Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-01-2012, 07:25 PM   #76
Kevin8or
Guru
Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
^^ That was NOT funny! ^^ Until I read the actual article. Give me a heart attack, why don't you.
Kevin8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:43 PM   #77
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
can't see it...
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2012, 02:04 PM   #78
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
I have almost finished the first book and was loving it. This thread has rattled me a little. I will soldier on. Generally don't care if a book moves slowly. I read quite quickly
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 04:06 PM   #79
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin8or View Post
^^ That was NOT funny! ^^ Until I read the actual article. Give me a heart attack, why don't you.
Gotta say it got my heart fluttering a bit, as well

To the OP - My advice is go for it. I've read the first 5 books (just this year, though) and loved them (although, as others have pointed out, the first 3 were the best).

But, having just recently read the first sample chapter of Book 6 - The Winds of Winter - may I just say, I cannot wait!!! It's beautifully written, fast-paced, AND...yes, there's mention of lemon cakes!!!

I'll be sad when the series is finished. Sort of like losing an old friend.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 04:21 PM   #80
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
I just started reading books 4 and 5 simultaneously. Just going back and forth, one chapter of one and a chapter of the other. So far I've read about 5 chapters total and only one has been about a character we've previously seen before (Tyrion), so I can understand a little of the frustration people felt at these two books.

However, the writing is still good and I'm still invested in what's going on, despite having to figure out where we are and what's happening at the beginning of each new chapter.
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2012, 05:21 PM   #81
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
I considered reading 4 and 5 that way. I'd read a post on reddit that combined them to more easily understand the chronology. After reading them separately, I kind of wish I'd done it your way, now.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:42 PM   #82
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianNC View Post
I considered reading 4 and 5 that way. I'd read a post on reddit that combined them to more easily understand the chronology. After reading them separately, I kind of wish I'd done it your way, now.
Yeah, someone on Facebook sent me a link that has the chapters reordered to be in strict chronological order. I printed it out, but after realizing how confusing it would be to do it that way, I just decided to read both books in order, but simultaneously. So far it's working for me.
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:54 PM   #83
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
for any gamers out there there's a game of thrones game coming out later this year-

xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:20 PM   #84
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
'These Last Two Are Gonna Be Real Turds,' George R.R. Martin Assures Fans

"In the wake of last year's highly successful publication of the fifth installment in his A Song Of Ice And Fire series, author George R.R. Martin assured fans Tuesday the final two books in the fantasy saga would be "complete turds." "For starters, there'll be no mention of the dragons at all, because I'm pretty much sick of writing about dragons at this point," said Martin, who added he would also be introducing an entirely new storyline set on a completely different continent and featuring a cast of at least 50 new characters all vying for the same throne. "And I'm going to take even longer to write these last two, at least a decade each. Who knows if I'll even be alive to finish them? Who cares? My son knows how to spell most of the characters' names, so maybe I'll let him wrap the whole thing up." Martin said that while he didn't want to give too much away, he was certainly going to kill off Tyrion and never resurrect him, because "that f*cking dwarf" was annoying the sh*t out of him."

http://www.theonion.com/articles/the...ge-rr-m,26934/

fake story but amusing.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:59 PM   #85
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
fake story but amusing.
I just popped in here to post a link to that very story. It appears I was 40 minutes late, or so.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:02 PM   #86
Pax
Zealot
Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD 3, Sony PRS 650
I hope that George R. R. Martin finds time beside his side activties like working on a pc game to finish writing the series.
Pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:00 AM   #87
Kevin8or
Guru
Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pax View Post
I hope that George R. R. Martin finds time beside his side activties like working on a pc game to finish writing the series.
I hope that the TV series re-energizes him, re-focus his attention, which obviously strayed.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:46 AM   #88
ghodur
Librarian
ghodur began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone and Kindle Touch
I read the first one and was quite jazzed, so I bought the second one and have done nothing except look at it now and then. The first one kind of exhausted me and when I think how long the second one will take me to read......
ghodur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 02:54 AM   #89
flipreads
Connoisseur
flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I don't think Martin's attention every strayed. He's working on the books. But as a writer, you can't necessarily be just writing the same book, 24 hours a day for the next X years.

And he's not really that active when it comes to the video game (he's not developing/designing it).
flipreads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 03:37 AM   #90
Kevin8or
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipreads View Post
I don't think Martin's attention every strayed.
Something changed:

Book 1: 1996
Book 2: 1998 +2 years
Book 3: 2000 +2 years
Book 4: 2005 +5 years
Book 5: 2011 +6 years

If his focus didn't change, then something else did. Either way, I can hope that the next volume isn't a 6 year wait.