Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 01-24-2011, 01:53 PM   #16
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
There's no point. This is not going to be fixed until the new calibre pdf engine is ready. It is a bug in the poppler pdftohtml program calibre uses. The new pdf engine has a replacement for pdftohtml that I wrote that fixes this issue, but until it is ready, there is no fix.
believe it or not - I'm quite content with that.

a clear explanation of where the fault lies & what the plans are - thanks.

but should I, could I have been able to find that - without asking , just by searching the bug tickets database ?
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 01:56 PM   #17
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post

but should I, could I have been able to find that - without asking , just by searching the bug tickets database ?
yes .
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 02:09 PM   #18
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

ok - yes.
page 17 of 194 hits on the word "double", as the most relevent term

ticket 1366
re-opened 2+years ago, last modified 8 days ago ( that's why you remembered it I guess )

page 3 of 29 hits if I use double pdf.

so it IS findable, just takes some inspired searching.....

may I squeeze in just 1 final question please - why are all my other pdf conversions not also suffering from this known bug - they have ll words too.

does the bug only bite in certain rare cases.

Last edited by cybmole; 01-24-2011 at 02:16 PM.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:13 PM   #19
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, this is the age when having good internet search skills is about as necessary as knowing to read
Old 01-24-2011, 05:34 PM   #20
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
There's no point. This is not going to be fixed until the new calibre pdf engine is ready. It is a bug in the poppler pdftohtml program calibre uses. The new pdf engine has a replacement for pdftohtml that I wrote that fixes this issue, but until it is ready, there is no fix.
I was thinking there might be some sort of bug about. I had to drop back to 7.40 to get a clean epub to mobi conversion. I was having formatting problems (centered text was not etc) .

Regards - John
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 05:40 PM   #21
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

If you think you've found a bug, open a ticket, attach the file you are tying to convert and the file that results from the conversion and describe the problem. Also post the conversion log, which you can get by clicking the rotating spinner in the bottom right corner. Then I'll be happy to look at it.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:58 AM   #22
cybmole
Wizard

may I squeeze in just 1 final question please - why are all my other pdf conversions not also suffering from this known bug - they have ll words too.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:49 AM   #23
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
I don't actually know, and without a sample of your book, I probably can't find out. (Kovid posted that a sample would be useless, which I knew was true with regard to solving the conversion problem in Calibre, but which I wanted just for my general edification regarding pdf structure.) However, I believe the answer is that pdfs have some tricky creation options available, and whatever pdf creation tool was used for your book used one for double ll's. Most pdf tools will just treat double ll's as two single l's. However, pdf is basically a printer language with instructions that tell the printer/viewer where to put content. It can tell the printer/viewer to put down a single l twice, offset by a certain distance. It can have a ligature glyph for double ll's and tell it to put that down once, etc. Your book just used one of the options that is less common and that poppler pdftohtml can't handle. If it had treated them like two normal characters, you wouldn't be here.

Last edited by Starson17; 01-25-2011 at 09:52 AM.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:12 AM   #24
cybmole
Wizard

thanks - I guess that is as good an explanation as any, unless someone rips open the source. I did attach that with the bug report but don't know how accessible it it.

it's a "good" explanation also, in that the bug is unlikely to occur on my next few conversions

as you know I cannot attach the book here. I'd be happy to email it to somewhere
Old 01-25-2011, 10:19 AM   #25
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
thanks - I guess that is as good an explanation as any, unless someone rips open the source. I did attach that with the bug report but don't know how accessible it it.

it's a "good" explanation also, in that the bug is unlikely to occur on my next few conversions

as you know I cannot attach the book here. I'd be happy to email it to somewhere
Take a look at my comment about "smart fonts" in your other thread. You can send a sample to me at starson17 followed by the atsign symbol and gmail.com. If you have Acrobat, you should be able to pull out a single page.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:30 PM   #26
randwards
randwards began at the beginning.

I also ran into the "ll" problem,and had to manually search and replace; it was odd that Calibre didn't always strip one of two double ls. It also split paragraphs randomly. I'm still grateful for the program. Maybe I need to open another thread, but I'm also puzzled because Calibre named the files containing each chapter (which it properly divided, one file for each chapter) inconsistently: i.e., some chapters it would name e.g., Section0003.xhtml, but others were named, e.g., index_split_0007.html, which also throws off the chapter/section numbering. As a newbie, do I need to be concerned with this? Can I just rename them to be consistent?

Thanks for any help.
randwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:55 PM   #27
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
Have you read the PDF FAQ?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=118605

As far as the chapter filenames go - you can rename them, but only if you use a program like Sigil (or if you understand epub well enough to fix all the correct pieces by hand). I'm not sure why you would get a mix of html/xhtml in the same conversion though....
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:19 PM   #28
randwards
randwards began at the beginning.

Thanks for the help. Forgive a sleep-deprived newbie trying to get out an epub that looks passably professional, but the filename problem/feature was Sigil's. Calibre did contribute, though, by not breaking the original PDF into separate chapters, except for the first two (though now that I think of it I'm not sure I really needed to worry about this once I labeled all the chapter titles with header tags in the Calibre file). When I inserted chapter breaks in Sigil, it created the new files with the Section000x.xhtml type name.

Unfortunately, though, I had to reconvert a corrected version and now have to go back and deal with all those messed up double ll's one more time! Can't wait for the next version to come out!
randwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:34 PM   #29
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by randwards View Post
Thanks for the help. Forgive a sleep-deprived newbie trying to get out an epub that looks passably professional, but the filename problem/feature was Sigil's. Calibre did contribute, though, by not breaking the original PDF into separate chapters, except for the first two (though now that I think of it I'm not sure I really needed to worry about this once I labeled all the chapter titles with header tags in the Calibre file). When I inserted chapter breaks in Sigil, it created the new files with the Section000x.xhtml type name.

Unfortunately, though, I had to reconvert a corrected version and now have to go back and deal with all those messed up double ll's one more time! Can't wait for the next version to come out!
The name of the pieces only matter to Human editing Eyes.

You can call them foo01 foo02 foo99 fo23,the numbers don't even have to be in order (but woe is you if you get them out of order later ) .

It is the order in the NCX that counts.
True, having meaningful names is helpful for editing later.
I see no problems with Mix of HTML and XHTML extensions in the same EPUB

Last edited by theducks; 02-05-2011 at 11:12 AM.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 12:36 AM   #30
deborakaye
deborakaye doesn't litterdeborakaye doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Thanks for the information everyone. I just ran problem yesterday. I wasn't sure if it was the original file or Calibre.

Thanks again
deborakaye is offline   Reply With Quote