Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-12-2013, 05:30 PM   #1
magic.bretzel
Nameless Being

Is there any way to get rid of the kobo account during the first startup

Hello
As you may know, when you start up your kobo for the first time (after the purchase or a hard reset), you can't launch the interface unless you login to your account.
I find this quite intrusive.
What I would like to know is that if there is a way to tweak the kobo so that I can use it totally offline.

Imagine you go to a remote country with no internet and suddenly, the kobo bugs and needs to be hard reset, then it becomes un-usable.

Thanks
Old 01-12-2013, 06:09 PM   #2
zztush
Connoisseur
zztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toys

Device: Kobo Touch, iPad, iPod and NintendoDS
I think we can not avoid to log in to our account for the first time. Because it may be the only way to identify our warranty for our kobo.
zztush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:34 PM   #3
magic.bretzel
Nameless Being

I wonder what will happen kobo will discontinue the service... let's say in 10 years ... I mean just for a question of principles, books must last forever.
And in 2 years, my warranty will be expired anyway... some people might also say it's for the updates ... but again, i'm sure there won't be any updates in 2 years (and anyway, it shouldn't require to log in).

I wonder if someone has managed to root the kobo, in the same way it is done for android?
Old 01-12-2013, 07:01 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
If you search these forums you will find instructions on how to manually insert a user into the SQL database on the Kobo and bypass the registration step.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:24 PM   #5
zztush
Connoisseur
zztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toys

Device: Kobo Touch, iPad, iPod and NintendoDS
Ok. I see what you want to do. We can not setup KT without internet connection in first setup because Kobo need our email address and setup time for warranty.
But we can setup it without internet after 2nd session with the information of first setup.

[1] Backup Sessions
1)When we setup first setup, back up these files and directory before disconnect Kobo. This is the firmware back up.
.kobo/KoboRoot.tgz
.kobo/manifest.md5sum
.kobo/upgrade/

2)Disconnect Kobo, then firmware is automatically set up.

3)Connect Kobo, back up this SQLite3 database.
.kobo/KoboReader.sqlite

4)Check the information of first setup in this file.
$ sqlite3 KoboReader.sqlite '.dump user'

PRAGMA foreign_keys=OFF;
BEGIN TRANSACTION;
CREATE TABLE user(
UserID TEXT NOT NULL,
UserKey TEXT NOT NULL,
UserDisplayName TEXT,
UserEmail TEXT,
___DeviceID TEXT NOT NULL,
PRIMARY KEY (UserID));
INSERT INTO "user" VALUES('xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx','xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx','trilogybundle@kobo.com','trilogybun dle@kobo.com','11:22:33:44:55:66');
INSERT INTO "user" VALUES('xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx','xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx','(mail address for first setup)','(mail address for first setup)','xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx');
COMMIT;

The second last line (INSERT INTO....) is the important information with the mail address of the first setup.
Keep the second last line information as setup.sql file (any file name).

[2} Restore sessions
1)Connect Kobo to PC after reset.

2)Restore these files and the directory in the top directory of Kobo.
.kobo/KoboRoot.tgz
.kobo/manifest.md5sum
.kobo/upgrade/

3)Restore sql information.
$ sqlite3 KoboReader.sqlite < /path/to/setup.sql

4)Disconnect Kobo, then Kobo starts setup.

I found this information in this site.
http://kazuhiko.tdiary.net/20120718.html (in Japanese)
zztush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:34 PM   #6
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic.bretzel View Post
Hello
As you may know, when you start up your kobo for the first time (after the purchase or a hard reset), you can't launch the interface unless you login to your account.
I find this quite intrusive.
What I would like to know is that if there is a way to tweak the kobo so that I can use it totally offline.

Imagine you go to a remote country with no internet and suddenly, the kobo bugs and needs to be hard reset, then it becomes un-usable.

Thanks
You make an interesting point re giving Kobo your details on initial setup, and it seems from the other posters that there are ways and means to get around it.

I've only owned a Kobo (Glo) for a month or so, and what I decided early on was to create a dummy Kobo account which is activated on the device.

This dummy account does not get used to buy Kobo books, but I have downloaded the Kobo Desktop software, so I can sync and upgrade the Glo software as and when required by attaching the Glo to the PC.

I do not use the built in wifi - I have no need for it.

I only download Calibre cleaned and side loaded epubs to the Main memory, and don't store books on the device, just put them on when required and delete them after reading because Calibre is my library.

So that is, there are no Kepubs on my device - I can't see the need for them.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:10 PM   #7
magic.bretzel
Nameless Being

Thank you so much guys ! I'll keep you method in mind next time I need to reset.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:06 PM   #8
notzed
notzed has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.notzed has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.notzed has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.notzed has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.notzed has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kobo touch
I tried this yesterday on a glo but the user table has changed a bit. I needed to add a couple of extra fields, e.g.

INSERT INTO "user" VALUES('blah','blah','blah@blah','blah@blah',NULL, NULL,'false');
notzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:13 PM   #9
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
If you search these forums you will find instructions on how to manually insert a user into the SQL database on the Kobo and bypass the registration step.
I think that maybe it might be more the fact of what if you dont have access to another computer to set things up... so editing the SQL database would not neccessarily be feasable at all times. But Editing the SQL database is still a good thing to know how to do if need be.

regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:57 PM   #10
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Once you have a working database, either by registering or editing yourself, make a backup copy, one on the device and another somewhere else in case of facory reset. Then you can just replace that one file. (Although, in the case of a real registered account, that probably won't give you access to your DRM books.)
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
accounts, kobo, log in