Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-08-2014, 07:05 PM   #31
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
Just to add a small contribution: The only time I have ever taken an oath was when I was involved in a criminal trial. All the witnesses had to take the oath, as did all the jury members. But none of us had to swear "on" anything. We simply raised our right hand, and repeated the words that were read out to us. Nor was there any religious aspect.

Thinking more about this, I wonder if taking an oath has any legal significance: in particular, the stuff about swearing to tell "the truth, the whole truth, ... " etc. If I didn't tell the truth while giving evidence, surely I would be just as guilty of perjury, whether or not I had sworn to do so?

Just a thought.

Mike
I think it's not so much the religious book as that you are making a sacred promise (before your deity) to tell the truth or suffer punishment. Making a promise to another man is one thing and making it to a God is another. Of course such oaths also remind the swearer that there are penalties to be paid in this life if you lie and are found out.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 07:30 PM   #32
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I think it's not so much the religious book as that you are making a sacred promise (before your deity) to tell the truth or suffer punishment. Making a promise to another man is one thing and making it to a God is another.
Emphasis mine. This isn't universally true for obvious reasons that are better suited for the P&R forum and, more importantly, in the US the type of oath has no legal relevance. In terms of the law, the aspect that matters is that the person has given their word, and that it is clear that they are aware they are required to be truthful. As I quoted in my previous post:

Quote:
No specific form of oath is required. The oath must only be sufficiently clear that the declarant is aware that he or she is under oath and required to speak the truth.
When I was in court, I only swore to tell the truth, period. No books or objects were involved, and I would have objected if there had been. I won't go any further here, but if you wish to start a thread in P&R to discuss non-religious oaths vs. religious oaths, I'll chime in there.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:47 AM   #33
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
You cannot be forced to give an oath on Bible. What is there to discuss? You do not have to believe in abrahamic gods.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote