Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-26-2014, 09:32 AM   #796
cryzed
Evangelist
cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Thank you ixtab, great work -- I have been waiting for this.
cryzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 09:32 AM   #797
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@xsaper: One easy way to achieve that is to filter your home screen by 'Collections', instead of 'All my items'.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 01-26-2014 at 01:21 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2014, 05:00 PM   #798
seadad9903
seadad9903 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle 3 (MIA), Kindle 4 (kidnapped), Kindle Fire HD
installed everything today, with some help from NiLuJe on the KC side, and had no issues creating collections using Kindle Collections plugin both with the kindle registered and with it unregistered. One note, created the collections first with it unregistered and when I registered the kindle all the collections were stripped. But re-ran KC and everything went right to where it should be.

thanks to everyone who worked on this!
seadad9903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:13 AM   #799
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Voyage
I'm also getting the 'moved books into nested collections aren't showing up' issue.
gweminence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:24 AM   #800
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Note that the hide/unhide feature is functional though, so even if the collection is 'broken', you can get the items back on your home screen by unhiding them.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2014, 11:42 AM   #801
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Thanks @all for testing/feedback!

I added a big red warning to the first post for FW 5.4.2.x for now, but I don't know when I will have a chance to look into this in more detail. In the mean time, please post your findings here, they are much appreciated. I'll get back on the topic when I can.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 02:35 PM   #802
jangell2
Addict
jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I have done the jailbreak and other steps indicated in post 1. I've installed CM and it runs, BUT I have to say I don't understand how to use it. When I open CM it shows a screen with the icons in bar across the middle. It shows identical content above and below the bar. The items are all books and no collections and not all the books on my kindle show up.

Since I had already had collections on the kindle I didn't create any with Calibre and the plug-in. Is that where I went wrong? Even though they are already there do I have to recreate them with the plug-in.

A description of the work flow required would help. Sorry to be such a newbie with this.

BTW, I have a PW2 with firmware 5.4.2 and I'm running OSX 10.7.5.

How are you guys creating these screen prints from the kindle?
jangell2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 03:49 PM   #803
jangell2
Addict
jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What I've figured out so far is the following steps:
1. Put book in custom column collection on calibre.
2. Send book to kindle
3. Use plug-in to create collection on device
4. Use CM to import collections

At this point, without rebooting, I've got the books in a collection which looks good.

I have a collection, that must have been created when I activated my pw from by kb kindle. All the books in it are on the cloud only. That collection doesn't show in CM. Is this to be expected?
Old 01-27-2014, 09:23 PM   #804
denydias
denydias can program the VCR without an owner's manual.denydias can program the VCR without an owner's manual.denydias can program the VCR without an owner's manual.denydias can program the VCR without an owner's manual.denydias can program the VCR without an owner's manual.denydias can program the VCR without an owner's manual.denydias can program the VCR without an owner's manual.denydias can program the VCR without an owner's manual.denydias can program the VCR without an owner's manual.denydias can program the VCR without an owner's manual.denydias can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: KPW2
Brazilian Portuese [pt_BR] Translation

Hi all,

I extended zamana's Brazilian Portuguese translation from 12-20-2013, 12:30 AM to include the complete string set from the call for help by ixtab at 01-23-2014, 02:54 AM. File is attached.
Attached Files
File Type: txt CollectionsManager-localization.txt (10.0 KB, 397 views)
denydias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:16 AM   #805
zackadelic
zackadelic began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW1
Is there any way to make the collections created by me to show at the bottom of home page, same as pre-made collections' behavior (periodicals, dictionaries, images)?

By the way, great job, great app
zackadelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 04:53 PM   #806
jangell2
Addict

Is there a way to have CM show up as the first item in the home page?
Old 01-29-2014, 05:15 PM   #807
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@(zackadelic, jangell2): (no, no).

Ok, so I took a further look at the 5.4.2 issue, and here's the outcome:

There are two separate problems.

The first problem is that there are now two kinds of collections, namely cloud collections and local ones. This is relatively easy to solve -- or at least to work around -- by having CM ignore cloud collections and only operate on local ones (which is what it's currently doing anyway).

The second problem is much more fundamental. Before 5.4.2, database entries which had the "isVisibleInHome" attribute set to "0" were simply not shown on the home screen, but were otherwise treated as fully functional entries. CM used that property for nesting, which resulted in an organization that could simulate a hierarchy. Starting with 5.4.2, entries with that attribute set to "0" are not considered at all anymore. In other words: they are not displayed at all, anywhere. They are still "physically" present in the database (which is why they are still counted when asking a collection for the member count, and they can even be modified in CM to be visible again), but they don't show up when asking a collection for its members. This explains the weirdness both in the native UI, and in CM itself.

The bottom line is: with FW 5.4.2, hierarchies essentially became impossible. Or, more accurately: it is still possible to create multiple paths to access an item (by nesting collections). But all those paths will be visible on the home screen, thus making a hierarchical organization pointless.

Well thank you, Amazon, for another update that makes the Kindle even less usable.

Old 01-29-2014, 06:58 PM   #808
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by denydias View Post
Hi all,

I extended zamana's Brazilian Portuguese translation [...]
Obrigado! I included your contribution in the localization file.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:06 PM   #809
denydias
denydias can program the VCR without an owner's manual.denydias can program the VCR without an owner's manual.denydias can program the VCR without an owner's manual.denydias can program the VCR without an owner's manual.denydias can program the VCR without an owner's manual.denydias can program the VCR without an owner's manual.denydias can program the VCR without an owner's manual.denydias can program the VCR without an owner's manual.denydias can program the VCR without an owner's manual.denydias can program the VCR without an owner's manual.denydias can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: KPW2
@ixtab: De nada!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
The bottom line is: with FW 5.4.2, hierarchies essentially became impossible.

Well thank you, Amazon, for another update that makes the Kindle even less usable.
I'm so, so happy that my new replacement Kindle came with 5.4.0! I was afraid it could come with >5.4.2. Those beyond 5.4.2 causes troubles to CM and others and I've seen it's difficult to downgrade from them to 5.4.0.

I think 5.4.0 is the last one truly suitable for the Kindle hacking lover. It allows a lot of the other hacks to work properly while don't bother us with all that cloud stuff and goodreads. I can't be more relieved to still (and always) be on that one.

Last edited by denydias; 01-29-2014 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Typo.
denydias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:00 AM   #810
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by denydias View Post
@ixtab: De nada!

and I've seen it's difficult to downgrade from them to 5.4.0..
Why is it difficult to downgrade?
gweminence is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
collections, collections manager, kindle touch hacks