Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-15-2007, 12:09 AM   #1
jimmyzou
Connoisseur
jimmyzou began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader; Kobo; Nook color
Can Sony reader support Chinese?

Have toke long time to think about buying a iLiad or Sony reader...
iRex iLiad seems nicer screen, but easy to crashed, and repairing costs hundred euro, sounds terrible.

So the only thing stop me to buy a Sony Reader is: Can it support Chinese? in PDF, TXT, RTF whatever.
jimmyzou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 12:35 AM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
TXT & RTF, no, PDF, yes -- you can put whatever you want in a PDF and it'll render it, with the qualification that you need to make the PDF pages the right size for the Reader's display. I don't think you could embed the a Chinese font into an LRF file using something like BookDesigner. I know that you can embed fonts in BD, but if I recall correctly it doesn't extend to radically non-English chars.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2007, 01:08 AM   #3
jimmyzou
Connoisseur

Thanks!

“PDF, yes -- you can put whatever you want in a PDF and it'll render it, with the qualification that you need to make the PDF pages the right size for the Reader's display.”

So PDF with Chinese words can be readable? that's good enough. Say for example, I can convert chinese RTF by PDFfactory to PDF, then it can be read in sony reader?
Old 04-15-2007, 06:05 AM   #4
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyzou
Thanks!

“PDF, yes -- you can put whatever you want in a PDF and it'll render it, with the qualification that you need to make the PDF pages the right size for the Reader's display.”

So PDF with Chinese words can be readable? that's good enough. Say for example, I can convert chinese RTF by PDFfactory to PDF, then it can be read in sony reader?
Yes, PDF will work WITH embedded font, not without. We're working on supporting chinese on Feedbooks, it's already working for PD books and books written by the users, but not yet for our RSS feeds. It would work on a full newspaper where we ask for the language, but we're missing this information when we try to generate RSS feeds.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 08:41 AM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
As Hadrien said, as long as you embed the font, and as long as you make the PDF 'pages' the same size as the Reader's display -- you can find details on that here.
Advert
Old 04-15-2007, 12:09 PM   #6
jimmyzou
Connoisseur

the PDF 'pages' seems a key fact to read on SONY, I use a rule to measure the 6' size, comparing a reader digist, it's only half size of the tiny magzine, it surprises me a little bit...
Coz it's not like what I thought and saw from those photos took on Sony reader
Old 04-15-2007, 12:15 PM   #7
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

The exact size of the screen is 90mm x 120mm and yes, if you don't create PDF with the right settings, it'll look ugly.
Old 04-15-2007, 06:20 PM   #8
jimmyzou
Connoisseur

So... If use landscape mode reading, is it readable at normal A4 PDF?
Old 04-15-2007, 06:50 PM   #9
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder

Quote:
So... If use landscape mode reading, is it readable at normal A4 PDF?
Not really. Maybe if you use a very large font but the best solution is to create PDF with the right size.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:08 PM   #10
NatCh
Gizmologist

If you've got to deal with A4 sized PDFs, your best bet is to fall back on something like PDFRasterfarian.
Old 04-21-2007, 06:27 PM   #11
jimmyzou
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
TXT & RTF, no, PDF, yes -- you can put whatever you want in a PDF and it'll render it, with the qualification that you need to make the PDF pages the right size for the Reader's display. I don't think you could embed the a Chinese font into an LRF file using something like BookDesigner. I know that you can embed fonts in BD, but if I recall correctly it doesn't extend to radically non-English chars.
Can you guys test this file? I use pdfFactory to make it, and use 120x90mm size, embed chinese font in the file... Just want check if it works well, I plan buy it in next week anyway.
Attached Files
File Type: rar JianqiChangjiang-Sony.rar (1.73 MB, 787 views)
Old 04-21-2007, 10:18 PM   #12
casofamily
casofamily began at the beginning.

I have tried to convert some chinese books based on the format provided. But the reader only recognized the file in .txt format, not in the pdf format. The chinese book can not be read. Please help!
casofamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 11:10 PM   #13
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Can you guys test this file?
It works fine in the Connect Software (I don't have time to pop it on my Reader just this moment -- I don't have it handy ), and the ConnSoft is usually a good guide of what will work on the Reader itself -- the only funky thing is that the ConnSoft makes fonts look bigger than they are on the Reader.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scrncap.jpg
Views:	1878
Size:	211.4 KB
ID:	3258  
Old 04-21-2007, 11:20 PM   #14
jimmyzou
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
It works fine in the Connect Software (I don't have time to pop it on my Reader just this moment -- I don't have it handy ), and the ConnSoft is usually a good guide of what will work on the Reader itself -- the only funky thing is that the ConnSoft makes fonts look bigger than they are on the Reader.
It look nice Thanks NatCh
Is the font big in reader? I think smaller font than this can be readable?
Old 04-22-2007, 04:44 AM   #15
casofamily
casofamily began at the beginning.

NatCh,

Would you please let me know your config to convert your file to pdf?

I dl some chinese books in txt format and I used MS word to open the files and follow all of the instructions to convert the file into pdf format. Unfortunately, when I import the file to ConnSoft, I can only get a blank page. Please help!
casofamily is offline   Reply With Quote