Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-08-2012, 08:50 AM   #46
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by addmyn View Post
where's the download link?
We have the images, but there is no way at the moment for anyone to install them.

There is a fairly recent (within the last month) post or two here that mentions them. You should be able to find them.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:54 AM   #47
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
We have the images, but there is no way at the moment for anyone to install them.
That's not true. If you have a "semi-bricked" PW, which still gives you a way to boot into diags or USB downloader mode, there is a way to install them, and there is a use case in which they are useful.

"There is no known way to install them if you have a vanilla FW 5.3.0" is a different statement, and that one seems to be true at the moment.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2012, 08:57 AM   #48
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
"There is no known way to install them if you have a vanilla FW 5.3.0" is a different statement, and that one seems to be true at the moment.
That is the context that the O.P. cut out of the quote in his query.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:00 AM   #49
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That is the context that the O.P. cut out of the quote in his query.
But then, your original statement "You should be able to downgrade with them until 5.3.0 is dealt with." makes no sense.

You can't downgrade until 5.3.0 is dealt with. And once it is, downgrading isn't necessary anymore.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:06 AM   #50
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
But then, your original statement "You should be able to downgrade with them until 5.3.0 is dealt with." makes no sense.

You can't downgrade until 5.3.0 is dealt with. And once it is, downgrading isn't necessary anymore.
It makes sense if you read the posts in chronological order.

At the time I made that post, it had not yet been reported that the known procedure of 5.2 did not work.

- - - -

None of which is significant to my intent.
My intent was for that person to push the search button for themselves.
That was a "post #1" find it for me request.
Advert
Old 11-08-2012, 09:07 AM   #51
sparrowlight
Zealot
sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Touch as backup
Sorry, guys. Maybe I am a dimwit but I'm still not really sure if I can safely upgrade to 5.3 -- any conclusion on that? I am not running/don't need to run any hacks besides the screensaver one. Thanks.
sparrowlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:10 AM   #52
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowlight View Post
Sorry, guys. Maybe I am a dimwit but I'm still not really sure if I can safely upgrade to 5.3 -- any conclusion on that? I am not running/don't need to run any hacks besides the screensaver one. Thanks.
In answer to your question:
You will lose your screensavers.

You will also lose access to making after-market modifications to the machine which you own.
Which may or may not be a safety issue in your mind.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:22 AM   #53
sparrowlight
Zealot
sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.

Quote:
In answer to your question:
You will lose your screensavers.

You will also lose access to making after-market modifications to the machine which you own.
Which may or may not be a safety issue in your mind.
Ok -- thanks for the straightforward answer. I realized I'm in the developer's corner but I am most certainly NOT a developer myself.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:23 AM   #54
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
It makes sense if you read the posts in chronological order.

At the time I made that post, it had not yet been reported that the known procedure of 5.2 did not work.
Yeah, right. My bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowlight View Post
What knc1 said, essentially. If you're upgrading to 5.3.0, you are locking yourself out regarding any further modifications. (At least for the time being. We may, or may not, find another exploit). It's Amazon who started the arms race, not us.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:25 AM   #55
sparrowlight
Zealot

Quote:
Yeah, right. My bad

What knc1 said, essentially. If you're upgrading to 5.3.0, you are locking yourself out regarding any further modifications. (At least for the time being. We may, or may not, find another exploit). It's Amazon who started the arms race, not us.
Makes sense to me. I will hold off for the time being -- thanks!
Old 11-08-2012, 10:16 AM   #56
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Seems like Amazon has now officially declared war on us.
Amazon is not alone there.

EDIT: Kindle jailbreaking will become illegal in the USA in January 2013.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-575...soles-tablets/
Quote:
While smartphone jailbreaking remains legal, new rules published by the U.S. Copyright Office dictate that cracking DVDs, gaming consoles, and tablets is against the law.
It turns out that jailbreaking tablets and ereaders such as kindles will become illegal because the DMCA exemption will only include devices that can also be used as a cellphone.

That seems backwards to me -- cellphones are even more vulnerable than wifi-only devices...

EDIT: What is strange about this new ruling is that if you read the HISTORY of the DMCA exemptions, you will see that a reason given for them is so that blind users can listen to their ebooks even if the publisher disabled Text-To-Speech for that ebook. Apparently blind users will now have to rely on listening to their ebooks on a cellphone but NOT an ereader.

EDIT2: It was reported that the new rule has a "grandfather clause" that lets you keep using jailbroken devices, as long as the jailbreak was installed BEFORE January 2013.

Last edited by geekmaster; 11-08-2012 at 10:32 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:27 AM   #57
kim1406
Connoisseur
kim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: kindle paperwhite
From Amazon website:
Quote:
We have a new, free software update available for the Kindle Paperwhite that you can download. The software update will also be delivered automatically via Wi-Fi to your Kindle Paperwhite.
Does this mean we have to stop the wifi or the PW will be automatically updated?
kim1406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:30 AM   #58
sparrowlight
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kim1406 View Post
From Amazon website:

Does this mean we have to stop the wifi or the PW will be automatically updated?
If you leave the wifi on, the update will download and run on your device automatically. Usually Amazon sends these out in waves, so it might not be today, but it will happen eventually.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:37 AM   #59
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Amazon is not alone there.

EDIT: Kindle jailbreaking will become illegal in the USA in January 2013.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-575...soles-tablets/
It turns out that jailbreaking tablets and ereaders such as kindles will become illegal because the DMCA exemption will only include devices that can also be used as a cellphone.

That seems backwards to me -- cellphones are even more vulnerable than wifi-only devices...
And in some locally breaking news (your reading it here):

Both Kindle Paperwhite firmware version 5.2.0 and version 5.3.0 contain object code covered by GPLv3.
(The gnutls 2.8.4 distribution. See the "COPYING" file in the root of the source code tree for gnutls.)

Of pertinence here:
Section 6 Conveying Non-Source Forms. - "Installation Information"

Translation:
Owners of the Kindle Paperwhite should ask Amazon for the information specified (their encryption keys, among other things).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Installation Information
"Installation Information" for a User Product means any methods,
procedures, authorization keys, or other information required to install
and execute modified versions of a covered work in that User Product from
a modified version of its Corresponding Source. The information must
suffice to ensure that the continued functioning of the modified object
code is in no case prevented or interfered with solely because
modification has been made.
I don't own a Kindle Paperwhite, I can't do it for you.
Go get'm tigers!
Old 11-08-2012, 10:41 AM   #60
Akirainblack
abibliophobic
Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV jailbroken
I just don't get it.
Jailbreaking an Apple device allows things like Cydia to be installed and opens the device for piracy. (Which is apparently acceptable).
Jailbreaking a Kindle allows extra features that Amazon didn't include and doesn't open any doors at all to piracy which weren't already there. (Which is apparently unacceptable).
I can't wait to see Apple comply with "Users are allowed to install unapproved applications or switch carriers on their smartphones. "Users are allowed to install unapproved applications or switch carriers on their smartphones."
Games consoles have either hardware modifications or software modifications and I can't think of a single one which needs to be Jailbroken (as in the way both the iPhone was by GeoHot and the PS3 was by fa1l0verfl0w) any more (In fact the only one I know of which was jailbroken was the PS3).
Akirainblack is offline   Reply With Quote