Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-24-2007, 12:55 PM   #1
rflashman
Zealot
rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle, Archos 605 Wifi, & Sony PRS-500
Kindle Crashes

It is worth noting that I have so far had two minor crashes in my Kindle. Once while reading the NYT (yesterday). The left column of the silver cursor stayed in place (two blocks) and the right side grew to take up the entire column. Nothing worked or responded.

Pressing the HOME button brought me home right away, everything back to normal, but when I re-entered the NYT it had lost my position.

Again this morning when reading the Washington Post. This time I knew what I was seeing, so I pressed HOME again to reset it.

I hope the crashing isn't too frequent, but at least they were smart to put a 'reset' feature into the HOME button.
rflashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 09:46 PM   #2
zartemis
Addict
zartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it is

Device: Kindle3, Kindle2, Nook, NookColor
My Kindle froze once today. Pressing the home button didn't fix it in my case (I remembered your post so I tried it), but turning it off and on did.
zartemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2007, 10:19 AM   #3
CCDMan
CCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toys

Device: *****
I have also had two issues. The page button did not work in either direction, even after a wait and numerous presses. Then when I cycled the power and it came back, I was on a page that was hundreds away from where it was. Pretty annoying. I hope they find this stuff and update firmware before too long.
CCDMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 05:32 PM   #4
larcred
larcred began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
Angry Kindle crash

I received my Kindle as a gift at Thanksgiving. I was reading in the lunch room at work and had just turned it off when someone came in & asked what I had. I tried to turn it back on to show and it wouldn't go on. I thought maybe I had just hit the right time that I needed to charge the battery. I did that at home and it still wouldn't go on. I read the book today so took the protective back off and found the reset button. Pressed it several times without any response. Once again I thought maybe the battery needed charging even though it hadn't been in use. Plugged it in and tried the reset button again and this time it came on. I thought all was well & let it finish charging. Now I've taken it off the charger and it will not turn on. I've tried reset again & again. I plugged it back into the charge & tried reset and I still have nothing. Anyone have any suggestions other than returning it. I haven't even finished one book!
thanks
larcred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 05:41 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by larcred View Post
I received my Kindle as a gift at Thanksgiving. I was reading in the lunch room at work and had just turned it off when someone came in & asked what I had. I tried to turn it back on to show and it wouldn't go on. I thought maybe I had just hit the right time that I needed to charge the battery. I did that at home and it still wouldn't go on. I read the book today so took the protective back off and found the reset button. Pressed it several times without any response. Once again I thought maybe the battery needed charging even though it hadn't been in use. Plugged it in and tried the reset button again and this time it came on. I thought all was well & let it finish charging. Now I've taken it off the charger and it will not turn on. I've tried reset again & again. I plugged it back into the charge & tried reset and I still have nothing. Anyone have any suggestions other than returning it. I haven't even finished one book!
thanks
Your FIRST thought should be to call Kindle support.

They can walk you thru any problems you may have......customer service is great.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2008, 05:43 PM   #6
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Use the "contact us" button at the right of this page to get help..........

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200127470
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 08:18 PM   #7
ebooksrock
ebooksrock began at the beginning.

Device: none
the sony prs 505 also does this too, i think. actually many times. does the kindle 'format' newly opened ebooks at first and you have to sit there waiting for it to get done, or does it load up right away?
ebooksrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 09:45 PM   #8
MonaLS
Groupie
MonaLS began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (Gen 1), Kindle DX, Kindle Fire, LG Enact
It loads right away, but indexes more slowly (searches won't find anything inside the book until it is indexed).
MonaLS is offline   Reply With Quote