Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-30-2009, 12:05 PM   #61
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demos View Post
I'm happy to say that my original post, critical of Kindle, was the result of a misunderstanding. I called Amazon again and spoke to a different person. He took me through a few steps with the Kindle and immediately decided I should get a replacement. Which I now have.
Excellent. So, it was a bad Kindle that was killing your batteries? Hope this one works out.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 12:25 PM   #62
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
I don't really buy the years theory, but it should last more than a quarter of a year...
You can reasonably expect a Lithium Ion battery, such as the Kindle uses, to be down to around half its original capacity after about 3 years. So it is reasonable to claim a lifespan of "years".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2009, 09:11 PM   #63
MonaLS
Groupie
MonaLS began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (Gen 1), Kindle DX, Kindle Fire, LG Enact
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demos View Post
I'm happy to say that my original post, critical of Kindle, was the result of a misunderstanding. I called Amazon again and spoke to a different person. He took me through a few steps with the Kindle and immediately decided I should get a replacement. Which I now have.
That's great to hear!
MonaLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 05:04 PM   #64
Karl_in_Chicago
Karl_in_Chicago began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I've had my Kindle for just about one year now and as of the last week the battery won't hold a charge for more than a few hours. No problems prior to this. I've had an SD card (8 GB) in it since shortly after buying it, has about 1 GB worth of stuff on it. I'm going to try cleaning that up (I've been archiving all of my NYT's on there, really no reason to do that - and I can see how a year's worth of NYT's could play heck with the indexing) based upon some of the posts referencing SD cards and their effect on battery life.
Karl_in_Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 05:24 PM   #65
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Since it's a K1 and the battery is user replaceable, just buy a new one and replace it. BattryShip says they'll be shipping on March 13th.

http://www.batteryship.com/htmlos/ht...0&model=Kindle
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2009, 06:35 PM   #66
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl_in_Chicago View Post
I've had my Kindle for just about one year now and as of the last week the battery won't hold a charge for more than a few hours. No problems prior to this. I've had an SD card (8 GB) in it since shortly after buying it, has about 1 GB worth of stuff on it. I'm going to try cleaning that up (I've been archiving all of my NYT's on there, really no reason to do that - and I can see how a year's worth of NYT's could play heck with the indexing) based upon some of the posts referencing SD cards and their effect on battery life.
Amazon is reported to be shipping back ordered batteries now.

I would be buying from them before and outsource.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 06:51 PM   #67
Thomas Ryan
Connoisseur
Thomas Ryan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Thomas Ryan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Thomas Ryan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
The Kindle's "off" switch does not actually turn the device off but just blanks the screen(same as Sony Reader). If you want to really power off the device, use the reset hole.
It is correct that the off switch does not disconnect the battery (it's not like a light switch). An engineer can determine this by measuring the battery current in various states. With WAN also off, they will likely find that screen-saver and "off" use the same current (very, very little).

It is not correct that the pin-hole reset turns Kindle off off. It restarts the device, which uses a lot of power. Igor is pretty smart, so this must be a typo on his part.

The only way to really turn it off is to yank the battery.

Last edited by Thomas Ryan; 02-25-2009 at 07:10 PM.
Thomas Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 07:07 PM   #68
Patrisha
Patrisha began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gueeds View Post
I'm currently considering getting a Kindle with the offer currently running on Amazon, but after doing some research, I'd like to ask this question.

I know the between charge life is pretty good, it can go a few days between charges depending on use. But I was looking at the page on Amazon for the replacement battery and there are numerous entries where reviewers claim their battery will no longer hold a charge after 3-5 months. Has anyone else experienced such short battery life? I would hate to spend so much on this device and have to purchase 3-4 batteries each year at $20 each.
I have had my Kindle 1 for 9 months with no battery problems at all.

Patricia
Patrisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 07:41 PM   #69
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
I just got my replacement battery today, so it is charging up. I've had some problems lately, in that the battery loses charge very quickly when I use Whispernet. Hoping that the new one is going to go back to the original peppiness. This is why I'm a bit concerned agout the non-user replaceable on the K2.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 08:00 PM   #70
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Amazon is reported to be shipping back ordered batteries now.
Some of 'em. They haven't gotten to mine yet.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 08:11 PM   #71
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
That darn Whispernet needs to be a bit more GREEN

Quote:
I just got my replacement battery today, so it is charging up. I've had some problems lately, in that the battery loses charge very quickly when I use Whispernet. Hoping that the new one is going to go back to the original peppiness. This is why I'm a bit concerned agout the non-user replaceable on the K2.
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 08:16 PM   #72
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:

ssshhhhh, hush now.......Jeff's crack team has it all under control.......everything is okay, haven't your heard?
Go back to sleep.........
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:05 PM   #73
detacht69
Still Amazing-Only Better
detacht69 began at the beginning.

Device: New K3 Owner
Kindle 1 owners how many times have you had to replace the battery?

Also, I understand the K2 has the same battery, but I read that the K2 will still be at 80% efficiency after 500 charges... Does this make sense?
detacht69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:37 PM   #74
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Amazon sent us a new battery, finally had to send us a new Kindle. Battery wouldn't hold more than a 30 min charge with the wireless turned off. So far things are good but we are only 40 days on the new Kindle
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:13 AM   #75
crionox
Enthusiast
crionox began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, iPhone, iPad
My replacement battery from Amazon was finally delivered yesterday. Charged it up and so far things are going great! I think my original battery was just a lemon. It was usable, but I never got anywhere near the battery life others claimed. So far the new one seems to have that all fixed. I left the wireless on all day - just because I could... - read a new book purchase, and the battery indicator was still full at the end of the day. Time will tell, of course, but so far very pleased. For me it's almost like having a new kindle.
crionox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duck!