Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-19-2011, 01:09 AM   #1
pinkoos
pinkoos began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G
Newbie Question: How to get Kindle Singles and Kindle Blogs on Nook STR?

Hi,

I'm a newbie here so please excuse my ignorance in my post and if my question has already been answered.

I bought both the new Nook STR as well as the Amazon Kindle 3G with the intention of putting them through their paces and then returning one and keeping the other.

I really loved the Nook STR, but in the end I ended up returning it and keeping the Kindle because of Amazon's ecosystem. I'm not a huge book reader, but rather spend my time reading newspapers, magazines and blogs. So, for me, content is king and Amazon just seems to have so much more to offer in terms of the content I seek vs. Barnes and Noble. In fact, I especially love the Kindle Singles and Kindle Blogs b/c they are "short and sweet."

However, hardware wise, I really liked the feel and use of the Nook STR.

So, my question is: is there a relatively simple way to get the Amazon content that I like so much onto the Nook STR that I like so much?

From my googling, I understand that there would be two steps to doing this: first removing the DRM from the Kindle content and then converting the Kindle content into a format that the Nook STR can recognize. Is this correct? Am I missing something? How would one go about performing both of these steps and how difficult is it to do it?

I believe it may be against forum rules to give me specific instructions as to the removal of DRM, so please do not include that in your response. I don't want to get my thread deleted! But, any kind of a general overview would be appreciated. I would really love to get that Nook STR back!

Thanks.
pinkoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 07:52 AM   #2
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkoos View Post
From my googling, I understand that there would be two steps to doing this: first removing the DRM from the Kindle content and then converting the Kindle content into a format that the Nook STR can recognize. Is this correct? Am I missing something? How would one go about performing both of these steps and how difficult is it to do it?
The steps you describe are correct. The only wrinkle here is if you do not own a Kindle, you first need to install Kindle for PC and register it with Amazon. (It's free). Then you purchase the Kindle book via Kindle for PC. Then you follow the steps you mentioned. Once you get it set up, it should be very easy.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:44 AM   #3
pinkoos

I've got the Kindle 3G and a Mac. Is there a solution for the Mac?

If I've already got the Kindle, what step can I omit?
Old 06-19-2011, 10:06 AM   #4
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
Disregarding the Mac issue for a minute, regardless of what you do, you need to get the mobi Kindle file onto your computer. So you may still need Kindle for PC just to do that. It can't hurt.

As far as the Mac, I have no idea. Sorry.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:13 AM   #5
pinkoos

Okay, that's cool. Looks like I have some more digging to do!
Old 06-19-2011, 11:38 AM   #6
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Alternatively

I've never done this so advice from someone who has would be appreciated, but couldn't he root a nook and install the Kindle app on it? That way he can register his nook with Amazon and just buy what he wants from any bookstore.

As I understand it, B&N may not appreciate it but rooting a device is perfectly legal, at least in the US.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 12:21 PM   #7
pinkoos

Now there's a thought. Is the Kindle App as seamless as having an actual Kindle in terms of wireless downloads, "Whispersync," etc.?

Any links on how to root and then how to install the Kindle app?

Thanks.
Old 06-19-2011, 12:27 PM   #8
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
There are two current threads about it here at Mobileread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=135458
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=138190
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 12:33 PM   #9
pinkoos

Okay, thank you. Will check it out soon.
Old 06-19-2011, 01:13 PM   #10
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
My K3 went to eBay 3 days after I rec'd the Nook Touch.

Meanwhile, back here in reality, on a Mac you download (and please contribute for) calibre, and likewise DeDRM.

The latter provides plug-ins for calibre which remove the DRM when you import a book into calibre, and you can then convert the book to epub, with options to remove publishers' margin settings, etc.

PDFs remain an issue, as the Nook Touch support for PDF is offal (sic).

I treat all my Kindle ebooks this way, and read them on the NT. I prefer to buy ebooks from Amazon, as their storefront is much more functional than B&N and others.
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 02:40 PM   #11
pinkoos

Thank you for the detailed response. I've heard of and downloaded Calibre, but now I know what else I'll need to get the conversion done.

Thanks again.
Old 06-19-2011, 04:54 PM   #12
pinkoos

Looks like the rooting and Kindle App option won't work b/c magazine and newspaper subscriptions as well as Kindle blogs can only be read on a Kindle device apparently.

Guess my only option is removing DRM and using Calibre to convert formats and then transferring back to the Kindle.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:12 PM   #13
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Can you not get subscriptions through Calibre as well? I am pretty sure about the newspapers... don't know about magazines.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 05:21 PM   #14
pinkoos

Now I'm confused. It seems I can d/l *some* blogs to my Android phone (for example, Reuters), but not others (for example, The New York Times blog). However, on the Kindle for Mac, I can't download *anything* other than eBooks and Kindle Singles apparently. Weird...all these restrictions.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:57 AM   #15
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
Can you not get subscriptions through Calibre as well? I am pretty sure about the newspapers... don't know about magazines.
Calibre can create 'subscriptions' from any RSS feed. It has a number of 'recipes' built in or you can create your own. So assuming the magazine has a public RSS feed (or one you can pay money for), you can do those also. There's also one that will aggregate your Google Reader feeds.

However, it is best to be able to launch a web browser to read the whole article, when it is not otherwise included in the feed. Nook is not going to be able to do that until/unless they fix the web browser. And you still have to deal with the inconvenience of side-loading the content calibre creates (with Kindle you can have calibre email it to Kindle).

I gave up on all of this and just use Reeder on iOS, which works with Google Reader subscriptions. It's far less trouble and more convenient, I can check for new articles 24/7.

Last edited by tomsem; 06-20-2011 at 11:01 AM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote