Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 03-19-2011, 08:20 PM   #1
nerys
Addict
nerys began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 500 - REB 1200
Kobo $60 I assume this is very good? Hacks?

A closing borders near me has KOBO's for $59.99

is it worth getting one for that price? can the wifi be used to do simple browsing (such as going to guttenburg to get books or logging into gmail to get a book etc.. ?

I like how tiny it is. is it better than the sony pocket reader? (I can get one of those for $80 so the price difference is small)

I love that it has a gig internal AND takes SD cards!! does it allow folder navigation for organizing books?

if you want one hit up your local borders if you have one closing!

thanks!
nerys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 08:24 PM   #2
NightBird
Wizard
NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KF, KF HD, iPod Touch
You would be able to get more information about this by posting on the Kobo Reader forum:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=223
NightBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2011, 11:26 PM   #3
nerys
Addict

I know reading that now but seemed efficient to add it here too (was posting here to let people know about the $59.99 deal at closing borders.
Old 03-20-2011, 12:40 AM   #4
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
If you're seeing a Sony Pocket Reader for $80, it's probably the older 300 model that doesn't have as nice of a screen as the new 350 model. Just FYI.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 12:43 AM   #5
nerys
Addict

meh so what :-) I have a original PRS500 and am just peachy with its screen since that is one of the oldest sony readers the pocket reader has to be equal or better right?

I can understand it might not be great for some but I guess my vision is ok enough for it not to be an issue. IE I did not see a compelling reason to get the new DX its screen is not a big enough difference over my existing DX to matter.

hmm wonder which is smaller. I DO however love the SD card support of the Kobo. I have an adapter that lets me plug my SD card into my phone so I can in theory use my phone to get "new books" for the kobo while mobile.

---

yup just confirmed its the 300
Advert
Old 03-20-2011, 12:45 AM   #6
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Kobo is larger than the 300 IIRC.

Internal memory probably has enough space for hundreds of books, if that helps with your decision. I never used the SD card slot in any of my readers that allowed for one.
Old 03-20-2011, 01:00 AM   #7
nerys
Addict

i know call me old fashioned but I like having some level of control over my gadgets. I almost did not get the DX because of no memory card. (I hate proprietary) but its was mass storage - a lot of it - and I lusted over the large screen. :-)

with a memory card I Just pop it into the computer and toss whatever I want onto the card of delete or whatever.

though with ebooks the files are so small that the slow "built in" interfaces are not so bad if they are mass storage.
Old 03-20-2011, 02:15 AM   #8
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010

Well you can also load 800+ books on the 300 and then never have to worry about the SD card. I'm just sayin'.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:02 AM   #9
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
There aren't really any hacks--it is a dedicated ebook reader, not a tablet. You can fudge a bit and make the reader connect to a webpage, but it's a pain and does not persist. There is a thread in the kobo forum about connecting to wikipedia.

The one thing you might want to do is use the kobobooks.com desktop application, rather than the Borders one. You can only sync with one or the other (not both).
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 12:31 PM   #10
nerys
Addict

Well I would use neither application and simply copy my files to the device (I don't do DRM)

the web functionality was simply an idea for hey its got wifi and a screen being able to say download ebooks USING that wifi would be very cool :-) I use that feature now and then on the kindle and while its rarely used IT IS nice to have.

I don't "expect" that kind of stuff on a $60 reader but having it would not be turned down either :-)