Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-01-2011, 03:52 PM   #1
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
empty book library

Ok, this is probably going to sound stupid, but I am wondering if I can use Calibre in an unusual way. I need a way to organize my audio book info, and would like covers/summeries of each book. Can I make a library of just 3000 empty books? Or will that confuse Calibre too much? And then I can just switch back and forth between ebook library and audio library.
Thanks for the info!
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 04:38 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
That is no problem.

If you click the arrow on the right of the Add Books icon you will see that there is an option to add "Empty Books". This allows you to create Calibre book records with no attached ebook files. I use this facility to include books that I only have in paper format in my Calibre library. It should also suit yur requirement.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 04:43 PM   #3
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OK, wasn't sure if it would balk at so many empties. I'll try this and see how it goes.
Thanks!
S
Old 07-01-2011, 04:54 PM   #4
transmitthis
Addict
transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Nexus 7 16GB
Have a look at "Helium music manager", that is great for audio files, sorting tags, and embeding covers etc.
I use it to sort out my audio files. Then just have a column in calibre, where I can indicate that I also have a audio copy of that book.
transmitthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 05:18 PM   #5
silverraven
Guru

OK, will look at that too, thanks!
S
Old 07-01-2011, 07:11 PM   #6
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW5, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 2021
I love the 'add empty book' function - with it I can manage all my books, including print and audio books, in Calibre. Also (especially for books in series), if I plan to buy or get a book from the library, I add it as an empty book and add all the metadata etc and when I get the book file, I just add it to the record already created
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 10:35 PM   #7
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosheesh View Post
I love the 'add empty book' function - with it I can manage all my books, including print and audio books, in Calibre. Also (especially for books in series), if I plan to buy or get a book from the library, I add it as an empty book and add all the metadata etc and when I get the book file, I just add it to the record already created
I have been adding an empty book when I have finished a library book to keep track of what I have read also.

Does anyone know if I click remove all formats of books will it leave the metadata there. Currently I have been adding an empty book and then deleting the library book when done reading.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 02:39 AM   #8
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
Does anyone know if I click remove all formats of books will it leave the metadata there. Currently I have been adding an empty book and then deleting the library book when done reading.
Yes - the Book entry remains even after you have removed all formats. I would guess this is how many people (inadvertently) end up with Empty book records.

You have to explxiitly remove the Book entry itself (not just the underlying ebook files) for it to disappear from Calibre. In fact if you look at the folder for the book you will see that there are still a couple of Calibre files there (cover.jpg and metadata.opf).
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:46 AM   #9
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
Yes - the Book entry remains even after you have removed all formats. I would guess this is how many people (inadvertently) end up with Empty book records.

You have to explxiitly remove the Book entry itself (not just the underlying ebook files) for it to disappear from Calibre. In fact if you look at the folder for the book you will see that there are still a couple of Calibre files there (cover.jpg and metadata.opf).
Thanks. This will be a lot easier than I was doing (making a separate empty book entry)

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote