Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 10-31-2010, 06:35 PM   #1
swanberg
swanberg began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Post Purchased Nook content syncing with Calibre

I buy most of my ebooks straight from my Nook.

I haven't found a good way to manage these books with Calibre (OS X) yet.

The best way I've found to get my newly purchased books into Calibre is to open the Nook in the finder, sort my books by date, and then drag the new books onto Calibre to add them.

Sometimes when I plug in my Nook and browse the content through Calibre, I can see the new books. But they're not in my Calibre library.

Dragging the books from the Nook to the Calibre with the finder will add the book to my Calibre library, but if I change any of the metadata, that change doesn't get reflected on the Nook. Or, if I change the metadata and then use 'send to device' with the newly updated books I end up with two copies of the book on the Nook - one in BN content (with old metadata) and one in My Documents (with new metadata).

It would seem that I should be able to 'sync' my BN/Nook purchased content with Calibre. I.E. when I plug in the Nook, Calibre should detect the new content and add it to the Calibre library. Any changes can be sent to the Nook either automatically, or with "send to device." But the book shouldn't be *duplicated* on the Nook when "send to device" is used.

Is that clear? I've searched the forum for this problem, but apparently today my search-fu is weak.

Thanks.
swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 08:24 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
syncing is never going to happen. The number of possible problems with that are legion.

You can add books from your device to calibre by right clicking on them and selecting add to library (or dragging and dropping them onto the calibre icon in the toolbar).

Since the Nook exposes no metadata database for manipulation via the USB connection, metadata updates have no way of being propagated to the device except by resending the books. If you want automatic metadata propagation get a SONY.

The best workflow I'd suggest for you is:

right click on the books, to add them to calibre, then delete from device. Then re-send using calibre.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 11:25 PM   #3
swanberg
swanberg began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Thanks, Kovid!
swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:29 AM   #4
Rick Riss
Rick Riss began at the beginning.

Device: Nook color
All that makes sense to me also. However, I haven't been able to figure out how to delete the extra copy on the nook that shows up without a cover. Only one copy shows up at B&N online. Any suggestions?
Rick Riss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, calibre conversion, nook, sync