Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-09-2010, 03:20 PM   #61
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
I developed a taste for steak in Britain. Medium rare or sometimes rare! Who would have thought? I eat meat with blood! No spices or herbs, just meat...yummy.
I noticed, my stomach likes it too. I feel great after that meal vs. any other type of meat with oil, salt and spices. Not that I feel bad after latter but I quite often feel some sort of heaviness in my spare tyre. Not after the proper steak though

What I cannot stand in this country is curry. At least Indian/Bangladeshi/Pakistani variety
I tried it once in Japanese restaurant and it was completely different. Like a different meal altogether.
Food in Biritain and in UK in general is, in spite of what envious and cheap people say, excellent. Let me say, outstanding. You can go up, and be ready to separate yourself from your stash, or go simple, fish and chips and Pubs. A dreaming experience is in the families. Of course they have this climate that makes good vegs, and pastures for their wonderful meats. And being surrounded by cold water seas, their fishes and crustaceans are just the tastier. They lack wines. not a big problem if your roll is sizable.

Their breakfast, if they only decided to import sausages (and sausage) from their ex Colonies, is one of the most elevating experiences. You move around the country and explore how things follow climate and culture. That's why I am dieting. To get so slim that I can start all over again!
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 03:35 PM   #62
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
I'm not on a diet but I should be, I'd be very happy with losing 15 pounds or so, I'm sure a Dr would prefer that to be 20 or so though

My problem is chips, I have a hard time not sitting down at night after the kids are in bed, with my reader, a coke, and a bag of Doritos.

My other problem is not exercising enough, my knees are shot so I can't run like I used to and an elliptical machine is way too expensive right now.

I'm trying to do some walking on our treadmill with some light running in there as well. I'll combine that with the ELF diet (Eat Less Food), and see where I end up.
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2010, 04:38 PM   #63
A_J_Lath
Zealot
A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Computer
Quote:
Originally Posted by beppe View Post
Food in Biritain and in UK in general is, in spite of what envious and cheap people say, excellent. Let me say, outstanding. You can go up, and be ready to separate yourself from your stash, or go simple, fish and chips and Pubs. A dreaming experience is in the families. Of course they have this climate that makes good vegs, and pastures for their wonderful meats. And being surrounded by cold water seas, their fishes and crustaceans are just the tastier. They lack wines. not a big problem if your roll is sizable.

Their breakfast, if they only decided to import sausages (and sausage) from their ex Colonies, is one of the most elevating experiences. You move around the country and explore how things follow climate and culture. That's why I am dieting. To get so slim that I can start all over again!

But don't be too harsh on the sausages - you were probably unlucky enough to have some nasty supermarket ones. I know a local(ish) butcher who does these premuim wild-boar sausages that taste out of this world - and properly butchered sausages don't have as much fat as you might think (the mass-produced ones have a lot of fat in them to make up the bulk) so I'm sure they'd be pretty good if you're dieting too.
A_J_Lath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 04:54 PM   #64
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_J_Lath View Post

But don't be too harsh on the sausages - you were probably unlucky enough to have some nasty supermarket ones. I know a local(ish) butcher who does these premuim wild-boar sausages that taste out of this world - and properly butchered sausages don't have as much fat as you might think (the mass-produced ones have a lot of fat in them to make up the bulk) so I'm sure they'd be pretty good if you're dieting too.
That's so reassuring and inviting. Most of the sausages I had was in hotels at the time I used to go to London at least once a month. They were made with bread mostly. The fat i don't mind as it melts away. But the rest, oh the rest ...
Old 06-10-2010, 12:40 AM   #65
beppe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvick View Post
I'm not on a diet but I should be, I'd be very happy with losing 15 pounds or so, I'm sure a Dr would prefer that to be 20 or so though

My problem is chips, I have a hard time not sitting down at night after the kids are in bed, with my reader, a coke, and a bag of Doritos.

My other problem is not exercising enough, my knees are shot so I can't run like I used to and an elliptical machine is way too expensive right now.

I'm trying to do some walking on our treadmill with some light running in there as well. I'll combine that with the ELF diet (Eat Less Food), and see where I end up.
If it is exercise that is missing, you could try swimming and/or bicycle.

Last edited by beppe; 06-10-2010 at 05:53 AM.
Advert
Old 06-10-2010, 08:09 AM   #66
A_J_Lath
Zealot
A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A_J_Lath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beppe View Post
That's so reassuring and inviting. Most of the sausages I had was in hotels at the time I used to go to London at least once a month. They were made with bread mostly. The fat i don't mind as it melts away. But the rest, oh the rest ...
Well, it's asparagus season in the UK at the moment, so looking forward to some nice, juicy fat examples. I always find they go pretty well with a roast - though you have to put up with stinky wee for a while afterwards, lol.

Did you ever have the pleasure of sampling some Hampshire watercress while you were here, Beppe? There's quite a few smallholdings near me, and I tell you - that stuff is HOT (watercress is actually a member of the mustard family). The good thing about it, however, is that it will still retain a lot of flavour if you make a soup out of it. If you're a fan of rocket (I am!) you'll probably like it.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:20 AM   #67
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Well, it's asparagus season in the UK at the moment, so looking forward to some nice, juicy fat examples. I always find they go pretty well with a roast - though you have to put up with stinky wee for a while afterwards, lol.
Apparently not everyone can smell it, and not everyone produces it:
http://www.wisegeek.com/why-does-asp...mell-funny.htm

I wasn't expecting it the first time I had asparagus, I thought my kidneys were packing up.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 08:43 AM   #68
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Apparently not everyone can smell it, and not everyone produces it:
http://www.wisegeek.com/why-does-asp...mell-funny.htm

I wasn't expecting it the first time I had asparagus, I thought my kidneys were packing up.
I've often wondered about this, so thanks. I can smell, and produce, it. I know this because asparagus is quite often eaten in this house, in the form of a nice cut of steak, a few spears of asparagus, and a par-cooked jacket potato, all seasoned a bit with salt and pepper and chucked on the barby. It's probably the meal we eat the most often (a bit of Dijonnaise on the side, and some butter on the spud).

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 08:46 AM   #69
beppe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

Did you ever have the pleasure of sampling some Hampshire watercress while you were here, Beppe? There's quite a few smallholdings near me, and I tell you - that stuff is HOT (watercress is actually a member of the mustard family). The good thing about it, however, is that it will still retain a lot of flavour if you make a soup out of it. If you're a fan of rocket (I am!) you'll probably like it.
I simply adore watercress. I had watercress sandwiches in England, maybe soups also. I would not know about Hampshire's.

Here they do not sell it and I always failed to have it in the garden, although some time I find it in the woods, near a stream.

Rocket, is very tasty. The wild one, with small leaves, has to be used sparsely. As it is quite peppery.

A classic, in our Summer cooking, is extra thin slices of raw beef, cut from a lean part (carpaccio) over a bed of rucola (rocket)and some thin slices of parmesan cheese. And just few drops of olive oil. I always have a supply of rucola in the fridge.I put some in the salad every time.

Lately it became in fashion to put it over a thin pizza, with mozzarella. A substantial layer of rucola and small ripe cherry tomatoes split in two. After the pizza has been cooked. Quite tasty. And patriotic.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:07 AM   #70
A_J_Lath
Zealot

^^I once heard an Italian chef say that the most flavoursome rocket is the stuff that grows by the roadside - apparently, all the exhaust fumes from the passing cars improve the taste (!!!) That surely can't be healthy, can it?
Old 06-10-2010, 11:15 AM   #71
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
^^I once heard an Italian chef say that the most flavoursome rocket is the stuff that grows by the roadside - apparently, all the exhaust fumes from the passing cars improve the taste (!!!) That surely can't be healthy, can it?
It's not healthy is you're in a part of the world still using leaded petrol (gasoline).

But otherwise it should be fine - although perhaps in need of a good wash to get the road dust off it.
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 11:21 AM   #72
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakySnake View Post
OK, I know just about everyone is on a diet.

I have just started counting kilojoules/calories because I realised my undies were getting tighter. I have to lose 5 kilograms which I think is about 11 pounds.
I could do with losing about the same — or perhaps a kilo or two more.

I'm currently trying to do it by just eating a little less of what I usually eat. A smallish bowl of cereal, or only one round of toast for breakfast. One sandwich at lunch time, not two. One or two biscuits at tea-time, not three or four. Having one plateful of food at dinner - not adding more as I go along. Oh - and drinking water or diet soda instead of snacking, although I will have a bit of fruit if I'm feeling particularly hungry.

So far it seems to be working...
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 11:30 AM   #73
carbonize
Connoisseur
carbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony PRS-600
Well technically everyones on a diet as the word diet just refers to what you eat. As to weight loss diets no I'm not on one and never have been. I'm lucky enough to have a fast metabolism so have always just eaten what I want.

Well that and I go running for around 20 minutes every other day and work out as well but then I'm in a job where you have to maintain a level of fitness.
carbonize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 02:36 PM   #74
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by recluse View Post
Technically, I'm not, nor have I ever been on a diet.
Diabetes runs in my family, so I have adopted the lifestyle.
I haven't had a drink in 5 years.
Only whole grain pasta, no more than once a week.
Brown rice, never white.
Limit sugar intake.
You can pick up a diabetic diet book anywhere.
Minor changes, big results: 35 lbs. lost. No weight gained back.
I've lost 31 pounds so far in just over a year. My hubby has dropped 66 lbs. In the same period of time.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:01 PM   #75
beppe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Maybe it is more dangerous to believe certain stories. The wild rocket is tastier, like I said above. It grows in dry and sunny places, like a road side. A country road, or a rocky path. I would not pick it up where there is traffic. It is the same thing with blackberries.
But one has to wash it before eating.