouse does not have to traverse the screen to get to them.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 07:24 PM   #73
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I've fixed the ordering to be consistent with the mode being used.
That cleans up the GUI for me.

Thanks.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:00 PM   #74
ElMiko
Addict
ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
One alternative is to use click and hold instead of requiring the clicking of the arrow. Would that be more usable for you?

EDIT: Never mind, changing to click and hold is liable toconfuse people as it means the arrow will no longer be clickable, so I guess I'll just add the right click.
Thank you for even considering this! I'm sure any solution you settle on will be more than adequate. As I said in my earlier post, I certainly hope this interface "fix" is taken with the appropriately modest priority level that it merits relative to other fixes that would address real functionality.
ElMiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 03:45 AM   #75
maara
maara began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
This thread got me thinking about the graphical effects issue and I realize there may be a way to fix it on windows (and maybe even OS X, though I'm less sure about that). It would work by using a custom Qt style, probably a modification of QtCurve. This requires not too much work (basically customizing QtCurve and getting it to compile on windows/os x). After which it is just a drop in replacement for the current Qt style.

The downside is that calibre would no longer have a "native look and feel" (i.e things like progress bars, dialogs, buttons etc. wont look like those from other windows programs). I dont know if that is worth it, opinions?

This would also allow for greater customization of the the calibre UI via a CSS like stylesheet, which could of course be "skinned".

For an example of the kinds of things would be possible, the current SONY software uses Qt with a custom style+stylesheet.
+1 - I definitely vote for!
maara is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, design, interface