Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-07-2008, 12:29 PM   #181
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
I was hoping to see it because, If they start to support epub and Adobe DE with the 505 I am not risking a purchase only to have the 510 come out a month later.

JJ
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 01:31 PM   #182
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I would really like to see Adobe DE support for the 505. My local library has a pretty good selection of Adobe DE books available that I would love to be able to read on my 505. I'm not holding my breath though. We've been hearing about Adobe DE and ePub support for quite awhile now--but nothing has materialized.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2008, 04:00 AM   #183
Pinkelman
Pinkelman began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
What are people looking for? hoping for?

I have a 505 and it works fine! no bugs or problems at all, If there is a new firmware I wont risk installing it.
I'm hoping for pdf's without a gray background. I'm hoping for Digital Editions support. And I'm hoping for a nicer interface.

But mostly I'm looking for a sign from Sony that it's dedicated to this product line. Fine-tuning firmware would be a sign that Sony is investing time and resources and trying making the best readers it can.
I'm sure that I will eventually buy a new ebook reader with a screen that's larger and can display color. If I a choose a Sony-model at that time, depends partly on the impression that firm makes on me now, by how it keeps its promise to improve my 505.
Pinkelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 09:05 PM   #184
smgee
smgee began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug41472 View Post
Please forgive my ignorance, but would this firmware update be available as a download? Thanks. Doug.
it seems the easiest way to deliver it!
smgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 09:26 AM   #185
Lord KiRon
Connoisseur
Lord KiRon began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
Well ... so far I am happy with my Sony reader besides few small problems - PDF sizes and no "delete" option on the reader.
If bigger size reader will arrive I sure want it but it have to have time of work similar to 505 and not laptop
Lord KiRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2008, 10:25 AM   #186
Oh, Why Not?
Groupie
Oh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Galaxy Note 2; KindleFireHDX
Silly us! We just missed the six-month anniversary of this "SOON" thread. I guess no party.
Oh, Why Not? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 10:31 AM   #187
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
When next generation Sony Reader comes out (if ever), I propose to start a new topic New firmware for the Sony Reader XXX: SOON! at the same day. Why not? We can even start a contest: Whose idea is going to be implemented in New firmware for the Sony Reader XXX: SOON!
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 10:36 AM   #188
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
When next generation Sony Reader comes out (if ever), I propose to start a new topic New firmware for the Sony Reader XXX: SOON! at the same day. Why not? We can even start a contest: Whose idea is going to be implemented in New firmware for the Sony Reader XXX: SOON!
Maybe we can onslaught them with emails now so We wont have to wait so long.

JJ
Old 07-24-2008, 12:10 AM   #189
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Maybe even less long than you might think.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:04 AM   #190
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!

Thanks Nate This just cured my indecisiveness As much as I like the Kindle, with this recent development with the Sony I think my mind is made up. Because all the features that make the Kindle a better choice in my mind are one that I cant use.

JJ
Old 07-24-2008, 01:20 AM   #191
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Ah, the agony of bragware. Yeah, the coolness of a feature is rather moot if it can't be used for anything worthwhile.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 02:19 AM   #192
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Ah, the agony of bragware. Yeah, the coolness of a feature is rather moot if it can't be used for anything worthwhile.
I totally agree you would not believe how tough a decision this has been for me. But I also see a couple of things going on here. With this announcement and also the UK release of the 505 I think now would be the perfect time to buy without fear of a new model just around the corner. Now who knows what the next year will bring but I think one would be safe for the next six months or so!

JJ
Disclaimer: The monkey is not responsible for any purchases or lack of purchases implied or suggested. If a new model is released in a shorter time frame than mentioned the manufacturer of said device is solely responsible.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:12 PM   #193
TedPark
Zealot
TedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Sony 505
OK - for all you earlier adopters: Questions Questions Questions

1. What exactly is covered by "General fixes to improve stability and performance"? I'm more interested to see if anything worthwhile is fixed, than I am about epub.

2. Will the firmware download work from my W2K machine? Or only XP or above?

3. Will the eLibrary software work on my W2K machine? Or will I have to hack around and "manually" install it? Or more frightening, maybe this "work around" won't work with the new software?
TedPark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:20 PM   #194
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniet View Post
This is typical corporate BS not upgrading the software on the 500. Its the plan to phase out the older models. There are very few companies that take the effort to update older models and Sony is not one of them.

According to what I read, both 500 & 505 have the same amount of memory.
Completely untrue. What have you been reading? (505-256 MB; 500-64 MB) That's the reason why upgrading the 500 is not feasible. It's not some "corporate conspiracy"!
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 12:17 PM   #195
TedPark
Zealot
TedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Sony 505
Well!!??
We are sitting here with "worms on our tongues".
Anybody tried this yet? Assessment??
TedPark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
505, firmware, sony reader