Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

View Poll Results: Does the latest version work for you?
Yes 92 89.32%
No 11 10.68%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-13-2011, 01:55 AM   #286
khmann
Enthusiast
khmann once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.khmann once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.khmann once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.khmann once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.khmann once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.khmann once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.khmann once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.khmann once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.khmann once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.khmann once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.khmann once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: b006
Hey, slightly off-topic, but could somebody please post an obfuscated link or PM me a location for a full DXG 2.5.8 image?

There were some links back at the start of this thread, but they are all either blanked or expired. Somebody's K2 update_restore*.bin would do nicely I think or a 2.5.8 rootfs_img...

Extra Special Thanks to yifanlu for his jailbreak and recovery kernels!

Last edited by khmann; 07-13-2011 at 02:18 AM.
khmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 05:15 PM   #287
Claude3rd
Claude3rd began at the beginning.

Device: K2i & K3g
K2i update failing

Like a few other folks, I have had problems when trying to run the update. I ran the prepare on my K2i, and ran the create on my wife's K3g graphite.

When I then try to run the bin file on the k2i, it fails with an error "0003". I have tried using the NOVERIFY file trick, and it hasn't worked either. I tried different Jailbreaks, using the one from NiLuJe first, then eventually trying yifanlu's. Each time I attempt to update, it fails with a "0003" and tels me to hit the R button to reboot. When it restarts, it boots up with 2.5.8 with no other intervention from me. I have also tried to restore to factory, install the Jailbreak, then try the update, but it failed as well.

Unfortunately, no log file from the failed install remains on the machine for me to review.

I also tried a prebuilt file from another source, which caused the same 0003 error.

Any suggestions or thoughts on what I may have missed?
Claude3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 06:48 PM   #288
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
I don't want to sound mean, but I said dozens of times to post your logs if you have problems. However, (not just you) most people don't. If you don't see any log files, say so. I don't know what to do otherwise.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 03:07 PM   #289
Claude3rd

Logs

I had no logfile from the update, just the prepare and the backup. I copied the files as .txt so I could upload them.

Thanks for reading.
Attached Files
File Type: txt make-package.txt (478.6 KB, 356 views)
File Type: txt make-backup.txt (278 Bytes, 243 views)
File Type: txt make-image.txt (440 Bytes, 248 views)
Old 07-18-2011, 05:15 PM   #290
Claude3rd

Dang it

Now I feel like an idiot. I finally read my make-backup and see an error message about space. Would an error in the backup stage prevent an update?

At least I know now to rerun the backup.
Old 07-18-2011, 05:37 PM   #291
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude3rd View Post
Now I feel like an idiot. I finally read my make-backup and see an error message about space. Would an error in the backup stage prevent an update?

At least I know now to rerun the backup.
Yup, for your protection, any error will make the installer exit. You need at least 2GB free space (to be safe).
Old 07-19-2011, 08:12 PM   #292
Claude3rd

Thumbs up It's working

Thanks again, yifanlu. It's amazing how things work when you actually follow the directions. My K2i is now running 3.1, and I've had no problems.

Thanks for your incredible work on this.

Want to try adding ios5 to my iphone 3g now?

(There was supposed to be a winking icon there, but it isn't showing up on my screen)
Old 07-19-2011, 09:29 PM   #293
khmann
Enthusiast
khmann once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.khmann once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.khmann once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.khmann once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.khmann once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.khmann once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.khmann once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.khmann once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.khmann once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.khmann once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.khmann once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: b006
Please, someone help me with a K2 2.5.8 image (I now prefer B002 - US Wireless), but would be grateful for anything.
khmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 09:08 PM   #294
tekkasit
Groupie
tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, KV, KOA3
Working on my Kindle DX Graphite.
tekkasit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 08:50 PM   #295
thebestjeter
Addict
thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi and Kindle DX Graphite
I can't really read this long thread, so I ask:

Can I run a Kindle 3 Wifi only 3.1 firmware on my Kindle DXG and still have access to 3G Network?

Can I install Doukan after installing this update? If so, should I use the Kindle DXG installer or the Kindle 3 Wifi installer?

Thanks in advance.
thebestjeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 05:16 AM   #296
DickeFix
Enthusiast
DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 3Wifi+3G and DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebestjeter View Post
I can't really read this long thread, so I ask:

Can I run a Kindle 3 Wifi only 3.1 firmware on my Kindle DXG and still have access to 3G Network?
I think it works but the master himself has to confirm it. Otherwise there is an unofficial upgrade floating around on torrent sites. If you want to try it out, be sure to follow the instructions and make a recovery pack so you don´t risk bricking the DXG. Also be sure to turn off the 3G on your DXG everytime before shutting it off since there is a bug that otherwise runs the batteries flat within a few hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebestjeter View Post
Can I install Doukan after installing this update? If so, should I use the Kindle DXG installer or the Kindle 3 Wifi installer?
There are two options. See post 181 in this thread.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...127969&page=13

Last edited by DickeFix; 07-29-2011 at 08:09 AM.
DickeFix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 05:29 AM   #297
shikuru
shikuru began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
I think I have run into a dead end trying to install this software. It was really my fault as I have tried running the prepare script on a 2.5.7 Kindle DX graphite. Now it won't let me install the 2.5.8 update nor any other update files I try.

The jailbreak update_jailbreak_0.4_dxg_install.bin installed fine once (if I remember correctly). Now, whenever I copy it onto the device, it gets deleted automatically.

Update_kindle_2.5.8_B009.bin starts running but fails, no error code is displayed and then the Kindle reboots. I tried playing with the ;debugOn and ;dumpMessages, but no file appears on the device. It seems debug mode disactivates automatically upon reboot, so I don't know how to get logs on why the update fails.

update_dxg-2.5.8-prepare_kindle.bin gets deleted on the device now whenever I copy it on there.

Anybody have any ideas? Help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

PS. I am using Ubuntu 11.04, don't know if that matters.
shikuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 07:10 AM   #298
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector

Quote:
Originally Posted by shikuru View Post
I think I have run into a dead end trying to install this software. It was really my fault as I have tried running the prepare script on a 2.5.7 Kindle DX graphite. Now it won't let me install the 2.5.8 update nor any other update files I try.

The jailbreak update_jailbreak_0.4_dxg_install.bin installed fine once (if I remember correctly). Now, whenever I copy it onto the device, it gets deleted automatically.

Update_kindle_2.5.8_B009.bin starts running but fails, no error code is displayed and then the Kindle reboots. I tried playing with the ;debugOn and ;dumpMessages, but no file appears on the device. It seems debug mode disactivates automatically upon reboot, so I don't know how to get logs on why the update fails.

update_dxg-2.5.8-prepare_kindle.bin gets deleted on the device now whenever I copy it on there.

Anybody have any ideas? Help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

PS. I am using Ubuntu 11.04, don't know if that matters.
It appears that your kindle has some custom hack/script that deletes updates, because no code on a stock kindle deletes any update file before running it.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:00 AM   #299
shikuru
shikuru began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
Quote:
Originally Posted by yifanlu View Post
It appears that your kindle has some custom hack/script that deletes updates, because no code on a stock kindle deletes any update file before running it.
Oh yes indeed, I did try one other hack, the updates-provider one mentioned in https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122000 . Maybe what happens now is the kindle runs the update file, fails/doesn't do anything, exits and then deletes the file? Is there anything the prepare script does that could trigger such a behavior?

EDIT: I found the log file in the documents-directory. Here's a relevant snippet:
Code:
110729:114843 system: I S50updater:def:Applying update /mnt/us/Update_kindle_2.5.8_B009.bin
110729:114843 system: I S50updater:def:Size of update: 5560209 bytes
110729:114843 system: I S50updater:def:Version before update: 009-TNM0.9-055065
110729:114843 system: I _otaupexec:def:processing update /mnt/us/Update_kindle_2.5.8_B009.bin
110729:114843 system: I _otaupexec:def:version is "FC02"
110729:114849 system: I _otaupexec:def:update image checksum OK
110729:114858 system: E _otaupexec:def:signature verification failed on "09/update-09-495460008-550650009.bin"
110729:114858 system: E _otaupexec:def:signature verification failed
110729:114859 system: I mntroot:def:Making root filesystem read-only
110729:114859 system: E S50updater:def:OTA update failed (1)
110729:114859 system: I S50updater:def:Deleting OTA bundle file "/mnt/us/Update_kindle_2.5.8_B009.bin"
Ah yes, and I think the jailbreak is active. There are some lines in the logfile referring to it. I get an error code U007 when trying to go to 2.5.8 now, then the file gets deleted. Ideas?

Last edited by shikuru; 07-29-2011 at 11:22 AM. Reason: I think I found something!
shikuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 06:38 PM   #300
CTH
Zealot
CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have successfully hacked my kindle DXG to 3.2.1 but now I want to put in a custom screensaver. First, is that possible?

Assuming that it is, if I follow this guide with my hacked DXG I assume that I would start on step 3 but what file should I choose there? A DXG or a kindle 3?

And thanks for the possibility for the 3.2.1, it is awesome!
CTH is offline   Reply With Quote