Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-14-2012, 11:33 AM   #571
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Yeah, running. Great idea. Did that years ago and ruined my feet with it. They still bother me today. Not recommended, especially not if overweight. Pick any other exercise. Preferably one that does not multiply your body weight by gravity and crushes your own skeleton under it.

Hometrainers (is what we call them in Germany, stationary bike?) work fine. You can even mount your eReader on it. Not recommended for real bikes as you have to actually see where you're going with those. Everything else is a motivational issue.

Last edited by frostschutz; 06-14-2012 at 11:37 AM.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:47 PM   #572
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
Yeah, running. Great idea. Did that years ago and ruined my feet with it. They still bother me today. Not recommended, especially not if overweight. Pick any other exercise. Preferably one that does not multiply your body weight by gravity and crushes your own skeleton under it.
Commiserations. Certainly if one is very overweight running might not be a goo idea.

And at any weight it's important to make sure that one isn't doing oneself harm with whatever exercise one does.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 02:31 PM   #573
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Nope I'm not on a diet, I just try to eat at the right time of the day. For instance it's better to eat more in the morning or at noon, whereas in the evening it's better to eat light since soon after one goes to sleep so any energy that is not burned by moving around is transformed into fat ...
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 06:54 PM   #574
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Thanks for the sarcasm.... i assume that anyone really overweight would know that jogging can be dangerous to the body...then again, most sports can be dangerous in some way. I was just giving an idea...I'll be sure to ask for your "permission" before posting in this thread again. If you have any other criteria for other threads please inform the rest of the population...

just because you had a bad experience does not mean others will...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post

Hometrainers (is what we call them in Germany, stationary bike?) work fine. You can even mount your eReader on it. Not recommended for real bikes as you have to actually see where you're going with those. Everything else is a motivational issue.
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:33 PM   #575
shootingMaNs
later...
shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600, iRiver Story HD, Nook Color Kobo Libra H2O
I'm just watching what I eat, and eating smaller portions.

Last June I spent a week in the hospital with a pretty bad case of pneumonia. When I got out, I was at 309 lbs. Right now I'm at around 250(it fluctuates +/- 3 lbs.), and lost all of it just by watching how much I eat. I haven't started exercising until now. I waited until we figured out what else was wrong with me, but now that I know(MGUS) I can start. I've got a treadmill in the basement, and my wife wants me to start walking with her in the mornings, so maybe that's all I need to do to get rid of the last 50 lbs.
shootingMaNs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:41 PM   #576
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Erm....doughnuts, anyone? Just joking. I'm still struggling and have relied on running, throwing snack foods in the garbage, and even going to bed early if I start to feel like munching in the evenings. It has all worked for me but it's been difficult keeping off the large amount that I lost. Good luck to all of you are on a similar road.

Last edited by vivaldirules; 06-15-2012 at 07:46 PM.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:47 PM   #577
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
Erm....doughnuts, anyone? Just joking. I'm still struggling and have relied on running, throwing snack foods in the garbage, and even going to bed early if I start to feel like munching in the evenings. It has all worked for me but it's been difficult keeping off the large amount that I lost. Good luck to all of you are on a similar road.
Bad dog! Bad! *smacking doggie's nose with rolled up newspaper* Go to your kennel! Without dinner!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:51 PM   #578
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've completed week 3 of a 4 week conditioning program (stretches, sit-ups, push-ups, leg lifts, walking fast) to prepare for weight training again. I hate this slow lead-up, but it does prevent me from injuring myself once I start lifting weights .... sigh ....

I don't buy any snack foods ... except Triscuits - for emergencies.
I *sob* limit myself to one bottle of Guinness with dinner ... no more!

I became a couch potato during the endless rains & heat of early 2012, and need to drop ~10 pounds and strengthen my back muscles.
Old 06-16-2012, 09:58 AM   #579
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
I don't buy any snack foods ... except Triscuits - for emergencies.
I *sob* limit myself to one bottle of Guinness with dinner ... no more!
Triscuits and Wheat Thins are my favourite crockery snacks.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 10:39 AM   #580
poohbear_nc
Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
Triscuits and Wheat Thins are my favourite crockery snacks.
I can over eat Wheat Thins, but I've never been able to binge on Triscuits .... so that's what I keep in the house ... it's a salty snack that's eaten in small amounts after an in-depth search has failed to locate the new hiding place where my partner has hidden her Fritos away from me.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:57 AM   #581
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Snacks in the house are my downfall. I can't have chocolates, cookies, d...d...do...doughnuts (there, I said it), crackers, or chips in sight or I'm in trouble. Fruit only. Fruit. Tons of it is fine.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 11:22 AM   #582
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's been shown that people have a limited amount of self-control. There's no point in keeping snacks around the house and using up your self-control on that.
Old 06-16-2012, 01:38 PM   #583
kumaryu
Zealot
kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300, Kobo: Touch, Glo, Arc, Aura, Glo HD, Nexus7, nergy Pro HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by beppe View Post
Food in Biritain and in UK in general is, in spite of what envious and cheap people say, excellent. Let me say, outstanding.
Hahahahaha. I've lived in Tokyo, LA/SF, London (20 years) and Southern Spain. Food in London is awful and the good food is generally over-priced.

The best food in London at the moment are a few burritos from ex-street vendors, espressos from market barristas (White Cross and Borough) and Vietnamese pho (Shoreditch). Their beers otoh, are second to none and their sausages, if you go to certain expensive butchers or select sausage makers are exceptional.

I guess I'm cheap but in Tokyo, cheap food can be consistently exceptional.

Last edited by kumaryu; 06-16-2012 at 04:11 PM.
kumaryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 01:47 PM   #584
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I'm still eating a low-fat vegan diet. I'm down 77 pounds, with another 25 to go to reach the top end of the healthy weight range, and probably 40 or so to hit my ideal weight.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 02:39 PM   #585
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
I'm still eating a low-fat vegan diet. I'm down 77 pounds, with another 25 to go to reach the top end of the healthy weight range, and probably 40 or so to hit my ideal weight.
Hey, congratulations. Presumably you're being very careful to make sure that you're getting a complete diet.

Are you planning on remaining on the vegan diet long-term?