Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-08-2012, 12:08 AM   #31
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Given its selling in Canada, the U.K., France, and several other markets where they've got retail partners, I don't think the supply issue is as big a deal as Amazon or others would have you believe, based on how Amazon habitually restricts sales of their best devices to the U.S. for months on end. I suspect Amazon just wants to create the impression of a shortage, so people will be more eager to buy a product when it finally shows up.

For Kobo, I think their lack of partners in the U.S., plus a lack of enthusiasm through retailers who have no real stake in releasing the product is more the problem.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:46 AM   #32
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
It seems to be there is a deliberate strategy with all the major e-book, tablet manufacturers.

Hold a press conference/party and annouce a new product that won't be available for a month or six weeks and then right after the initial release annouce your out of stock and expect anywhere from a two to six week delay for new products to hit the shelves. This scenario has been repeated again and again.

My guess the "we ran out of stock" is to build a "wow, it must be good, if they already sold out" story or they simply want to see the market reaction before committing to larger production runs.
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2012, 12:44 PM   #33
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrII View Post
It seems to be there is a deliberate strategy with all the major e-book, tablet manufacturers.

Hold a press conference/party and annouce a new product that won't be available for a month or six weeks and then right after the initial release annouce your out of stock and expect anywhere from a two to six week delay for new products to hit the shelves. This scenario has been repeated again and again.

My guess the "we ran out of stock" is to build a "wow, it must be good, if they already sold out" story or they simply want to see the market reaction before committing to larger production runs.
That's certainly the case for Amazon, but given that Kobo has launched the Glo in at least three to four countries (and not just small ones), I don't think it's a supply issue at this time. Or at least, that's not how they're playing it. But without Borders, and with the IBA deal not kicking in until 2014, it'll be hard to push units when BB and others don't want to take valuable shelf space away from phones and tablets to sell a device they can't upsell anything except a Product Protection Plan for $20 on.

Last edited by Haesslich; 10-08-2012 at 01:00 PM.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:48 PM   #34
lioslaith
Zealot
lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505, Kindle, Kobo Vox/Glo, Nook
I have noticed that of all the retailers (UK) that sell Kobo devices only one (Play) has the Kobo Mini/Glo available for order or rather pre-order at it states the release/on-sale date as the 1st November. A month exactly from official release and availability. There is probably some deal with retail partners that say they get the first option giving them the upper hand when it comes to sales. Suppose it makes sense. Frustrating for buyers but financial sound for those set to benefit financially from having an in on sales.

Only WHSmith seem to have the two new Kobo's available at official launch. Perks of being in a partnership deal. Maybe there aren't any retail partners yet in the US for various reasons. Kobo might be an unknown for a lot of retailers when they would seem to have a sure fire seller with big brand names like Kindle and Nook.
lioslaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:02 PM   #35
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Suppose it makes sense. Frustrating for buyers but financial sound for those set to benefit financially from having an in on sales
I don't know that "frustrating for buyers" ever makes long term sense for companies, but then for most companies "long term" means the end of the current quarter.
Advert
Old 10-08-2012, 01:27 PM   #36
lioslaith
Zealot
lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I don't know that "frustrating for buyers" ever makes long term sense for companies, but then for most companies "long term" means the end of the current quarter.
Definitely. It seems that long term is now outside the premise of modern business. It's all make a fast *insert monetary value* as quickly as possible and let tomorrow take care of itself.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:33 PM   #37
datalossfs
Ebook Addict
datalossfs has a spectacular aura aboutdatalossfs has a spectacular aura aboutdatalossfs has a spectacular aura aboutdatalossfs has a spectacular aura aboutdatalossfs has a spectacular aura aboutdatalossfs has a spectacular aura aboutdatalossfs has a spectacular aura aboutdatalossfs has a spectacular aura aboutdatalossfs has a spectacular aura aboutdatalossfs has a spectacular aura aboutdatalossfs has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kobo Glow
Quote:
Originally Posted by lioslaith View Post
I have noticed that of all the retailers (UK) that sell Kobo devices only one (Play) has the Kobo Mini/Glo available for order or rather pre-order at it states the release/on-sale date as the 1st November. A month exactly from official release and availability. There is probably some deal with retail partners that say they get the first option giving them the upper hand when it comes to sales. Suppose it makes sense. Frustrating for buyers but financial sound for those set to benefit financially from having an in on sales.

Only WHSmith seem to have the two new Kobo's available at official launch. Perks of being in a partnership deal. Maybe there aren't any retail partners yet in the US for various reasons. Kobo might be an unknown for a lot of retailers when they would seem to have a sure fire seller with big brand names like Kindle and Nook.
Just wish WH Smiths would sort out their stores, I'm going to head to a larger store at Westfield again to pick up my Glo end of the week (I'm a Kindle Keyboard owner), my local store in Ealing is big but has had none recently and it's previous Kobo range and lack of working demo units have been a joke, the less said about the Greenford store the better.

Play not having stock is rather odd as they are owned by Kobo's parent company and could potentially steal customers from Amazon if they really push their advertising before Christmas at Tube Stations ect.
datalossfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:09 PM   #38
lioslaith
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by datalossfs View Post
Just wish WH Smiths would sort out their stores, I'm going to head to a larger store at Westfield again to pick up my Glo end of the week (I'm a Kindle Keyboard owner), my local store in Ealing is big but has had none recently and it's previous Kobo range and lack of working demo units have been a joke, the less said about the Greenford store the better.

Play not having stock is rather odd as they are owned by Kobo's parent company and could potentially steal customers from Amazon if they really push their advertising before Christmas at Tube Stations ect.
I don't know about the Glo but our local WH Smith has the Kobo Mini. After I got mine delivered my Dad went into the store and was talking to one of the assistants about the new readers. He saw the Mini but didn't see a sign of the Glo yet. That was on Friday past.

I know when I was in last year at around Christmas all our local WH Smith's had readers on display quite literally. Inside display units, you could look but not touch. Strange as I am used to display units being accessible to try out now and it was odd to see them on display behind glass rather than able to actually touch them like most stores do now with display units.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:21 PM   #39
pagepack
Zealot
pagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single book

Device: Aura One
Smiths Aylesbury had the Glo on day of release. Fantastic product, mine is very evenly lit, though it has exactly the same lighting issue as the Paperwhite, in that the bottom 1cm has shadows where the led's are. This is definitely not a defect, its where we are with the current technology, if you can't accept it, don't buy it. Although Kobo does mask the shadows using a black bar along the bottom which is simple yet very effective.
pagepack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:02 PM   #40
fbrII
F. BluDevil

BestBuy now shows the Kobo Mini available for shipment in Black. It also says normally ships in one day.

The White Mini has the "add to cart" button activated. However, it shows only available for store pick-up and none of the stores (at least in Missouri) show stock at this time.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:26 PM   #41
tnforpaul45
Zealot
tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kindle DX
Confirmed. Best Buy in the US is showing the Mini available for order. So...maybe I can smell the Glo coming soon?

....c'mon Sameer...pass the word up... We Want Glo! We Want Glo!

Quote:
BestBuy now shows the Kobo Mini available for shipment in Black. It also says normally ships in one day.

The White Mini has the "add to cart" button activated. However, it shows only available for store pick-up and none of the stores (at least in Missouri) show stock at this time.
tnforpaul45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:03 AM   #42
mrmcmanus
mrmcmanus began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (various), Nook color
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapking View Post
The Kindle DX is an interesting beast, thanks for pointing it out to me (I'd never looked at it before). If you could read in landscape mode then it would actually be pretty nice. Otherwise I don't think I would enjoy it, I prefer reading text on my Kobo Vox (7") versus my iPad (10" or so) because my eyes don't have to travel back and forth so far on the 7" screen. The Kobo Glo will be my first 6" screen, and it'll be interesting to see how it compares to a 7" one.
Using the Kindle app on the iPad, I read in landscape which gives me two columns. It is a very easy format to read by since your eyes do not travel far. You might want to try that. I find it a very pleasant experience and use the white on black mode since that also makes it easier on the eyes.
mrmcmanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:31 AM   #43
thp1017
Connoisseur
thp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kobo, KT, KGlo, H2O, Libra
Quote:

Yeah, I'm getting the same - the black mini is showing pick up in store on 10/15, or delivered 10/16-10/19/2012, and I can add the white to a cart, but not actually get it shipped or pick it up in store!

I actually kind of find it funny that apparently the mini might end up being available first, given that it disappeared from the Best Buy website for a while... fingers crossed that the Glo is available next week too, since that is what I actually want
thp1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:29 PM   #44
selina4books
Addict
selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Glo, & Aura HD, KPW, Nook Glow, Nook HD
I decided to go ahead and get the mini to use until the Glo shows up because my Kobo wireless refuses to update and the only way to get books on it is sideload. Put it in my cart and by the time I got my credit card typed in and hit Send Order, they popped up a message that said "Due to high demand the item was removed from your cart". No way to get on a list for when they get more. So they lost a Mini sale since I really wanted the Glo anyway. I'll just read on my Nexus until the Glo finally shows up.
selina4books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:20 AM   #45
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
Weird - Mini and Glo are showing "Coming Soon" all day for me...
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote