Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-05-2012, 02:47 PM   #1
Ezequiel80
Ezequiel80 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Unhappy Firmware 3.3 broke my kindle

I have a Kindle keyboard edition. After updating its firmware to version 3.3 my kindle broke. Images render incorrectly now (after changing from one page to a page with an image, the image retains words from the previous page).

This happens on screensaver too, but not on the restarting screen. Text can be read perfectly too, so I discarded a screen issue.

I contacted Amazon and they offered to replace my kindle for free. No shipping charges or importing fees. However, they still want to charge me a "service fee" of $65 because the kindle warranty is over. (heh, they introduce a problem via a firmware update and I have to pay them to fix it)

I guess I'll keep using the Kindle as it is and at some point buy another device.

Just writing this to warn you about this issue and ask you if you had any advice.
Ezequiel80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 03:56 PM   #2
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Just to make sure, have you fully rebooted several times?

If not sure, fully charge the battery. Then, hold the on-off switch in the on switch for between 15 and 20 seconds (use a clock with a second hand) before releasing. Then wait for several minutes.

If it is a case where you won't use the device unless fixed, you could risk carefully prying open the case with a small screwdriver. Sometimes, with handheld computers, a battery pull (will require taking out two Phillips-head screws) gives a more thorough reboot. I have no evidence this is true for the K3 but recall one post suggesting it.

It doesn't look like any of the keys are permanently depressed, does it?
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 06:03 PM   #3
Ezequiel80

I did several resets. And even one "revert to factory default".

It is a baffling problem, I experienced a broken screen before and this is not at all like it since the kindle can be used without any problem for text.

I'll try with a full recharge and then restart again.

Thank you for your response.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:08 PM   #4
Ezequiel80

No Luck, I fully charged the kindle and restarted but still having the same issue.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:54 PM   #5
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Do you have a jailbreak or some other hack on it?
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:08 PM   #6
Ezequiel80

Nope, no mods or jailbreak. The only thing I think changed was the 3.3 update. I'll try to upload a video soon to let you see this issue. It seems to be related to the refreshing process, images don't refresh correctly.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:48 PM   #7
Ezequiel80

Ok, after some delay, I'm uploading images with descriptions

This is an overview of how a typical page looks like. As a reference, the original image is on this site.

The image shows parts of a previous article I was reading. Moving to next page and going back to this page makes the text change on the photo

A detailed look on the image:

On the other hand, text looks just fine to me (that's what makes me think this is not just a screen issue)

The text "From the very dedi" is just garbage on the image. The actual text of this page starts at the underlined "Noam"

This is not a problem with the article, it happens on every image I checked and also with the screensavers:

On the other hand, while doing a hard reset you can see an image correctly rendered:

After the reset has finished, going back to the screensaver shows a broken image again

I'm using my kindle to read without any problems but it would be nice to be able to fix this issue.

As a reminder, this problem started after updating firmware. I never applied any jailbreak or hack to the unit, but I'm wiling to do it if that fixes this problem.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:03 PM   #8
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezequiel80 View Post
(heh, they introduce a problem via a firmware update and I have to pay them to fix it)

[...]

Just writing this to warn you about this issue and ask you if you had any advice.
Do realize that 3.3 has been out for well over six months, and the VAST majority of KKs have already been updated...with no reports of this issue that I've noticed around these forums.
That strongly suggests it's unlikely to be a general problem with the update, and far more likely an isolated issue with your unit, which you seem to be saying is out of warranty, so it's hard for me to see a problem with Amazon's stance here.

I wonder if anyone knows if there is a way to make it apply the update again. Maybe it ws just some kind of (disasterous) glitch during the update.

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 04:58 PM   #9
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
I would contact Kindel suppot and see what they say
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 05:10 PM   #10
Ezequiel80

When I first posted about this issue the firmware was kind of new. I agree that it seems it is not a common issue with the firmware, maybe it was a glitch during the update. Or maybe the issue is not related at all to the update and it was just a coincidence that it appeared after the update.

Tech support didn't know much really, they offered me to replace the unit but since it was out of warranty I had to pay a fee.

I decided to keep the unit, but still I'm trying to find a fix for it.

As far as I know, there is no official way of reapplying the firmware update. But maybe there is an unofficial method of doing that. That's why I seek help here.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:13 PM   #11
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I think you should contact Amazon again, and link to your pics. They really ought to replace the unit, even if it is out of warranty.

Are you in the US?
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:30 PM   #12
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Press the Start Key for 30 seconds. Then repeat 3 times. That's always worked to fix my 3rd Generation Kindle Keyboard.

Last edited by sirmaru; 05-21-2012 at 03:42 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 04:35 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Press the Start Key for 15 minutes. Then repeat 3 times. That's always worked to fix my 3rd Generation Kindle Keyboard.
15 minutes? What does that achieve? The Kindle will reboot if you hold in the power switch for about 20-30 seconds.

To the original poster - have you tried doing a "Reset to Factory Defaults"?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 02:13 PM   #14
Ezequiel80

Yes, I tried doing a factory reset (all my ebooks deleted) and a hard reset by holding the power switch for a long time (you can see the screenshot of one of those resets). I also tried discharging the battery and fully recharging again.

I'm not in US. Amazon offered me to change it, but for a fee of $60... I rather buying a new one.

At the moment I'm open to experimentation, like replacing the firmware or jailbreaking the unit.
Old 05-20-2012, 04:04 PM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
This sounds like a hardware problem with the display controller to me.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote