Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-20-2011, 06:31 PM   #31
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by replica145 View Post
*vomits profusely*
Ha ha I meant from the point of view that in the fights reacher would be so proficient that he would know where to strike and how to disable someone very quickly.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:28 PM   #32
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by replica145 View Post
*vomits profusely*
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2011, 01:51 AM   #33
Eskarina
Zealot
Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.

Device: NOOKColor (sdCM7), Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbanana View Post
I think it will be a great movie, especially if McQuarrie is involved. The books are wonderful. Every bit as enjoyable as Donald Westlake's Parker books, another series about a single minded psychopath who doesn't know there's something wrong with him.

I would have preferred to see Liam Neeson in the role, but then I never thought Matthew McConaughey could pull off Mick Haller in the Lincoln Lawyer. So long as Cruise does not grin at the camera he should be fine.

All I want now is for someone to hire Josh Brolin to play Harry Bosch...and Jason Stratham do a decent job in the upcoming Parker movie.

I love this site. You learn soooo much! I looked up McQuarrie after reading your comment and found out that it's the same Christopher McQuarrie who wrote the screenplay for the Usual Suspects - one of my all time favorite movies.

Also, Donald Westlake. I don't remember ever seeing his name before so I looked him up and found out that Mel Gibson's movie Payback was based on one of his novels. That movie is probably over 10 years old but I remember absolutely loving that character. I have now purchased The Hunter and it's sitting pretty on my TBR list.

I discovered Michael Connelly last year and read the Lincoln Lawyer about six months before the movie came out. I remember loving the casting of Mathew McConaughey as Mickey Haller and thought he did a fantastic job in the movie. I have to disagree with you about Josh Brolin as Harry Bosch. Josh Brolin is waaaaay too pretty to be Harry!

There is such a wealth of information in this comment. I can't thank you enough connecting so many things in my mind. I read One Shot when it first came out about 5-6 years ago and was thinking about re-reading it before the movie comes out but now, I don't think I will. Now that I know the character is going to change so much, I want to go in with an open mind. Hmm...I think I'm actually looking forward to this movie!

I love mobileread!

Eskarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 02:54 AM   #34
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskarina View Post
...Also, Donald Westlake. I don't remember ever seeing his name before so I looked him up and found out that Mel Gibson's movie Payback was based on one of his novels. That movie is probably over 10 years old but I remember absolutely loving that character. I have now purchased The Hunter and it's sitting pretty on my TBR list...
"Payback" is also a remake of "Point Blank" (1967), which starred Lee Marvin. I loved Marvin in the role, and was prepared to be disappointed in Gibson, but I have to say he did a pretty good job, as well. Anyway, watch the earlier film if you liked the story.

I've never read any Jack Reacher stories, but based on what I've read here, I think Lee Marvin would have done a good job acting him in his day.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 03:12 AM   #35
mrbanana
Enthusiast
mrbanana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrbanana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrbanana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrbanana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrbanana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrbanana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrbanana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrbanana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrbanana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrbanana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrbanana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony 505
There are two movie versions of The Hunter by Donald Westlake AKA Richard Stark. Point Blank starring Lee Marvin, and Payback starring Mel Gibson. Payback was butchered by the studios when it came out, and they insisted on a new third act, which didn't make much sense. A year or two ago Brian Helgeland released a director's cut, restoring the original downbeat ending. It's a much better film.

Many actors have played Parker over the years, all with different names because Westlake wanted to retain copyright of the character, which is why the new Jason Stratham movie is unusual in that regard.

Of the top of my head, the official Parker movies include The Outfit with Robert Duval, The Split with Jim Brown, Slayground with Peter Coyote, a couple of French movies, one by Jean-Luc Godard called Made in the USA which bares almost no resemblance to The Jugger at all, and I think Christopher Lambert played him too. Out of these the only decent movie is The Outfit.

Parker has been ripped off many times in the movies, with Harvey Keitel playing a character based on him at least twice, in Reservoir Dogs, and City of Industry. Then there's Terrance Stamp as The Limey, Ryan O'Neil in The Driver, and maybe even Sean Bean in Cash, and Dwayne Johnson in Faster. They are all something of a stretch, but the influence is definitely there.

Keeping this on topic, I wonder who they will get to play Joe Reacher, Jack Reacher's giant of a brother? Scott Caan, or Warwick Davis, who is about to star in Ricky Gervais' new show Life's too Short.
mrbanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2011, 04:28 AM   #36
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
I've never read any Jack Reacher stories, but based on what I've read here, I think Lee Marvin would have done a good job acting him in his day.
Lee Marvin, Robert Mitchum, Fred Dryer (who played Sgt. Rick Hunter in the US TV series) Dolf Lundgren, all 'big' guys who you would NOT want angry at you. Even Bruce Willis could do in a pinch. Tom Cruise just doesn't inspire that...

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 05:13 AM   #37
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
I often think of Liev Schreiber as Reacher. Josh Brolin isn't too bad a pick for Harry they just need to make him a little heavier and a little less pretty, he's a fantastic actor so I think he could pull it off now we have cast it we just need to convince them to make it
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 05:56 AM   #38
mrbanana
Enthusiast
mrbanana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrbanana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrbanana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrbanana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrbanana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrbanana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrbanana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrbanana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrbanana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrbanana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrbanana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by melmac View Post
I often think of Liev Schreiber as Reacher. Josh Brolin isn't too bad a pick for Harry they just need to make him a little heavier and a little less pretty, he's a fantastic actor so I think he could pull it off now we have cast it we just need to convince them to make it
In The Lincoln Lawyer when Haller visits a crime scene and Bryan (Heisenberg) Cranston turned round I got very excited, but reality soon set in when I realised Bosch isn't in the first Haller book.

Never thought of Josh Brolin as a pretty boy. He wasn't when he worked with the Coens, but then look what they did to Nicholas Cage and Jeff Bridges.
mrbanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:22 PM   #39
JDK1962
Groupie
JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (for PDFs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by petermillard View Post
All the wardrobe and camera angles in the world won't make him look 6' 5" - unless the rest of the cast are all under 5' of course...
Wait a moment...this is BRILLIANT!! Everyone else in the film is a little person, EXCEPT for Tom Cruise! Think of the box office! Wouldn't everyone pay good money to watch Tom Cruise smacking around dwarves?
JDK1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:30 PM   #40
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
I was hoping for Jason Statham. Cruise? It may be a good movie but it won't be Jack Reacher.
I agree.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 12:42 AM   #41
rdfry
loving the books
rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted Nook, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy Note 5, 2 Fire 7s Note 8
I think Thomas Jane would have been a good cast.
rdfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:42 PM   #42
Joonbug1
Groupie
Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I agree with everyone about not liking the casting either, but I'm interested in seeing how Christopher McQuarrie handles the material overall. He's shown his talent with "The Usual Suspects" and "Way of the Gun" was a pretty nice directorial debut. I'll give it the benefit of the doubt for now and wish it the best. Tom Cruise isn't right for Reacher, but I don't think it will be a complete disaster with McQuarrie at the helm.
Joonbug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:54 AM   #43
ssdb
Enthusiast
ssdb began at the beginning.

Device: Boox M90
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK1962 View Post
Wait a moment...this is BRILLIANT!! Everyone else in the film is a little person, EXCEPT for Tom Cruise! Think of the box office! Wouldn't everyone pay good money to watch Tom Cruise smacking around dwarves?

It might work - depends on the Reacher story.

I think they are basing the film on the novel in which the giant Jack Reacher visits Endor and uses his great physique and strength to beat up Ewoks.

Or maybe it's the story in which the huge Jack Reacher is washed up on a beach and it turns out he is in Lilliput, and uses his great physique and strength to beat up some tiny, tiny people. Funnily enough, I could see Cruise in that film, playing one of the Lilliputians.

It'll be a disaster.
ssdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 04:57 PM   #44
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
The reacher film will be about an ex military cop who is trying for a quiet life but whose morals get him involved in situations.

He will defend the innocent and the bad guys will assume because of his size that he is nothing to worry about! He will use his military training to give them a beating, he will be fast and deadly when he strikes.(think downey jr in sherlock movie)

It's a small charachter shift but will still work as a movie in my opinion.
Is it a different vision? Yes but as a BIG reacher fan I'm ok with it.
Ok, yeah, they shift the character around a bit, but it does sound like it'll work! It's too easy for a big guy to overpower and triumph over everybody else. Seeing a *smaller* guy who has all the rest of Reacher's abilities .... yeah, that could be very good!

Anybody know the title of the movie? So I don't miss it when it comes out!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 05:16 PM   #45
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Ok, yeah, they shift the character around a bit, but it does sound like it'll work! It's too easy for a big guy to overpower and triumph over everybody else. Seeing a *smaller* guy who has all the rest of Reacher's abilities .... yeah, that could be very good!

Anybody know the title of the movie? So I don't miss it when it comes out!
Yeah, but... the muscles, the attitude, the quiet menace, the age (!!), the retiring persona - apart from when being a killing machine, of course.
Umm.. Cruise = Killing machine ?...Hmmm...

As well as the height, of course...
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote