Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 03-02-2009, 03:53 PM   #1
Student1
Groupie
Student1 doesn't litterStudent1 doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
Media.XML and how to create one from pc

Hi,

i have a 25000 book collection i want to transfer to my prs 505... yeah i know its a lot! Want to make it into my personal library ;p!

But uploading to device and just waiting for it to generate the list does not work properly. It just takes too much time and last time i did it the battery ran out.

Any way to upload all the books and then generate the xml from the pc. All my books have been copied to a dir with all formats, any easy way to generate that file and have it load on the prs afterwards?

any tips are welcomed thanks!

Edit: is this realistic, can the device handle that many books? I have a 32gb card so storage is not an issue... but xml may have some limitations regaring how fast it can be generated and used...

Edit2: hmm seems the prs-505 refreshes the db after being disconnected from usb... so this wont work! Anyone managed to upload a large collection on the device?

Edit3 : Found this software, creates a main.xml... will give it a try!
https://dev.mobileread.com/trac/sonyfmngr

Last edited by Student1; 03-02-2009 at 06:04 PM.
Student1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 01:24 AM   #2
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Student1 View Post
Edit: is this realistic, can the device handle that many books? I have a 32gb card so storage is not an issue... but xml may have some limitations regaring how fast it can be generated and used...
The device may be able to handle it, but it will be extremely uncomfortable for you. Just imagine trying to find a particular book among 25000 files with only two-levels-deep structure! (you can expect 2500, or 250 pages, per "letter group"; you will need 125 page turns on average just to reach that book).
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2009, 09:46 AM   #3
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Student1 View Post
i have a 25000 book collection i want to transfer to my prs 505... yeah i know its a lot! Want to make it into my personal library ;p!

But uploading to device and just waiting for it to generate the list does not work properly. It just takes too much time and last time i did it the battery ran out.
This is considerably more than the device can handle at the moment.
You could try combining related books into one large book.
I'd be looking to get the total number of eBook files you have to scan down to below 2000, and put as many as possible on the internal memory.
Either that, or split it into a lot of 1000 book SD cards and switch as required.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 02:54 PM   #4
Student1
Groupie
Student1 doesn't litterStudent1 doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
Guess i ll just put some 2000 books on there ans wait for a better device... these babies ill become more and more powerfull anyway ! Thanks for feedback!
Student1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 07:39 PM   #5
sealbeater
Banned
sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 : Onyx Boox Max : Sony PRS-900 : Onyx Kepler Pro
I had success with a little over 4000, with limiting the number of books per dir to 150 or so. Search for "how I got 4000 books to show"
sealbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert