Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-15-2011, 10:02 PM   #1
dippy1
dippy1 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS T3
Hi All & yes I have a problem

Hi everyone, this is my first post and unfortunately it is to ask for some help!!!
I bought a new 350 yesterday and I have found a strange symbol that is not listed in the symbol list.
It is a circle with a line across the centre and is situated to the left of the battery icon.
On some pages I am unable to turn the page and that is when the symbol appears. Then I can't turn back/forward or bookmark the page. I then have to go back to the homepage.

Another problem is the font sizes. Some pages seem to be in the XS size but it shows at bottom left am M. Also, I can't change the font, but again, only on some pages.

Last problem, I hope!!! Can the charger be turned off when it has finished charging? I always thought that you should run them down to near empty before you recharge but every time I connect the USB cable it starts charging and I can't do anything with the reader!!!

Help me please.......

dippy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 10:25 PM   #2
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
The strange symbol you mention shows that the reader couldn't understand what it thought you wanted. I get this most commonly when my swipe to turn a page doesn't work quite right. It should go away after a few moments. Pushing the page turn button will allow the page to turn, as will waiting for that little symbol to go away.

I'm guessing with the font size that you were looking at a pdf? I don't have this problem when reading ePub formatted books. You should be able to change the font by pushing the button with the magnifying glass above it and then tapping on your preferred size. Are you saying that pushing this button doesn't allow you to change the page?

With these batteries you don't want to run them to near empty before recharging as that may damage them. More important for the first few charges is making sure that the battery is charged to full capacity, allowed to discharge some, and then charged to full capacity again. This will help set the battery meter so that it's more accurate. Also note that just because it says it's done doesn't mean that it has stopped charging. It' a good idea at first to leave it plugged in for at least a few hours after it's fully charged. I'm an impatient sort, so I try to do my charging overnight.

If you want to use your reader while it charges, you need to plug it in to a USB wall adapter. When attached to a computer, the reader is busy talking to the computer. When attached to a wall outlet, the reader will work normally.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2011, 10:46 PM   #3
dippy1

Thanks for such a quick reply.

Okay, when I am reading and I get to the pages I am having problems with (ES font & unable to change pages) it just seems to lock in to that page. Even waiting a few minutes makes no difference. The symbol comes on briefly & I still can't turn the page or change the font size. It still shows the font as being in whatever size I have pressed but the print is still ES. Also, pressing the page turn button won't work either. You are right, they are PDF's. But it is only on some pages that I have problems.

Now to the battery!!
I phoned Sony and unfortunately, I listened to them about the 3 hour charge. I agree with you, I always believed that the batteries trickle charged for a few hours more. Sony said no, they don't, it could damage the battery by leaving it on!! So, I took it off after 3-4 hrs. Now I suppose I will have to get a new battery sooner than I should!!
With it charging every time I connect to the computer, how do I get the books to it?
I think that is about all!!!!
Actually, should I change the PDF's to ePub? Can I do that?

Thanks again
Old 04-15-2011, 11:21 PM   #4
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's possible that there's a problem with your pdf file that's causing the reader to hang. I've never had good luck with pdfs myself. Calibre is a quick and easy way to convert file types and will also help manage your library and automate making collections on your reader.

I don't worry too much about the fact that the battery charges when I connect my reader. I tend to put a lot of books on all at once and then read them, so by the time I'm ready to connect, it's due for a charge anyway. I also don't worry about how long my reader charges. I tend to recharge when it gets down to one or two bars and I tend to charge overnight, especially if I'm using a wall plug. These batteries are rated for thousands of charge cycles, so even if you charged it every day, the battery would last for several years.
Old 04-16-2011, 01:28 AM   #5
dippy1

Thanks again Polly. I will have a look at converting the files and see how that goes. You have put my mind to rest about the battery too!!!
I am so glad I found this site, I have almost been tearing my hair out over all these problems.

Again
Advert
Old 04-16-2011, 05:05 AM   #6
dippy1

One last question, please

Do I still have to have Sony's Reader Library on my computer if I have Calibre?

Thanks
Old 04-16-2011, 08:03 AM   #7
CraftyDan
Zealot
CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.

Device: PRS-600 and PRS-350
The only thing the Sony library program will do for you that calibre can't is buy books from Sony.

All the other bookstores that use the standard ADEPT DRM can use the "Adobe Digital Editions" software to download the DRM books -- just not Sony's "reader store". There are times they offer free books there (and only there), and on rare occasions they're the cheapest, but on the whole you can find the same or better deals elsewhere.

It's a personal decision to install or not, but I haven't opened my copy of the reader library in months . . . and it might be months more before I do.
CraftyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 08:56 AM   #8
polly
Evangelist

One last note about the battery, though. Unfortunately, it only charges from a computer when that computer is on. If the computer goes in to sleep mode or you turn it off, it seems like the charge goes in the other direction, from reader to computer. That's part of the reason that I normally charge from the wall instead.
Old 04-16-2011, 09:00 AM   #9
tponzo
Addict
tponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 900(gave it to my sister); Sony PRS-T1; onyx book note air
Hi dippy and welcome,
the only time I get the symbol you describe is when I am trying to go to a page that doesn't exist - e.g. didn't realize I was at the end, or swipe in a way reader doesn't recognize. Only time I had trouble w/font size was on a pdf and the file was corrupt.

Calibre is awesome for managing your books and conversion from pdf to epub is usually quick and easy. Make sure that if you keep the Sony software you disable the auto sync with your reader. You can't have your reader syncing with the sony software and calibre at the same time (they don't play nicely together )

Happy reading!
tponzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:29 AM   #10
peitsao
Addict
peitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo mini, PW3,NookST
There is one more reason to use Sony's library--if you take notes, highlight, etc. and want to save them on your computer and/or print them out. I wish Calibre could do this for me, but it does not.
peitsao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 11:22 AM   #11
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Is it really dangerous to "overcharge" the battery? Sometimes, I've found it most convenient to charge when I go to sleep, and unplug the device in the morning.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 12:06 PM   #12
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
No it isn't as you can't overcharge, the charging is regulated... read the other threads on battery usage and/or do a google for manufacturer specifications concerning Lithium-ion/polymer batteries... best way to charge is use a separate PSU and plug it in before bed and unplug the next morning.

If you could manage to overcharge your eReader then it could damage the battery or worse but they stop charging before an overcharge takes place...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
Is it really dangerous to "overcharge" the battery? Sometimes, I've found it most convenient to charge when I go to sleep, and unplug the device in the morning.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 01:46 PM   #13
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
If you are not so computer litarate than keep the Sony Software and use it exclusively. You won't need anything else and it is as easy to handle as iTunes. You can even use it to download your library books, just select Reader Library in when the download window pops up instead of Adobe Digital Editions and your book will go directly into the Sony Library. You can manage the books you buy in other stores the same way.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 02:35 PM   #14
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I'm with Poppaea. I don't use Adobe at all for the Sony. Just Reader Library. I don't love it, but it's no worse that Adobe...

(I actually even uninstalled Adobe in one of my "OMG I really HATE everything Adobe" fits. I have them now again. Hate Acrobat reader with a passion. Reader Library handles my library books and purchased books just fine.)
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 06:15 PM   #15
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Must say I installed Calibre, but haven't used it yet - every time I tried it wouldn't recognise me reader - 'spect it's that auto sync business.
But I have Coppoia for Singapore, and Overdrive, but these are for specific sources.

Last edited by carpetmojo; 04-16-2011 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Can't spell...
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote