Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-27-2013, 09:20 PM   #106
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Well, it's nice to hear they didn't have a bad batch of batteries. Sometimes, I'd rather be wrong, and it was just one of several possibilities. As far as anyone giving Kobo a hard time about not being quicker to respond, that's a bit silly. It does take a while sometimes to look into things, and frankly, like it or not, they're on their own schedule, not ours. Further, they're running a business and have to be careful about not jumping to conclusions, moreso than we.

The best part is that if it's software, annoying as it may be to figure out, it's potentially far less trouble and cost than swapping out readers.

Let's just hope they figure out why it seems to be affecting some more than others.

I'm at 120.5 hours total since charging, with 10 hours of that reading with lighting on low, and still at 86% according to the battery meter. Seems to be on-track to me. It also seems that the real question may be, "Why are some having an issue and not others?"

Last edited by TechniSol; 02-28-2013 at 12:28 AM. Reason: My tablet apparently came with Auto-mistake...
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:02 AM   #107
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
Well, it's nice to hear they didn't have a bad batch of batteries.

Quote:
Sometimes, I'd rather be wrong, and it was just one of several possibilities. As far as anyone giving Kobo a hard time about not being quicker to respond, that's a bit silly. It does take a while sometimes to look into things, and frankly, like it or not, they're on their own schedule, not ours. Further, they're running a business and have to be careful about not jumping to conclusions, moreso than we.
Yep, I agree.

Quote:
The best part is that if it's software, annoying as it may be to figure out, it's potentially far less trouble and cost than swapping out readers.

Let's just hope they figure out why it seems to be affecting some more than others.

I'm at 120.5 hours total since charging, with 10 hours of that reading with lighting on low, and still at 86% according to the battery meter. Seems to be on-track to me. It also seems that the real question may be, "Why are some having an issue and not others?"
Nice battery indeed Thanks for keeping track.

When you sleep your device, do you go to the home screen first? Or just sleep from within the book?
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2013, 09:51 AM   #108
dixieknits
Addict
dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color
Sorry, I 've read throught the posts and haven't seen this asked? Have you removed all of the sideloaded books and downloaded a couple from Kobo and a couple of the books that had been sideloaded before, but downoad via email or Dropbox and run the tests again?
dixieknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:33 PM   #109
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by moffattm View Post
I left it sleeping over night, making a total of 36 hours sleeping, and it's still reading 99%.
My Glo is now up to 60 hours sleeping and it's dropped to 98%. I left it sleeping at the home screen.
moffattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:01 PM   #110
VelvetElvis
Addict
VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Fire HD8, Asus, Sony (T1, PRS-300), Kobo (Glo, Touch, Wireless)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixieknits View Post
Sorry, I 've read throught the posts and haven't seen this asked? Have you removed all of the sideloaded books and downloaded a couple from Kobo and a couple of the books that had been sideloaded before, but downoad via email or Dropbox and run the tests again?
I tried that for a couple of days, and it did indicate a much lower battery draw.

Having said that, and I've stated this before, the same books causing issues on the Glo, worked without issue on a Touch and Sony reader.
VelvetElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2013, 07:03 PM   #111
VelvetElvis
Addict
VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moffattm View Post
My Glo is now up to 60 hours sleeping and it's dropped to 98%. I left it sleeping at the home screen.
moffattm, what's the source of your installed books? If side-loaded, do you use Calibre to manage them?
Old 02-28-2013, 10:01 PM   #112
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvetElvis View Post
moffattm, what's the source of your installed books? If side-loaded, do you use Calibre to manage them?
Some of my books are bought from Kobo, some are just Kobo previews, and some I've side-loaded via Calibre.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:06 PM   #113
TechniSol
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Nice battery indeed Thanks for keeping track.

When you sleep your device, do you go to the home screen first? Or just sleep from within the book?
I'm just trying to give a baseline for what one should be able to expect from a unit that seems to be working pretty well. I thought it might be helpful for purposes of comparison rather just resorting to Kobo's battery claims. My guess is they, like most good engineers, might have been a little bit conservative. We'll see.

The battery seems great so far, perhaps a little too good really. But it seems to be dropping faster now that it's getting farther away from the 100% mark. So maybe it'll still end up being pretty impressive, but certainly not as good as it started out. My take on this is that the battery percentage displayed is a far cry from linear(at least on the high end), but this isn't life and death. It's only an e-reader and most of the modern world abounds with USB ports and micro-USB cellphone chargers. I carry a short USB to micro-USB cable in my pocket with my keys and have chargers at home, at my office, and in my car just in case my phone gets a workout during the business day.

I usually just flick the switch to sleep it right from the book I'm reading. I don't manually bookmark either. Honestly, the state of the device shouldn't matter, but I guess we are still digging for the root cause... My guess is SameerH and his crew ought to have a pretty good idea what's happening and why if they've so quickly ruled bad batteries out, especially if it only affects some Glos and not others. Maybe, as someone pointed out, it's a kernel issue or the like.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:34 PM   #114
madchen
madchen began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
deleted

Last edited by madchen; 02-28-2013 at 11:35 PM. Reason: oops - glo forum
madchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:06 AM   #115
TechniSol

I'm at 144 hours total since charging, with 11.5 hours of that reading with lighting on low, and now at 77% according to the battery meter.

Wow, that dropped a lot faster. Again, I believe the battery gauge linearity is suspect...
Old 03-01-2013, 02:59 AM   #116
moffattm
Addict

My Glo is now up to 72 hours sleeping and it's dropped to 96%
Old 03-01-2013, 03:34 PM   #117
moffattm
Addict

My Glo is now up to 84 hours sleeping and it's dropped to 92%
Old 03-01-2013, 07:06 PM   #118
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
How often are you waking it to check?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:55 PM   #119
moffattm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
How often are you waking it to check?
Every 12 hours (give or take half an hour).
Old 03-01-2013, 10:33 PM   #120
VelvetElvis
Addict

Quote:
I'm at 144 hours total since charging, with 11.5 hours of that reading with lighting on low, and now at 77% according to the battery meter.

Wow, that dropped a lot faster. Again, I believe the battery gauge linearity is suspect...
<sigh> I'd kill for battery life like that. Quite a contrast from 100% to dead in 72 hours.