Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 12-06-2009, 06:55 PM   #1
cyberbaffled
Author&Publisher
cyberbaffled began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
adjusting toc.ncx file to restore missing chapters viewed in Adobe Digital Editions

I've exported a "book" of .indd format files (each of which a chapter) to an epub file. The process creates an OEBPS folder containing the .indd files in xhtml format and a toc.ncx file which supposedly contains the information enabling Adobe Digital Editions to display a list of selectable chapters in its left-most column. However, I had to change many of the tags in those xhtml files using Dreamweaver. After those changes some of the chapters are no longer incorporated into the .epub file when it's viewed using Digital Editions (even though the xhtml for the chapters that view are identical -except for chapter names- to the xhtml for chapters that don't view). Curiously, the chapter titles are present in the left-most column but clicking on them produces no result. My guess is that after changes were made to the xhtml files (using Dreamweaver) corresponding changes must be made to the toc.ncx file. However, I can't find an application that will open it. Does anyone know how to open the toc.ncx file and whether, once opened, adjustments are possible which would solve the above described problem?
cyberbaffled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 06:57 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
toc.ncx is just a text file. Notepad will open it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2009, 08:38 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Directly editing the toc.ncx is one option. Another is to delete the toc.ncx and form a ZIP of what is left and run the .zip through Calibre with epub as the output format. This might change other aspects of the files, but it should automatically produce an epub with a good toc.ncx for you.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 09:25 PM   #4
cyberbaffled
Author&Publisher

I should have known! I didn't try notepad because WinXP didn't list it as an option so I thought it must be something exotic.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:34 PM   #5
cyberbaffled
Author&Publisher

I actually attempted precisely what you suggest, but since the last time I used Calibre I've forgotten how it works and I wasn't able to find the folder with the toc.cnx file. I put off until later this evening searching for it more thoroughly. I couldn't find it in My Docs>eBooks, etc. or Documents and Settings>Administrator.
Advert
Old 12-06-2009, 09:44 PM   #6
cyberbaffled
Author&Publisher

Opened the toc.ncx file using notepad and everything's there. The problem must be that the missing chapters have tags that violate xml or xhtml and therefore Digital Editions wont accomodate them.