Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-21-2009, 08:17 PM   #16
mypolar
Enthusiast
mypolar began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505 Yeah! Palm Tungesten E2
Typical -It's all about the $$$-Looks like there a bit worried about Sony's partnership with Google. I just love my Google books that are compatible with my Sony Reader with a simple click. Google and Sony FOREVER

Mr. Bezos I just love my 500,000 free books for my Sony Reader, opps maybe that now up to a million ;-)
mypolar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 08:31 PM   #17
reader22
Enthusiast
reader22 understands the importance of being earnest.reader22 understands the importance of being earnest.reader22 understands the importance of being earnest.reader22 understands the importance of being earnest.reader22 understands the importance of being earnest.reader22 understands the importance of being earnest.reader22 understands the importance of being earnest.reader22 understands the importance of being earnest.reader22 understands the importance of being earnest.reader22 understands the importance of being earnest.reader22 understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: none
It's not just orphan works that were going to be digitized. It is all works. Google came up with a deal with the Authors Guild et al who took it upon themselves to negotiate an opt out instead of an opt in for all authors - whether they were a member of the guild or not. Why should an author who holds the copyright to something have to opt out? If you hold the copyright to something and someone uses it without your permission isn't that infringement? Also there was some talk about how if you hadn't filed a copyright form with the US copyright office - google would scan it anyway whether you opted out or not. It's not just MS etc who are against Google's digitization - a lot of authors, agents, and publishers are as well. If google wants to digitize books fine but they should be required to negotiate individually with each and every single copyright holder.
reader22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2009, 10:21 PM   #18
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by reader22 View Post
It's not just orphan works that were going to be digitized. It is all works. Google came up with a deal with the Authors Guild et al who took it upon themselves to negotiate an opt out instead of an opt in for all authors - whether they were a member of the guild or not. Why should an author who holds the copyright to something have to opt out? If you hold the copyright to something and someone uses it without your permission isn't that infringement? Also there was some talk about how if you hadn't filed a copyright form with the US copyright office - google would scan it anyway whether you opted out or not. It's not just MS etc who are against Google's digitization - a lot of authors, agents, and publishers are as well. If google wants to digitize books fine but they should be required to negotiate individually with each and every single copyright holder.
The monopoly of copyright is a thoroughly artificial construct granted by law--no different than the legally arrived at deal for the opt-out as opposed to opt-in.

I have not the tiniest regard for an artist that wishes to use that monopoly to minimize the chances of his/her work being preserved for future generations... but Google does, allowing such individuals to opt out. Seems like a perfectly reasonable arrangement to me... I just wish there was more governmental (international and/or UN) involvement in terms of delineating what Google's responsibilities, rights, and lack of rights are with regards to the work.

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 12:50 AM   #19
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Seeing that Microsoft AND Amazon are in on this - I would say "Really trying to cash in on it" is the plan.
You forgot that Google is also in on this, and they do it out of the goodness of their hearts?
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 02:35 AM   #20
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
You forgot that Google is also in on this, and they do it out of the goodness of their hearts?
No, but the difference is that before google showed an interest, nobody was digitizing books and/or trying to make them available.
zerospinboson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert