Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 04-02-2012, 09:33 AM   #1
ebookn00b
ebookn00b began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire, iPad 2
Generating a Table of Contents

I am creating ebooks from scratch. I have figured out how to set the cover image, create a NCX and have even added a Linked HTML TOC at the beginning of my book. The problem I am running in to is that when I am viewing my book in the Kindle Previewer and I select the Table of Contents button I get the error "Missing Table of Contents, Your book is currently missing a TOC, which allows easy navigation in Kindle books......" Same goes for the Kindle Fire, when I select the TOC button there is no TOC. Does anyone have any insight on how to do this? Maybe a guide. I am not sure if I am suppose to add a TOC to the .opf or where exactly. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by ebookn00b; 04-02-2012 at 09:59 AM.
ebookn00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:39 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
It sounds like you're doing everything except indentifying your Linked HTML TOC in the guide section of the opf file.
Code:
<guide>
    <reference href="Text/your_html_file.html#anchor_name" title="Table of Contents" type="toc" />
</guide>
If the Linked HTML TOC is self-contained in its own HTML file, you won't need the url fragment (#anchor_name). Something like:
Code:
<reference href="Text/your_html_TOC.html" title="Table of Contents" type="toc" />
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:06 PM   #3
Oldpilot
Groupie
Oldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with others

Device: Kindle
<div id="toc" />
Oldpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:11 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldpilot View Post
<div id="toc" />
I'm not familiar with that. What exactly does it achieve? Do certain mobi-creation programs automatically look for that without needing to have a reference item in the guide section of the OPF?
Old 04-04-2012, 09:27 AM   #5
AThirstyMind
A Thirsty Mind
AThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with others

Device: Kindle Fire, iPad, iPhone
As far as I know, if you have a built-in TOC in your html file, you have to link it within MobiPocket in the Guide feature. Be sure and bookmark your Table of Contents header name=TOC. Then the line in the Guide will read 'MyBook.html#TOC' This is a pretty elemental way of doing it, so I apologize to all the expert html guys out there, but its worked for me for more than 100 books.
AThirstyMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:35 AM   #6
renez64
renez64 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I converted a gnu software manual to mobi format. I generate a toc.html and and a toc.ncx. There isn't much difference between them as to contents. The format and the layout is quite different!
If I use the kindle previewer and press the ncx button I get to see a tree structure with collapsible items.

However on the kindle 3 it is just the html TOC. How do I get to the ncx data on the kindle 3
renez64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:59 AM   #7
renez64

I got it using the 5-way button left and right moves you through the ncx points!

How ever i have for a "node" for the GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE and it has 4 "points"
1) Preamble, 2)TERMS AND CONDITION, 3)END OF TERMS AND CONDITIOND, 4) How to apply .....

using the right cusor key I get to the "node" GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE. the next right cursor key get me to 1. The Concepts of Bison.

I would have expected that it gets me to Preamble.

I do have depth set to 3 in the ncx file. Does the kindle 3 only use level 1?

Rene
Old 04-09-2012, 12:14 PM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I do have depth set to 3 in the ncx file. Does the kindle 3 only use level 1?
Not just the Kindle 3, but in fact ALL Kindles (strictly speaking of the mobi format, I believe KF8 is different). The previewer will recognize a multilevel ncx, but only the highest level will be available for navigating with the five-way.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:28 AM   #9
renez64

Well, it is used. once you are in the chapter e.g. your on 3.1 then right arrow will take you to 3.2, 3.3 etc and left arrow will take you back
Old 04-13-2012, 09:09 AM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by renez64 View Post
Well, it is used. once you are in the chapter e.g. your on 3.1 then right arrow will take you to 3.2, 3.3 etc and left arrow will take you back
Right. I remember hearing about that functionality. But I believe only the highest level will appear as "markers" on the progress bar (for those device that still utilize it).
Old 04-13-2012, 01:49 PM   #11
renez64

Ncx toc solved. Now html toc

I just checked it. The markers are level one. Once you are at level two left and right stays on level two. You get out of level two by a next/previous page. Well handy to know. I adjust my script to generate 2 levels in the ncx file.

Now I wonder how my toc.html gets nicely indented
I expected something like
1 Makefiles
1.1 Rules
1.2 Recursive
but I get

1 Makefiles
1.1 Rules
1.2 Recursive

Do i need special markup I did
Code:
<div> <a href="#l1">Makefiles</a>
      <div> <a href="#l1-1">Rules</a></div>
      <div> <a href="#l1-2">Recursive</a></div>
</div>
Or is the toc always flat?
Old 04-25-2012, 09:54 AM   #12
ebookn00b

My TOC is at the start of my epubs HTML file. Here is the code for it.

<div class="toc">
<p class="No-Paragraph-Style"><span class="story">Table of Contents</span></p>
<p class="What-is-Leadership-"><a href="#toc_marker-1">What is Leadership?</a></p>
<p class="The-Be--Know--Do-Leadership-Philosophy"><a href="#toc_marker-2">The Be, Know, Do Leadership Philosophy</a></p>
<p class="Levels-of-Army-Leadership"><a href="#toc_marker-3">Levels of Army Leadership</a></p>
<p class="Leadership-Versus-Management"><a href="#toc_marker-4">Leadership Versus Management</a></p>
<p class="The-Cadet-Command-Leadership-Development-Program"><a href="#toc_marker-5">The Cadet Command Leadership Development Program</a></p>
</div>

I tried to enter the following code into the OPF to get the TOC button in the KindleFire menu to actually show the TOC but I had no luck. Any suggestions?

<guide>
<reference href="Text/Leadership_SEC_1.html" title="Table of Contents" type="toc" />
</guide>
Old 04-25-2012, 10:17 AM   #13
ebookn00b

Nevermind. I got it the Kindle UI Table of Contents button to jump to the TOC by adding the following code to my OPF.

<guide>
<reference type="toc" title="Table of Contents" href="Leadership_SEC_1.html"/>
</guide>
Old 04-25-2012, 11:13 AM   #14
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebookn00b View Post
Nevermind. I got it the Kindle UI Table of Contents button to jump to the TOC by adding the following code to my OPF.

<guide>
<reference type="toc" title="Table of Contents" href="Leadership_SEC_1.html"/>
</guide>
good catch. It is also a good idea to assign an id="toc" to the top entry in your example.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:22 AM   #15
renez64

I didn't had a problem generating a toc. I had difficulty in indenting the toc at level 2.
But there is someone on the internet who explains that with a littlebit
The solution was to add a style file and 2 definitions toc1 toc2 and it worked!