Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-24-2012, 06:11 AM   #121
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
...I'm starting to develop a warm feeling for them that may or may not mean that I need to consider a catheter in the near future.
More time to read that way.

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:17 AM   #122
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodlover View Post
I see you have a tooth against Le Guin since you posted the same in two different topics. What makes her so bad? I've only read Rocannon's World and The Left Hand of Darkness and they were both good books in my opinion.
LeGuin is a genius. Jon prefers Star Wars.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:10 PM   #123
hard-boiled pat
The Night Was Moist
hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo,kindle,supernova, playbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by jburma View Post
I joined this site actually just for this post! Does this mean I'm a negative person?

My first read of Don Winslow was "The Dawn Patrol". I loved that book. I read "Savages" after a couple of his others that I did not like as much, but I thought Savages was just atrocious...absolutely unreadable...by far the worst of the lot. The best part of a book for me is character development. This book had characters in which I had absolutely no interest. They all were almost completely unlikeable. And the dialogue was even worse. I guess I'd like the movie if every one of these useless character was blown away.

I find it hysterical that this was made into a movie...my first thought was...what? that book?? The funnier thing is that people are calling it a masterpiece at this point and Winslow now wrote a prequel...talk about cashing in. Good Lord.
agree 100% with you.
hard-boiled pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:49 PM   #124
jessicalynn
Zealot
jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Nook First Gen (broken), iPad, Kindle Touch SO
Fifty Shades of Gray is hands down the worst book I've ever read. Ever.
jessicalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:35 AM   #125
stop__dreaming
Addict
stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Cannot say I hate a book, but definitely not enjoyed reading them as much as I thought.

Wasn't overly impressed with 'Travels with Charley' by John Steinbeck. For a travel-esque book, it didn't inspire me much to be honest. Shame because I like Steinbeck and travel (and dogs!).

Was also disappointed with Game of Thrones and Slaughterhouse-Five recently by Martin and Vonnegut respectively. Maybe it was the hype surrounding the books, I don't know.
stop__dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:16 PM   #126
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by stop__dreaming View Post
Maybe it was the hype surrounding the books, I don't know.
Hype can be a killer, that's for sure. Especially since those expounding tend to not allow for differing tastes.

For me, this goes all the way back to high school. The teacher spends half an hour explaining why a particular author is a literary god and so on. So then we read the assigned material and feel inadequate for simply not liking it. I might have liked Fitzgerald a lot more had I not been told ahead of time that I was to love him.

Similarly, LOTR. It's not my preferred type of fantasy, but I may have enjoyed it on its own merits if allowed to do so, but no. Early on, I was asked what I thought, and said something like "it's okay" and it all went downhill from there. I stopped reading and never finished it.

At least now that I'm older, I no longer feel like there's something wrong with me if I simply don't care for something that's supposed to be awesome. And when I hear, "If you didn't like it then you obviously didn't get it", I tend to laugh uncontrollably which makes people mad for some reason.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:30 PM   #127
yhamm
Zealot
yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h20
No one has mention Jean Auel's Land of Painted Caves. What a huge disappointment that was. Felt like half the book was a rehash of the previous books of the series, a quarter was a repeat of her "mother earth" poem, and the last quarter was written by someone unfamiliar with the personalities of the characters.
yhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:39 PM   #128
SuburbanSteve
Enthusiast
SuburbanSteve is the One.SuburbanSteve is the One.SuburbanSteve is the One.SuburbanSteve is the One.SuburbanSteve is the One.SuburbanSteve is the One.SuburbanSteve is the One.SuburbanSteve is the One.SuburbanSteve is the One.SuburbanSteve is the One.SuburbanSteve is the One.

Device: Kindel Touch, Xoom 2
Hmm.. After all the hype it received I was pretty disappointed with "50 Shades of Grey" so much so I couldn't finish it, but saying that my wife has taken over my kindle and is really enjoying it, different strokes for different folks I guess.
SuburbanSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 01:03 AM   #129
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbanSteve View Post
Hmm.. After all the hype it received I was pretty disappointed with "50 Shades of Grey" so much so I couldn't finish it, but saying that my wife has taken over my kindle and is really enjoying it, different strokes for different folks I guess.
Different strokes.... Interesting choice of words in this context .
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:06 AM   #130
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
The Da Vinci Code is the worst book I've ever read which has somehow also managed to be just entertaining enough that I had to finish it. I was actually surprised at how awful the first few chapters were.

Most of what people tend to call bad writing often just comes across as a plain style, to me. I don't really notice it. I never had any problems with Rowling, for instance. So for me to actually stop and think "Wow, this is bad" while I'm actually reading something means it must be quite seriously terrible.

I carried on because I was interested in the story, but I haven't made the mistake of picking up any more of his books.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:39 AM   #131
MissKittiness
Achievement Unlocked!
MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Hands-down, Johnny Got His Gun.
MissKittiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 03:05 PM   #132
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
LeGuin is a genius. Jon prefers Star Wars.
LeGuin is awful and I don't prefer Star Wars.

So you have things 100% incorrect.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:41 PM   #133
Jozawun
Fanatic
Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen 3, Pocketbook 902, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
LeGuin is awful and I don't prefer Star Wars.

So you have things 100% incorrect.
Le Guin is not "awful", she is an outstanding writer by any standard; but you don't have to like her if you don't want to.
And there is no need to be embarrassed about liking Star Wars.
Jozawun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:51 PM   #134
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozawun View Post
Le Guin is not "awful", she is an outstanding writer by any standard
Ok, LeGuin is not awful. Dreadful would be a better word and she should be outstanding in a field instead of writing the dreck she writes.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:13 PM   #135
hard-boiled pat
The Night Was Moist
hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo,kindle,supernova, playbook
i have problems reading books by female authors... their characters seem to have too many problems with their feelings... so i may be biased against their books.
hard-boiled pat is offline   Reply With Quote