Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 08-11-2011, 02:26 PM   #1
mysticjunkee
mysticjunkee began at the beginning.

Device: none
Exclamation Help with Calibre server! Please :D

Hi there. I am trying to access my Calibre server via webpage out of my home and it isn't working. The server is on and when tested, the test works on the computer the server is on. But when I try to open the page from my iphone or another computer elsewhere, I get this message:

"Mozilla cannot open the page because it could not connect to the server."

Any idea what I'm doing wrong? If a help thread has already been posted please direct me to it. Thank you!

mysticjunkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 02:45 PM   #2
jlutes
Connoisseur
jlutes began at the beginning.

Did you configure a port on the server? Are you trying to connect via the IP address or by a name? Can you ping the name/ip address?
jlutes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 02:50 PM   #3
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlutes View Post
Did you configure a port on the server? Are you trying to connect via the IP address or by a name? Can you ping the name/ip address?
I'll add: Did you specify the port when you tried to connect from another computer?
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 02:50 PM   #4
mysticjunkee

Via IP. I can't figure out what the server access address is. I've never tried anything like this before so it's a bit confusing.

I've tried a few address's and can't figure it out. When it runs the test, this is the address the browser goes to:

http://127.0.0.1:8080/

But trying that offsite doesn't work. I tried using my (correct?) ip address in place of the bold and that didn't work. Then I used my host name but I'm not sure which part or all of it is needed. This is not as easy as clicking a few things and up and running...

Of course I'm good at over complicating things too. :/
Old 08-11-2011, 02:53 PM   #5
mysticjunkee

And I freely admit I'm a novice at this stuff. I have a basic handle on pc stuff but I don't quite get all the intricacies of how this works.
Old 08-11-2011, 02:53 PM   #6
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticjunkee View Post
Via IP. I can't figure out what the server access address is. I've never tried anything like this before so it's a bit confusing.

I've tried a few address's and can't figure it out. When it runs the test, this is the address the browser goes to:

http://127.0.0.1:8080/

But trying that offsite doesn't work. I tried using my (correct?) ip address in place of the bold and that didn't work. Then I used my host name but I'm not sure which part or all of it is needed. This is not as easy as clicking a few things and up and running...

Of course I'm good at over complicating things too. :/
That's the loopback address. You need the actual address.
Open a command window (dos box/ terminal window/ command prompt window) on the server (run "cmd" will do it) and type "ipconfig" to see your address then replace 127.0.0.1 with your real address.
Old 08-11-2011, 02:55 PM   #7
mysticjunkee

Just thought of something - I connect to the internet via password protected wifi network in my home. How does or does this at all affect the Calibre server?
Old 08-11-2011, 02:56 PM   #8
jlutes
Connoisseur

As long as your iphone and the computer(s) in question all have access you should be fine
Old 08-11-2011, 03:03 PM   #9
mysticjunkee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
That's the loopback address. You need the actual address.
Open a command window (dos box/ terminal window/ command prompt window) on the server (run "cmd" will do it) and type "ipconfig" to see your address then replace 127.0.0.1 with your real address.
Thank you! That worked. I was getting the wrong IP everytime. I check it other ways and it gave me different ones but not the correct one.

I knew it was a simple fix but I had no idea what, so thanks!

Old 08-11-2011, 03:05 PM   #10
mysticjunkee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlutes View Post
As long as your iphone and the computer(s) in question all have access you should be fine
One last question:

Will it affect how computers off network connect? Logically I don't think so but my logic seems to be off today.
Old 08-11-2011, 03:09 PM   #11
jlutes
Connoisseur

I would assume you have a firewall of some sort between your local network and the internet. You will have to open a path between the computer hosting Calibre and the internet. There may be some other Calibre-specific solutions I'm not aware of, but that's the basics for networking.
Old 08-11-2011, 03:46 PM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Hi there. I am trying to access my Calibre server via webpage out of my home and it isn't working. The server is on and when tested, the test works on the computer the server is on. But when I try to open the page from my iphone or another computer elsewhere, I get this message:

"Mozilla cannot open the page because it could not connect to the server."

Any idea what I'm doing wrong? If a help thread has already been posted please direct me to it. Thank you!

Elsewhere?
Is this outside your LAN (Like at: school,work, Starbucks)?
You need to port forward and then use your Public (must be static) IP or use a service like DynDNS.org to get to your router.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:13 AM   #13
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
Thank you! That worked. I was getting the wrong IP everytime. I check it other ways and it gave me different ones but not the correct one.
I knew it was a simple fix but I had no idea what, so thanks!
Using that address, you can now connect from any computer device on your internal network to your Calibre server, as long as the internal address of your Calibre server doesn't change. If it changes, you need to follow those steps again. To avoid having your server address change, you can tell your router to always assign that address to the MAC of your Calibre server, or you can give your server a fixed IP. Searches on the web will tell you how to do that.

To get access from outside your local network, you will need to configure your server to pass incoming packets on the 8080 port to your server.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:09 AM   #14
mysticjunkee

still not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Elsewhere?
Is this outside your LAN (Like at: school,work, Starbucks)?
You need to port forward and then use your Public (must be static) IP or use a service like DynDNS.org to get to your router.
Okay I did the port forward thing with my router but I'm still getting an error.

I'm using the laptop's ip address not the main ip which is what I think I'm supposed to do?

Sigh. Why am I not getting this....

yes it is outside my LAN that I want to be able to log in

Last edited by mysticjunkee; 08-13-2011 at 12:10 AM. Reason: not enough info
Old 08-13-2011, 02:15 AM   #15
jlutes
Connoisseur

If you have a typical cable/dsl interface to the internet...
You will have one external-facing IP address which will be dynamic. This means that your internet service provider can change it at will...and some of them do regularly just to stop people from doing things like hosting servers on their machines. Your best bet is to use dyndns. They offer a free version at:
http://dyn.com/dns/dyndns-free/
It's been years since I set one up but it should be basically the same procedure.
1. create an account
2. choose a domain. they have lots of domain names to choose from and then you put your unique identifier at the beginning. For instance, mysticjunkee.homeftp.net may be available.
3. Configure the specialized dyndns updater in your modem or router configuration. If you don't have one (most don't) then you need to download and run a small dyndns updater software. It detects what your outward-facing IP address is and sends that information to the dyndns servers.
4. Once it's all done (and propogated - allow as long as 5 days, normally faster) then you should be able to use the address you set up plus :8080 to connect.

*whew* - now, for a shorter answer, at least to test things out, try going to whatismyip.com from the machine with Calibre running. It will tell you what your outward-facing IP address is. On your laptop, you would need to type in that address followed by ":8080" (no quotes).

Tags
calibre error, server, server error