Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-11-2013, 02:17 PM   #22681
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
My Father was the most demanding emplyer I ever had!
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:40 PM   #22682
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
How is working for you Dad not an offical job?

Not trying to be a wise ass but kind of confused. Different systems and all that.

In the US, you might work in the family business but you still get a pay check. Well, if things are being done legally, you are getting a pay check. You pay taxes and all that fun. The fact that it is a family business is irrelevant.
I don't get a pay check, you could say I work for room, board and pocket money.

Today I heard the exact reason why we don't have insurance. The building is owned by my grandmother, who's got dementia. My uncle takes care of the her money things. A couple of years ago he switched to another mortgager because it was cheaper. However, the original mortgage came packaged with insurance on the house and the new one didn't, he either didn't know (but should have) or he forgot to get another insurance.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:43 PM   #22683
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
A couple of years ago he switched to another mortgager because it was cheaper. However, the original mortgage came packaged with insurance on the house and the new one didn't
Hardly surprising that it was cheaper then!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:40 PM   #22684
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Hardly surprising that it was cheaper then!
Yes, if we had that insurance we still wouldn't be covered for all the things we have to throw away but at least would be (partially) covered for the damage done to the house itself, or so I understood.

On the bright side. My father was in the process of starting up process of buying this house. He was looking for someone to appraise the house. With a bit of luck it's now worth less than before, if my father still wants to buy though.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:57 AM   #22685
red_phoenix
Grand Sorcerer
red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Dealing with any government agency at any level is a pain.
red_phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:33 AM   #22686
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
Don't be fooled. Once used, Aldi supermarket's cheap store brand of toilet paper called "Confidence" *instills nothing of the sort!
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:06 AM   #22687
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Uhmmm, I don't think even expensive toilet paper is meant to be re-used. Just once, then out it goes...
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:00 AM   #22688
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Trying to adjust to the dramatic Internet speed difference between Japan's fiber-optic system at 50MBS download to Thailand's 1.5MBS... on a good day.

I thing I need to research a different provider.... The one that this building offers is NOT making it.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:15 AM   #22689
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
^You should try living in Canada.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:50 AM   #22690
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

We're busy cleaning the store at the moment, which isn't going as fast a we'd hoped. The outside door is open to create a draft. A couple of times an hour someone comes up and says something like "I know you're closed and I'm so sorry for what happened but I only need a [item]". Don't they see we're busy and have more important things to do than see if we can find them a fitting ring or a battery for their remote?!

After several days of this I've become very short with those types of people and if they keep pushing I can get rude (although my father says I'm still nicer than he would be).

Today we had parked the trailer right in front of the door, so you could only get in and out by climbing over it and you have customers who actually do that!
Old 06-21-2013, 01:26 PM   #22691
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Sounds familiar.
There are "customers" nearly willing to rip the door open as long as they see someone inside who could serve them.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 01:50 PM   #22692
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
Sounds familiar.
There are "customers" nearly willing to rip the door open as long as they see someone inside who could serve them.
They don't even have to see you, some customers know we live over the store and think they are so incredibly important that we should welcome them with open arms when they ring the doorbell on Sunday, Monday or before or after closing time.

In Dutch we say that the customer is king. My grandfather added to that "as long as he behaves as a king". Most don't.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:05 PM   #22693
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
In the US the saying goes “The customer is always right.”

The customer may be King, but he/she’s NOT always right!
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:14 PM   #22694
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
This is more of a "hooray" than a rant. I hate job-searching! The HR process takes so long. I want at least a phone interview from somewhere.

However, and this is the "hooray" part, the Museum of Folk Art in Santa Fe says the status of my application is "eligible!" Huzzah! I think I'd love Santa Fe. I think I'd like some of the other things I applied for, too. I just have to keep myself together at work here for one more week, which is hard (seriously, you help bring a place back from Katrina and this is your repayment), then find a job, which may be harder.

The other nibble is in Fayetteville, NC. They say my application's status is "qualified, referred." This is for genealogy and local history librarian. Ironically, I know people in N.C. because of genealogy, which is a hobby of mine (distant cousins who had lunch with me and my family when they visited New Orleans. I email with one of them pretty regularly and she is very nice).

I think I could move. I did spend many summers as a kid in the Pacific N.W. However, I am a 9th generation New Orleanian and probably one of very few Americans who can say they can walk to the house where their great-grandparents lived (or, for that matter, drive 45 minutes to the tomb of their greatx3 grandparents). Kind of an "always a Baggins" moment.

Rumple, I love your grandfather's saying! Heh!

Last edited by covingtoncat73; 06-21-2013 at 03:20 PM.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:37 PM   #22695
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
for you covingtoncat. I wish you the best on getting a position really soon. Sometimes a relocation becomes a wonderful adventure.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness