Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 06:35 PM   #1
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Civilization and Its Discontents - Where is it?

I was thinking it would be nice to have an electronic copy of Civilization and Its Discontents by Freud, but after a reasonably thorough search, the only copy I found is this:

http://www.archive.org/details/Civil...ItsDiscontents

Which is unusable. The Kindle store doesn't have it either, nor any of the other stores I tried.

Just amazing that such seminal work would not be available at all in ebook form. I would have though an early translation would be in the public domain.

Anyone know if it's available somewhere?
Old 03-07-2009, 06:47 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I found it on Google Books.
http://books.google.com/books?id=DOG...um=4&ct=result
Old 03-07-2009, 06:55 PM   #3
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, Nate. Unfortunately, the Google version is only a teaser, with pages missing. The links on the side lead to paper editions, but I really wanted it on my ereaders - I already have a paper copy:-)
Old 03-07-2009, 08:11 PM   #4
Fledchen
Guru
Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.

Device: PB360+, Sony950, VR Stream, iPod Touch, iPad
What format do you want it in? I can OCR the PDF and convert it to whatever format you want.
Old 03-07-2009, 08:44 PM   #5
Sonist
Apeist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fledchen View Post
What format do you want it in? I can OCR the PDF and convert it to whatever format you want.
Thanks! I use mobi/prc, but would be happy with plain text (I can run it through something like feedbooks)
Old 03-07-2009, 10:09 PM   #6
Fledchen
Guru
Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.

I'm sorry, the translation has a copyright date of 1961. I don't know how archive.org got permission to post it, but it's probably not OK to upload here.
Old 03-07-2009, 10:15 PM   #7
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
I'm sorry, the translation has a copyright date of 1961. I don't know how archive.org got permission to post it, but it's probably not OK to upload here.
I think it's okay. There is no record of the copyright renewal.
Old 03-07-2009, 10:21 PM   #8
Fledchen
Guru

Oh! I'd forgotten about that period where copyright had to be renewed. ABBYY Finereader is choking on a few of the pages, so it may take me a while to clean it up.

I'll upload the final results in MOBI, LRF, EPUB and IMP in the Ebooks section and post a list of links in this thread. If I'm lucky I ought to have it done by Sunday afternoon. It should be a good project to work on while I'm doing laundry.
Old 03-08-2009, 01:57 PM   #9
Sonist
Apeist

Quote:
Oh! I'd forgotten about that period where copyright had to be renewed. ABBYY Finereader is choking on a few of the pages, so it may take me a while to clean it up.

I'll upload the final results in MOBI, LRF, EPUB and IMP in the Ebooks section and post a list of links in this thread. If I'm lucky I ought to have it done by Sunday afternoon. It should be a good project to work on while I'm doing laundry.
Thanks, Fledchen.

May your laundry come out super bright and fresh-smelling today
Old 03-08-2009, 02:05 PM   #10
Fledchen
Guru

The scan is lower resolution than is ideal for OCR, but it's usable. I'm about 25% of the way through proofreading and correcting the results of the OCR.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:20 PM   #11
Fledchen
Guru

I'm afraid it's taking me a lot longer than I'd expected. Perhaps next Sunday might be a more reasonable ETA.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:09 PM   #12
Sonist
Apeist

Fledchen, take your time.

I am grateful for your effort, as I am sure will be a lot of other readers.

Come to think of, it's kind of cool to be the first to "ebook" what is perhaps the best known work of Freud.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:04 AM   #13
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
Fledchen, take your time.

I am grateful for your effort, as I am sure will be a lot of other readers.

Come to think of, it's kind of cool to be the first to "ebook" what is perhaps the best known work of Freud.
No it's not. "Also sprach Zarathustra" is by far his most popular publication (Thus spoke Zarathustra) But Fledchens effort is really great.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:39 AM   #14
Sonist
Apeist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
No it's not. "Also sprach Zarathustra" is by far his most popular publication...
I am confused....

Didn't know that Freud also wrote under the pseudonym of "Nietzsche."
Old 03-09-2009, 02:52 AM   #15
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Quote:
I'm afraid it's taking me a lot longer than I'd expected. Perhaps next Sunday might be a more reasonable ETA.
Yeah, it's much work to OCR, proofread and correct such books.
Your efford is very appreciated!
Closed Thread