Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-06-2010, 09:25 PM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Jack Reacher series by Lee Child

I'm about 1/2 into Killing Floor and I'm liking it a lot. Has anyone read any of the Jack Reacher series? If so, how do the subsequent books stack up?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 09:53 PM   #2
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
I've picked up a couple. They're good quick reads. But. The stutter. Stopping. That. He used. Exclusively. In the Killing Floor was. Almost too much. To handle.

I couldn't tell if it was Jack Reacher or William Shatner in a couple of chapters. Thankfully, it appears to be just a first time published oopsies and my eyes thanked me later. The biggest shock to you may be the POV shift if you read them in order. He switches between first and third person between some books.
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2010, 10:46 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks. I am enjoying Killing Floor. It's one of those wrong places, wrong time type of stories but done well and fairly believable.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:02 PM   #4
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You know, I couldn't say it any better myself. You've pretty much summed up the whole plot, and it's damned fun.

The best part of it all is that Lee Child has no formal law enforcement or military training. And he fooled me.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:05 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I'm guessing that when this is over that Reacher doesn't stick around. I could be wrong. But I doubt it.
Advert
Old 08-06-2010, 11:06 PM   #6
jaxx6166
Wizard

We'll talk when you finish the book
Old 08-07-2010, 10:15 AM   #7
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I've read all the Jack Reacher books including Lee Child's most recent (61 Hours) and have liked them all. Some, typically, are better than others but all are good reads.

In fact, I went to a Lee Child book signing about a year ago and got my picture taken standing next to him. Tried to convince my friends who are big Reacher fans that that was Jack standing next to Lee in the picture. I can only describe their reaction as somewhat, um, skeptical. Okay, okay, they howled with giggles. I ask you!
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 03:22 PM   #8
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
I just read "One Shot." When I first started it I thought, "this can't be right -- what's with all the abbreviated little non-sentences?" I put it down for a while and read something else. I went back to it a week or so later, and read straight through it, and thoroughly enjoyed it. I think I just had to get used to the style, but once I did I thought it was a good read.
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 03:29 PM   #9
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Like cassidym, I too have read all of them and enjoyed them all. They're not literary masterpieces by any means, but they are good reads for when you don't necessarily want to think too hard

I think I must be a very inattentive reader though. I didn't. Notice the short. Sentences. Mentioned. Above. Nor did I notice the changing POV of the books (and I read most of them back-to-back). I guess I just got into the story and didn't notice the way it was written.

There was also a note at the end of the last one (61 Hours) saying that the next one is due out in November 2010.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 03:36 PM   #10
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
I think I must be a very inattentive reader though. I didn't. Notice the short. Sentences. Mentioned. Above. Nor did I notice the changing POV of the books (and I read most of them back-to-back). I guess I just got into the story and didn't notice the way it was written.
Here's the beginning of "One Shot:"

Friday. Five o'clock in the afternoon. Maybe the hardest time to move unobserved through a city. Or maybe the easiest.

bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 05:19 PM   #11
John K
Reader
John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG, Kobo Forma
I've enjoyed them all. I prefer to think of his sentence structure as "creative use of language" and would be disappointed if he changed his style. His bad guys tend to be over the top evil and gross me out but, I guess, that justifies Reacher's response to them.

I like that Reacher is an extreme wanderer with no home base at all. I like that he owns only the clothes on his back and a folding toothbrush. I'm a non materialistic wanderer myself. When I feel bad about being so out of step with the rest of the modern western world, I read some Reacher and decide that I'm a tame little pack rat.

Killing Floor is the first published. Number 8, The Enemy, is a prequel set in 1990 when Reacher was still an Army MP. The rest follow along in time but it’s really not that important to read them in order.

I was going to describe this series as the guy equivalent of “Chick Lit” (Boy Books? Stud Fun?). When checking the official web site, I noticed a forum for fans. Women are very active there. Is anyone else surprised by that?
John K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 05:56 PM   #12
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
There was also a note at the end of the last one (61 Hours) saying that the next one is due out in November 2010.
I got the distinct impression that Child wrote a 600 page book and just cut it in half. The ending to 61 hours didn't really resolve all the issues just kind of got you ready to buy the next one.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 06:06 PM   #13
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
I got the distinct impression that Child wrote a 600 page book and just cut it in half. The ending to 61 hours didn't really resolve all the issues just kind of got you ready to buy the next one.
Yes, couldn't agree more. It was like the end of a movie where you walk out thinking; "Well, at least we know there'll be a sequel".
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 04:47 PM   #14
Simon Wood
Addict
Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'm about 1/2 into Killing Floor and I'm liking it a lot. Has anyone read any of the Jack Reacher series? If so, how do the subsequent books stack up?
I liked Killing Floor a lot. I think it's one of the best books in the series. The series itself I find is a little hit or miss. Persuader is another stand out book.
Simon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:19 PM   #15
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
I've read all the Jack Reacher novels so far - I really enjoy the books (I like the independence of Jack and his ability to just be his own man).

I agree with the consensus here: Lee Child wrote [on purpose] a cliffhanger-style book with 61 Hours.

Although - I had heard an Internet rumor (source[s] unremembered & untraceable) that Lee Child had meant to kill off Jack Reacher but decided to continue on.

Personally, I'd hate to have a long-running character die because the author is done with him/her. I should think it would be hard to start up a series with a main character if you knew s/he was going to die in book #X. It'd almost be like knowing how the book ends...

Anyway. List me as one who's waiting for September to find out what happens to Jack.

Marilyn
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote