Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

View Poll Results: What's your opinion on calibre's new toolbar icons?
I like the new icons 71 55.04%
I dislike the new icons 33 25.58%
I dont care about icons 15 11.63%
I have better things to do than worry about icons 21 16.28%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-22-2010, 10:33 PM   #61
Clancy_s
Zealot
Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I went for "I don't care about icons" because that is true about how they look.

I would however like to be able to change the size, which I gather is coming (currently they're too big to fit on one line on my 1280 x 800 laptop screen).
Clancy_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 03:11 PM   #62
rjrizzuto
rjrizzuto began at the beginning.

Device: nook or asus dr-570
good, except size

My only issue with the icons is that they are kind of large - I wish there was an option to make them ~1/2 the size.
rjrizzuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2010, 03:22 PM   #63
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrizzuto View Post
My only issue with the icons is that they are kind of large - I wish there was an option to make them ~1/2 the size.
Size control is in the next version.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 08:46 PM   #64
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Just to note: As of 0.7.10 you can control the size of the icons, whether text appears under them or not and also choose your own icons if you don't like the builtin ones. Instruction for customizing the icons are in the customize calibre section of the User Manual.

Enjoy.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 10:24 PM   #65
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Just to note: As of 0.7.10 you can control the size of the icons, whether text appears under them or not and also choose your own icons if you don't like the builtin ones. Instruction for customizing the icons are in the customize calibre section of the User Manual.

Enjoy.
Where could one find the old Calibre icons?
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2010, 11:06 PM   #66
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by edbro View Post
Where could one find the old Calibre icons?
I have the old version of calibre installed on my desktop computer and the new on my laptop. I copied the trash.svg from my desktop to the directory specified for overrides and it worked fine.

You could always install an older version again and copy any svg or png files you want to use. Then install the new version and follow the directions to override. I have reverted to older versions before and I assume the old icons would come back.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 12:43 AM   #67
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here's a link to the source code of the 0.7.0 version, which includes the icons

http://sourceforge.net/projects/cali...ar.gz/download
Old 07-24-2010, 01:01 AM   #68
Poppa1956
Evangelist
Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Verizon Ellipsis Tablit w/Kindle and Nook apps.
Quote:

Enjoy.
Thank you. I'm still at least partially dependent on the text, but I won't always be so
Poppa1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 03:49 AM   #69
weedfreak
Addict
weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: calibre
I hate all icons, I find it easier to read than workout what some collection of coloured pixels means. I was looking forward to more control of the user interface but was disappointed that I could only choose small, medium or large icons, Would it also be possible to have the choice of none? and also give user control of other icons such as in the Tag Browser?

In the meantime I will look into replacing the standard icons with my own, perhaps a single transparent pixel will do it.
weedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 04:03 AM   #70
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I'm with weedfreak in wanting the option of no icons at all. If I needed to point at pictures instead of read text, I wouldn't have much use for ebooks.

On a related note, it's generally considered a better practice to gray out invalid icons, just like menu items, rather than making them disappear and reappear. That behavior is a tad disconcerting.

And while I'm being all quibbly, perhaps the icon width allowance could be made aware of the regular/widescreen settings? Spreading the little suckers out a bit so that the text fits at small icon sizes would be nice, especially for the library/device ones. There are two reasons that someone might want small icons -- one, if they have a small screen (say, my netbook, if I ever dared try to run calibre on it), and two, if they just hate pointing at pictures. Maybe some sort of preferences setting to indicate which it is?

Anyway, aside from that, I love 7.10 so far. *loud fannish squeals of glee*
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 11:06 AM   #71
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
I've just upgraded to 7.10 and I just want to say thanks for putting/keeping the "Add Books" icon back in the leftmost side - even when an e-reader is connected.

Don't really care about the icons themselves. I just got used to where they were and having that icon move (in version 7.9, I believe it was) confused me.

Which isn't hard...

Anyway.

Thanks.

Marilyn
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 11:20 AM   #72
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

The reason for the appearing/disappearing send to device icon is so that the rest of the icons fit on the toolbar in smaller screens.

Think of it as an interface with modes, like the famous text editor Vim (which was my inspiration for this design).

And I'm not sure what you mean by adding space between the icons at small sizes. If you set the text to always appear and the icon size to small, the buttons width will be set by the text.

As for having no icons, I'm reluctant to do that as then there will be people who manage to hide both the icons and the text and have no way to get them back.
Old 07-24-2010, 12:09 PM   #73
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
The reason for the appearing/disappearing send to device icon is so that the rest of the icons fit on the toolbar in smaller screens.

Think of it as an interface with modes, like the famous text editor Vim (which was my inspiration for this design).

And I'm not sure what you mean by adding space between the icons at small sizes. If you set the text to always appear and the icon size to small, the buttons width will be set by the text.

As for having no icons, I'm reluctant to do that as then there will be people who manage to hide both the icons and the text and have no way to get them back.
Could you make that option a "Radio button" so one choice MUST be made?
0 icons
0 text
x icons with text_under
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 12:21 PM   #74
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

There are three possible settings for text and two for icons. Which would mean you need 5 radio buttons. Too much.
Old 07-24-2010, 03:31 PM   #75
rjrizzuto
rjrizzuto began at the beginning.

Device: nook or asus dr-570
I just saw that 7.10 was out, and downloaded it. I love the resizable icons. For me, medium with text feels right - big enough to see without taking up too much real estate.

On a side note, I just changed the max number of worker threads from 6 to 2, and restarted calibre. I don't yet know how that will impact performance, but it seems to help in reducing the memory footprint.
rjrizzuto is offline   Reply With Quote