Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 07-07-2008, 02:22 PM   #1
Zfgd
Zfgd began at the beginning.

Device: none
Surfing the internet. How does it feels like?

Hello! I am webadmin, and i am completely tired from beeing 8 hours in front of LCD monitor. Headaches and eyepain make me depressed. I saw somewhere that people with Irex are surfing in internet. Electronic paper display whould be my salvation. People please could u tell me about workin in internet whith irex? I know that if u want to browse u need to have Minimo or Dillo... Which one is better? Can u access any site or only chosen( like NY times, CNN, BBC)? if U can access any, than which percentage of them displays properly? 50%? , 80%? is your surfing in general comfortable?
Thank u guys for the answer
Zfgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 03:33 AM   #2
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iliad
Using the iLiad primary for surfing won't make you happy, because IMHO its too slow to really feel comfortable.
axel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2008, 03:49 AM   #3
Karel
iRex Community Manager
Karel doesn't litterKarel doesn't litterKarel doesn't litter

Device: iRex iLiad
Yeah, electronic paper (electrophoretic) displays are based on a bi-stable display technology which means that the display shows a stable image, but is able to update the image upon request, like for example when you turn a page. The result is that it is easy on the eyes, but not well suited for applications that require you to update the screen very quickly (e.g. dropdown menu's, pop-ups, flash animations, etc...).

I guess in time it will become possible to update the screen multiple times within a second like with LCD, but it kinda beats the purpose of the technology as it will increase the power consumption and reduce the readability.
Karel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 04:56 AM   #4
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zfgd View Post
Hello! I am webadmin, and i am completely tired from beeing 8 hours in front of LCD monitor. Headaches and eyepain make me depressed....
I do not find the Iliad a satisfactory experience for web-browsing, for reasons the others have provided.

Excuse my presumption (and please know that I understand from my own previous experience of what those 8 hours every day feels like), but, if it is bad enough to make you depressed, I just wondered if you've had your eyes checked by an optometrist? If not, or if it has been a while, it might be worth a visit (in case there is something that they can correct and perhaps relieve some of the strain on your eyes).

BTW, e-ink is excellent for just reading!

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 05:38 AM   #5
daudi
Addict
daudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-books

Device: iRex iLiad, Psion 5MX, nokia n800
I'll second what montsnmags says. I got an iliad because my eyes were getting so tired, and thought it was due to the LCD screen (reading books seemed much easier). Getting the iliad helped, but did not totally resolve the problem. I got my eyes checked and got some glasses. It has made a huge difference. I didn't realise that I needed glasses because things didn't seem blurred to me. But I didn't know that my eyes were having to work very hard to keep things in focus. As soon as a I put the glasses on I could literally feel my eyes relaxing (and not so literally hear them sigh with relief).

I guess I'm getting old.
daudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2008, 05:56 AM   #6
Zfgd

Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
I just wondered if you've had your eyes checked by an optometrist?
Cheers,
Marc
He says Im ok. It is all about the light coming from LCD/CRT right in my too sensitive pupils.
But still, is it possible to access any site? And which percentage of them displays properly?
Old 07-08-2008, 06:06 AM   #7
quek
Enthusiast
quek will become famous soon enoughquek will become famous soon enoughquek will become famous soon enoughquek will become famous soon enoughquek will become famous soon enoughquek will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS500, Iliad
Hi Zfgd

You can look at some photos of Iliad's display of wikipedia here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...highlight=quek

In my opinion, it is too slow for practical Internet usage. It is not possible to acess a lot of sites. But this is only half the problem, the other half is that it is too slow.
quek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 07:07 AM   #8
godidog
Iliadist
godidog began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad (broken screen fixed after 3 months), Treo
If I use the user-contributed port of the Dillo web browser on my Iliad to (wirelessly) read sites that I know in advance work and that provide lots of text on one easily-scrolled page, then I find the experience fine, but randomly browsing the internet quickly shows up the limitations of Dillo and the other ported web browsers.

It could be a great experience, but it ain't, and that, IMHO, is due to Irex's seeming inability to improve the device's software themselves, coupled with a recent total neglect of their clearly keen user and developer communities.

A damn shame.
godidog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 07:45 AM   #9
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karel View Post
Yeah, electronic paper (electrophoretic) displays are based on a bi-stable display technology which means that the display shows a stable image, but is able to update the image upon request, like for example when you turn a page. The result is that it is easy on the eyes, but not well suited for applications that require you to update the screen very quickly (e.g. dropdown menu's, pop-ups, flash animations, etc...).

I guess in time it will become possible to update the screen multiple times within a second like with LCD, but it kinda beats the purpose of the technology as it will increase the power consumption and reduce the readability.
Karel, I love the iLiad, but I must say its not only the screen that makes it slow. The screen is often blamed, but if it were only that 1 second it would give a totally different experience. Often enough it "thinks" for say 2 seconds on page turns (in pdf and especially in notes mode), only then the 1 seconds refresh begins.. I had extrem cases when pressing the settings button it was busy blinking the red led for 5-10 seconds until it started to refresh the screen.

Maybe I should overclock the CPU and attach a hugh cooling fan and a hugh battery on the back on it

Otherwise the eInk technology sure is very young, anybody remember how LCD looked 10-20 years ago? I'm also confident that it will improve...
axel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 12:28 PM   #10
Zfgd

Quote:
Originally Posted by axel77 View Post

Otherwise the eInk technology sure is very young, anybody remember how LCD looked 10-20 years ago? I'm also confident that it will improve...
CRT were on the market for ages, LCD is on the market near 10 years,( i bought my first one 7 eyars ago), now its time fot OLED displays, it will take them near 3-5 years to become really popular. The question, the displays are eating less and less energy, they become wider,faster, brighter, the give us XX millions of colours, But when they are gonna save our EYEs?
I would pay thousands for 19 inch black\white display, which is as comfortable as reading book, or staring out of the window.
sorry...
Old 10-28-2008, 11:08 AM   #11
firecrow8
firecrow8 began at the beginning.

Device: illiad
I'm a web admin/computer-programmer and look forward to electronic paper devices.

I knew screens would evolve into using reflected light, just as TV's evolved into being flat. it's a natural progression.

The eye strain of an LCD screen is two fold.
1.) it's a bunch of little lights shining in directly at you.
2.) if flickers with the refresh.

Electronic paper takes care of both of these at the expense of slowing change times.

However it's perfectly suited for what I use the computer for 90% of the time.

Reading or typing.

Most of my day is spent writing programs or administering a computer via a linux terminal.

Most of the pages I read, tech manuals, blogs and articles, load fine on my blackbery, I can only imagine this functionality must carry over into the illiad

-FireCrow
www.firecrow.com
firecrow8 is offline   Reply With Quote