Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-26-2009, 06:21 AM   #1
saltynick
saltynick began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 300
reader library software book search - just waterstones /smiths?

I am in the UK...i'll try and keep positive about the sony library software for the moment (not easy). i am a pretty savvy (so i thought) itunes/mac user but this new software library has me baffled. even though i have registered the product i still only see the banner advertising waterstones, smiths and accessories which takes me to another internet site when i click on it. plus the click here to register your product line is always there... is that right? the search box is greyed out permanently.

i thought i could search 100's of thousands of google books etc....? have i just got the wrong end of the stick? or not registered the product correctly?

all help greatly appreciated for a frustrated christmas present user....
saltynick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 06:26 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Google books only works for people in the US. In the UK, you can buy books from whatever ePub web site you wish - Waterstones, W.H.Smith, BooksOnBoard, etc.

You'll need to download and install the Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) software, and "authorise" both your PC and your Reader, in order to buy books.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 07:27 AM   #3
newtothis
newtothis began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Saltynick, that makes two of us. Now I'm wondering if requesting this for Christmas was an expensive mistake. It has been a nightmare to 'set up', even with a very clever computer programmer on hand to assist. Now I am struggling to find books I want to read. I fondly imagined it would be a simple matter of plug & play, ha ha ...
newtothis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 07:50 AM   #4
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Welcome to MR guys. There are lots of options for epub even with the stupid restrictions.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 07:52 AM   #5
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
oh and I think you can do things like us a proxy to simulate a U.S. IP but I'm no expert on that as I don't have the issue here.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 08:31 AM   #6
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Saltynick, many of the older titles in Google books have fallen into the public domain.
If you go to The Internet Archive
http://www.archive.org/details/texts
and locate a book that you like, then you can download it easily. The EPub is automatically generated and may have a lot of OCR errors, but is usually readable.
Now, if the book won't download whn you click the EPub option, just click on "all files HTTP" and choose the EPub option.

Also check out Project Gutenberg for a lot of free books. And there's our own upload section (click on Ebooks on the blue bar toward the top of this page. You'll want either EPub or LRF format.)
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 10:38 AM   #7
nick101
Groupie
nick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-600 Touch, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothis View Post
Saltynick, that makes two of us. Now I'm wondering if requesting this for Christmas was an expensive mistake. It has been a nightmare to 'set up', even with a very clever computer programmer on hand to assist. Now I am struggling to find books I want to read. I fondly imagined it would be a simple matter of plug & play, ha ha ...
The problem is not the Sony Reader - ti's the rubbish Library software.

- Use Calibre instead
- Don't waste time attempting to buy books via the Sony software - just do what HarryT suggested, and go to one of the many websites that offer ePub format books - WHSmith and Waterstones, to be sure, but there are plenty of others too.
- Read this - Harry's response to someone else who was struggling to get the setup working

Sorry, folks, the process works differently outside the US - you're just confusing the poor woman .

What you have to do is:

1. Download and install the Sony eBook Library software.

2. Download and install the Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) software.

3. Run ADE. It will ask you if you want to create an account and authorise your PC. Say "yes" and go through the procedure it guides you through.

4. Plug in your Sony Reader, then re-run ADE. It will say something like "a mobile device has been detected - do you want to authorise it?". Say "Yes".

Now, you can go to any eBook store that sells ePub books - eg Waterstones, for example, You don't need to use the Sony eBook library software for this - just use your web browser. When you buy a book, the eBook store will e-mail you a download link. This link will make ADE download the book. Once ADE has downloaded it, you can copy it to your Reader from within ADE. No need to use the Sony software at all in any of this

Last edited by nick101; 12-26-2009 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Finger trouble
nick101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 11:10 AM   #8
newtothis
newtothis began at the beginning.

Thank you! ^^
newtothis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 04:19 PM   #9
havingbeen
havingbeen began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS 600
Got a similar problem living in Ireland. Sony reader christmas present. Haven't registered it just charged the battery.
When I look for books especially military most seem to be on Reader Web site for US and Canada and much cheaper than UK.
My question if I travel to US can I purchase books there and download onto the reader? Will registering here restrict where I can purchase regardless of physical location? At present I'm confused what are my options? Your advice appreciated.
havingbeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 06:20 PM   #10
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by havingbeen View Post
Got a similar problem living in Ireland. Sony reader christmas present. Haven't registered it just charged the battery.
When I look for books especially military most seem to be on Reader Web site for US and Canada and much cheaper than UK.
My question if I travel to US can I purchase books there and download onto the reader? Will registering here restrict where I can purchase regardless of physical location? At present I'm confused what are my options? Your advice appreciated.
Welcome to the forum, havingbeen. I'm in the UK and my first reader - a Sony PRS500 - was never released in the UK, so I used the US software, and never bothered with the UK version. Just click on to the next screen when they ask for your address or credit card details. You can still get all the US free books. If you need to buy a book then get a forum member to purchase a gift voucher on your behalf. A PM to forum member Leaping Gnome is useful. He takes Paypal.
Old 12-27-2009, 06:07 AM   #11
havingbeen
havingbeen began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS 600
Patricia thanks for the info I'm a stage nearer getting this machine in operation. Can you clarify one thing if I take the reader to the US can I purchase and download books while there?
havingbeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 06:21 AM   #12
Patricia
Reader

If you authorise the device with the UK software then you can't buy books in the US, not even if you make a visit.
If you authorise it with the US software then either you need a US address and credit card, or you skip those screens and get someone to buy you Sony E-vouchers.
Old 12-27-2009, 07:10 AM   #13
trixky
Connoisseur
trixky doesn't littertrixky doesn't litter

Well, you can buy ebooks with Sony Store if you want. You just need to declare you are in america and then, when you register your credit card, you put a State and American Zip.

You can buy books with a foreign credit card
trixky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 07:26 AM   #14
trout
Enthusiast
trout has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.trout has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.trout has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltynick View Post
I am in the UK...i'll try and keep positive about the sony library software for the moment (not easy). i am a pretty savvy (so i thought) itunes/mac user but this new software library has me baffled. even though i have registered the product i still only see the banner advertising waterstones, smiths and accessories which takes me to another internet site when i click on it. plus the click here to register your product line is always there... is that right? the search box is greyed out permanently.

i thought i could search 100's of thousands of google books etc....? have i just got the wrong end of the stick? or not registered the product correctly?

all help greatly appreciated for a frustrated christmas present user....

Try public libraries see my thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66500
trout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 11:00 AM   #15
nick101
Groupie
nick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-600 Touch, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by trixky View Post
Well, you can buy ebooks with Sony Store if you want. You just need to declare you are in america and then, when you register your credit card, you put a State and American Zip.

You can buy books with a foreign credit card
Are you sure about this? The card transaction should fail with an invalid address, shouldn't it?
nick101 is offline   Reply With Quote