Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-23-2011, 11:27 PM   #16
markemark
Enthusiast
markemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to behold

Device: Kobo Touch
Quick update to note that the 1.9.16 update can be manually installed from:
http://download.kobobooks.com/firmwa...ate-1.9.16.zip
markemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 03:05 AM   #17
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
That update has the "fix" that lets you keep shortlist as the default choice on your carousel.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 06:01 PM   #18
ereaderbug
ereaderbug began at the beginning.

Device: Nook STR, Kobo Touch
Could someone please tell me how to install this update manually without registering and installing the desktop software? I do not plan registering the Kobo Touch if I can help it. Any help is greatly appreciated. my current firmware version is 1.9.9 (r31493 8/19/11).
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markemark View Post
Quick update to note that the 1.9.16 update can be manually installed from:
http://download.kobobooks.com/firmwa...ate-1.9.16.zip
ereaderbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 07:41 PM   #19
frankieGom
Interested
frankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kobo Touch & Glo, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ereaderbug View Post
Could someone please tell me how to install this update manually without registering and installing the desktop software? I do not plan registering the Kobo Touch if I can help it. Any help is greatly appreciated. my current firmware version is 1.9.9 (r31493 8/19/11).
Thanks.
Download the zip file to your PC and extract the contents (preserving the directory structure) to your Kobo's .kobo directory. Switch off, switch on and the new version should get installed automatically.

François

Last edited by frankieGom; 12-25-2011 at 07:54 PM.
frankieGom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 08:17 PM   #20
ereaderbug
ereaderbug began at the beginning.

Device: Nook STR, Kobo Touch
That worked, thank you François!
ereaderbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 06:29 PM   #21
clc
clc began at the beginning.

Diff of .kobo directory pre- vs post- setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndr76 View Post
Yes I'm having the same problem.
It might be possible that the state of whether the setup has been done or not is saved in the .kobo folder. So once you have set it up just make a copy of all its flash content, including the .kobo folder.
After a factory reset, all you will have to do is just restore all the content (delete the 2 pre-existing folders beginning with '.' first).
I have't tried it yet, but I will as soon as I get my hands on a Windows machine.
I just upgraded from 1.9.11 to 1.9.16, and was forced to create an account with the desktop app (yuck). I used the 2.1.6 desktop app under Wine.

First, though, I backed up my .kobo directory. Afterwards, I diff-ed the new and old .kobo directories.

Grand total of the differences:
  • new .kobo/affiliate.conf file, with:
    [General]
    affiliate=Kobo
  • new .kobo/epoch.conf file, with the Unix epoch:
  • new .kobo/timezone.conf, with my timezone:
    America/Denver
  • 281 new .kobo/images/*.parsed files (perhaps for recommendations, etc?)
clc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 06:37 PM   #22
clc
clc began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clc View Post
Grand total of the differences:
  • new .kobo/affiliate.conf file, with:
    [General]
    affiliate=Kobo
  • new .kobo/epoch.conf file, with the Unix epoch:
  • new .kobo/timezone.conf, with my timezone:
    America/Denver
  • 281 new .kobo/images/*.parsed files (perhaps for recommendations, etc?)
Oh, and it created a .windows-serial file, with "0\n". Perhaps if I wasn't on Wine, it would be a real serial number.

I haven't yet checked which of these change(s) cause it to stop bugging you about the desktop app. If anyone does experimentation around this, let us know....
clc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:56 PM   #23
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
According to another post (I haven't tested it, since I've pretty much dumped the Kobo reader.), it's actually the two records in the user table of the kobo.sql file. (file can be opened, examined and edited with SQLLite.). The contents of the records doesn't even matter, so long as they are there. Presumably, that means, you could just make up fake data for the two records. It would be intersting to know if proting a kobo.sql file between two devices would cause problems or not. Mayhaps someone could upload a bare bones .sql file that interested people could put on their device after a factory reset.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:08 AM   #24
justywusty
Enthusiast
justywusty can talk to the animals.justywusty can talk to the animals.justywusty can talk to the animals.justywusty can talk to the animals.justywusty can talk to the animals.justywusty can talk to the animals.justywusty can talk to the animals.justywusty can talk to the animals.justywusty can talk to the animals.justywusty can talk to the animals.justywusty can talk to the animals.

Device: kobo touch
i had troubles installing the 2.4.0 update via wifi, so i'm going to do it this way. when i connected to my kobo, i noticed that there's a file called "kobo update 2.4.0.zip" in the .kobo folder from the failed wifi attempts...should i delete that file (is it safe)?
justywusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:46 AM   #25
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by justywusty View Post
i had troubles installing the 2.4.0 update via wifi, so i'm going to do it this way. when i connected to my kobo, i noticed that there's a file called "kobo update 2.4.0.zip" in the .kobo folder from the failed wifi attempts...should i delete that file (is it safe)?

It should be safe to delete that file. The Kobo upgrade routine would unpack it during the upgrade process and delete it after that. What I am curious about is if you could get some information about the file before deleting it. File size, hash if you can generate that, copy the file to your computer and unpack it to see if the files inside are corrupted, any other information you can come up with. Mostly to see if the file is corrupted during the WiFi sync or if the Kobo upgrade is simply not seeing and unpacking the file.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 09:18 AM   #26
mobreada
mobreada began at the beginning.

Thank you for this ancient forum thread from 2011.

I have an ancient Kobo Touch that I never use, and I recently learned that Kobo continued to make firmware updates for the device almost ten years after release. See: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kobo_Firmware_Releases.

On that MobileRead page, my Kobo Touch is called a "Mk3". Well I downloaded the most recent firmware zip for my device (v4.26.16704 from 17 February 2021) into the .kobo folder after attaching using USB. After ejecting it restarted and now I'm on the latest Kobo Touch firmware.

As best I can tell everything seems to work fine after jumping likely 9 years forward in the firmware. Your mileage may vary.

Why you would want to do this, I'm not sure. But it was great.
mobreada is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware, kobo, kobo touch, update