Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 08:36 AM   #121
Format C:
Guru
Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad + PRS-505 + Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
I have another one for you: I took that file showing the details of that great invention of yours and made a copy. No problem, you still have your copy -- no theft, right?
No theft, right.
It can be a lot of other things, from privacy violation, to plagiarism, to patent infringement to a lot of other things, but not theft (unless you stole a CD-ROM of mine: that's theft!).

A killer steals life, but he commits murder, not theft.
A raper steals pleasure and virginity, but he commits rape and assault, not theft.
A pedophile steals innocence, but he does not commit theft.
A goon steals beauty, but he's no thief.
A kindapper steals people, will he be tried for theft?

No way.
To call those acts "theft" is just plain wrong.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:36 AM   #122
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iphinome View Post
The first is illegal of course but maybe you should take the time to consider why. Notice or not someone would be deprived of the use of their car, there would be increased wear and tear and hey did you bother to refill the gas tank? Now on the other hand if you built an exact copy of the car and drove off who is harmed? But since you like to mislabel things I propose we say you raped the car you entered and used it without consent so you'd be a rapist.

The second I'm not aware of being unlawful it just makes you... I could use some rude words but why bother, you'd be just like most other people working in offices these days.
Better to call it like it is. The law is an imperfect implementation of what is right and wrong. As things change it becomes less perfect.

P.S. I guess if you can have sex with a car you might call it rape.
Advert
Old 03-11-2010, 08:45 AM   #123
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Format C: View Post
I never said I wrote "Under the Dome".

But, if I did, would you rather call it "theft" or "plagiarism"?

And again, I'm sorry for my bad English. I swear I didn't know that "it's a felony different from theft" actually means "no harm is done". Now I know it, thank you.

Even for your car trip there are other names for what you did. In my country it sounds like "unauthorized temporary possession", which is not theft, and is given, when proved, different penalties...
Now you are introducing a very different word into the discussion "a felony different from theft". Yes, I could agree with that. I said theft comes close, I didn't say it covers it exactly. It is a different type of theft, a theft were someone did not steal a physical object, but the exclusive (I am disregarding fair use exceptions for the moment) right to create copies of a file. But since you agree that it should be a felony, why putting all this effort into finding a special word for it?
Old 03-11-2010, 09:01 AM   #124
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
It seems to me that it is a mistake to label something as a felony (which means a serious crime) if it would make the majority into criminals. Laws should be there to serve society, not to criminalise everyone.

In my view, some unauthorised copying is wrong (and some isn't) - but none of it seems like theft to me at all. On balance, I think that the law is biased too much in the favour of large corporations - as in so many areas. I would suggest that the law needs relaxing (in most countries), not tightening up to pick on individuals who copy a few files. How do their crimes compare with, say, the financial crimes perpetrated by corporations over the last decade which have resulted in the current recession, and for which they are, by and large, escaping not only unpunished, but in many cases massively rewarded?
Old 03-11-2010, 09:04 AM   #125
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
We should start a new thread and ask mods to make it sticky: Is Piracy theft?
So everybody can say why (s)he thinks Piracy is (isn't) theft, thus preventing this topic to pop up in every thread.
Advert
Old 03-11-2010, 09:11 AM   #126
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Thornton View Post
It seems to me that it is a mistake to label something as a felony (which means a serious crime) if it would make the majority into criminals. Laws should be there to serve society, not to criminalise everyone.

In my view, some unauthorised copying is wrong (and some isn't) - but none of it seems like theft to me at all. On balance, I think that the law is biased too much in the favour of large corporations - as in so many areas. I would suggest that the law needs relaxing (in most countries), not tightening up to pick on individuals who copy a few files. How do their crimes compare with, say, the financial crimes perpetrated by corporations over the last decade which have resulted in the current recession, and for which they are, by and large, escaping not only unpunished, but in many cases massively rewarded?
That is a matter for a completely different discussion. But I don't think somebody else's wrongdoing should be an excuse to justify one's own.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:47 AM   #127
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
That is a matter for a completely different discussion. But I don't think somebody else's wrongdoing should be an excuse to justify one's own.
The Lemming Factor.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:02 AM   #128
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
We should start a new thread and ask mods to make it sticky: Is Piracy theft?
So everybody can say why (s)he thinks Piracy is (isn't) theft, thus preventing this topic to pop up in every thread.
So long as we don't prejudge the issue by calling it "piracy"!
Old 03-11-2010, 10:31 AM   #129
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Not sure if the same was true of the older consoles.
Oh yes. PS1's, PS2's and Gamecubes have all been used (Maybe others, but I don't remember reading about them).
Old 03-11-2010, 10:41 AM   #130
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Quote:
Hey, I took your car for a spin and returned it before you noticed!
TWOC (a criminal offence, for a tangible object, not Theft.

Quote:
And I took that idea you had at work and said it was mine.
Misappropriation of a trade secret (a civil offence, for an intangible), not Theft.

Quote:
I have another one for you: I took that file showing the details of that great invention of yours and made a copy. No problem, you still have your copy -- no theft, right?
Patent Fraud (a civil offence, for an intangible), not Theft.

See, there's several patterns here....now, seems books are intangible...
Old 03-11-2010, 11:03 AM   #131
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
So long as we don't prejudge the issue by calling it "piracy"!
Ok, let's call it "Is sharing copyrighted material theft?".
Old 03-11-2010, 11:36 AM   #132
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm not trying to justify anything. As I said, I think that some copyright infringement is wrong - the clearest case for me being: copying a book by a living author that's available digitally, rather than buying it, when you don't have a copy in another format.

What I was reacting against was the label "felony" being banded about in a discussion about copyright infringement, which seems to me to be disproportionate - hence my comparison with some other things that are worth getting upset about.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:37 AM   #133
Ben Thornton
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
Ok, let's call it "Is sharing copyrighted material theft?".
Let's lynch the librarians!
Old 03-11-2010, 11:39 AM   #134
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Thornton View Post
Saying that something shouldn't be regarded as a crime, merely because lots of people do it, seems like a rather poor excuse. I suspect, for example, that the overwhelming majority of people who hold a UK driving licence get a speeding ticket at some point during their driving career; should we de-criminalise speeding simply because a lot of people do it?
Old 03-11-2010, 12:38 PM   #135
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
Do we really think that unauthorized downloading and distribution of digital material is anything like commandeering a ship by the use of force? If we don't why do we insist on using the same word for the activity? It makes me wonder what rhetorical purpose it serves, and whose interest that rhetorical purpose promotes. It is of course a metaphor, but we all seem to be buying into this metaphor, and the metaphors we choose matter.
I'll let you take a guess as to whose interests such terminology serves. It shouldn't be hard to figure out though. The exact same people that want you to think "copyright infringement" is "theft".

Such intentional mis-use of terminology is on purpose. Associating copyright infringement with "piracy" and "theft" serves their goals. It's unfortunate that many people fall for the rhetoric.
Closed Thread