Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-31-2011, 01:22 PM   #1
Somebody
Somebody began at the beginning.

Device: none
What is the best current e-reader for reading manga?

I would like to know if there are any current tablets or ereaders that will read manga efficiently. I would like it to have expendable memory or alot of internal memory around 16gb, have a large screen say larger then 8 inches if possible and around or below £260 ($420) and what your viewpoints of them are. I've had a look at the kindle DX, nook color and the archos 101 tablet though I realise the Motorola Xoom and LG slate are coming out soon. The purpose of the tablet is to mainly just read manga though I dont mind extras . The files can be in picture of pdf format though pictures are easier.

So what would you recommend ?
If you helped it would be a great help =]
Somebody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 01:27 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You probably want a colour tablet device for this. The iPad is superb, but out of your price range. It's probably worth looking at Android tablets.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2011, 01:37 PM   #3
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
I tried to read manga with my Kindle DX and it was an "ok" experience. Like Harry explained above, maybe a tablet is more suitable for you; eink won't give you color so keep that in mind.

A little less expensive (at least here in USA) than iPad is the Galaxy Tab and has full Android experience out of the box, but I can't confirm how manga looks like there, have not tried yet.

I found several free Manga apps in the Android market though; some of them (with nice review) are: Manga Watcher, Manga Browser, Manga World. So maybe you can Google those and/or check reviews online before even buy a tablet.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 02:03 PM   #4
spellbanisher
Guru
spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle keyboard, kindle fire hd, S4, Nook hd+
Like the previous two posters have said, you should probably go with a color tablet. Borders and Amazon sell the cruz reader for 119.99, and the cruz tablet for 249.99. Here are links for the cruz readers. http://www.borders.com/online/store/...ew_cruz-reader
http://www.borders.com/online/store/...ew_cruz-tablet. I know you said eight inches but I doubt you'll be able to find a reader that large for 420 or less.

Last edited by spellbanisher; 01-31-2011 at 02:12 PM.
spellbanisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:32 AM   #5
maledyris
maledyris began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-350, kobo wifi
I don't think a color tablet is necessary. Most manga is black and white anyway, right? How about the Sony prs-950? It's not 8 inches, it's 7, but it has the new Pearl screen which would be much faster than the Kindle DX and its older vizplex screen. It also has an IR touch screen which makes navigating much less cumbersome. Getting those large manga pdf's onto the 950 would probably be easier too because it has SD and memory stick slots.
I like the Kindle DX because of all that screen real estate, but for something like manga, which is so picture heavy, I think something with the new Pearl screens would be better for quicker page refresh.
I probably wouldn't go for the tablets if the main job for the device will be for reading, mainly because of battery life concerns. They don't last anywhere near as long as the dedicated e-ink readers. If you're good about charging your devices every night though, it probably doesn't matter too much.
You should load up one of your mangas onto an SD card, then take it to the stores and test it out. Then you'd really be sure which one suits you best.

Last edited by maledyris; 02-03-2011 at 06:35 AM.
maledyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2011, 12:38 AM   #6
v1k1ng1001
Addict
v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook 620
Wait for android tablets to drop in price in a few months.
v1k1ng1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 06:57 PM   #7
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
PocketBook 902
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 01:30 AM   #8
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
I have a PRS950 and I have read comics on it occasionally. It works, but the experience just doesn't compare to an iPad. Really, for comics, that's still the best option - albeit, it isn't cheap.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 06:00 PM   #9
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
I'd suggest a tablet as well. While you can read a lot of things on an e-ink reader, they are *optimized* for mass market paperback fiction, and the farther you move away from that, the more compromises you have to make.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 07:59 PM   #10
Grimm
DRM killer
Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ASUS Transformer Prime (Sold: Nook, Kindle 3, Nook Color, Nook STR)
Nook Color.
Grimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:17 PM   #11
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimm View Post
Nook Color.
Nook Color does not support Manga. Unless you are referring to Manga book in an epub format.

Last edited by jocampo; 02-06-2011 at 09:19 PM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 05:02 PM   #12
Grimm
DRM killer
Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ASUS Transformer Prime (Sold: Nook, Kindle 3, Nook Color, Nook STR)
Yes, I was, therefore it does fit nicely.
Grimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:49 PM   #13
bearmann
bearmann has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bearmann has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bearmann has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Hmmm... I don't really understand why the majority seems to recommend (color) tablets!? Mangas != comics! As maledyris already said, mangas are black & white ONLY. (except for a few pages) Therefore there is no need to buy a color tablet.

I would go with an E-Ink Pearl device - namely Sony or Amazon. Here you can find some impressions of how mangas look on a kindle 3: click

I would go with the kindle 3, or prs-950.

regards.
bearmann

PS: First post on this forum. So a nice 'hello' to everybody out there.
bearmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:00 PM   #14
Mr. Dalliard
Zealot
Mr. Dalliard began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
This "MANGA" that everyone is reading, is it scanned fan-translated stuff? In other words: copyright infringement.
Mr. Dalliard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:15 PM   #15
bearmann
bearmann has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bearmann has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bearmann has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Most of the time, yep. That said, it's at least a legal gray area, as long as the manga isn't licensed in the translated language. (AFAIK)

regards.
bearmann
bearmann is offline   Reply With Quote