Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-16-2011, 02:21 AM   #1
fbdev
fbdev
fbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel is

Device: kindle
updated: sspopartsq (animated screen saver), kinamp, kaffeine (keeps kindle awake)

this version of kaffeine has been deprecated.
the latest version is: kaffeine p0

new usage of kaffeine:
to prevent standby:
kaffeine
to prevent standby and screensaver:
kaffeine s
when kaffeine is active, a 10x10 pixel square (black with white border) will display in the top left of the screen.

changelog:
sspopartsq (v2)
-updated to use dbus instead of lipc
-changed animation interval to 1/3 sec
links to old versions: (v0,v1)

kinamp (v1)
-removed suspend prevention (this functionality is in kaffeine)
links to old versions: (v0)

kinamp still requires that the mplayer binary be in the "system" folder of your kindle (in mass storage mode).
if you do not have this binary, you can get it from here.

kaffeine (v1)
-updated to use dbus instead of lipc
-removed unnecessary command line options
links to old versions: (v0)
Attached Files
File Type: gz kaps.tar.gz (15.1 KB, 521 views)

Last edited by fbdev; 09-30-2011 at 10:42 PM.
fbdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 07:26 AM   #2
giorgio130
Time Waster
giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo and Aura HD
You are really productive may I suggest you don't creaate a new thread for each update? This way information spreads too much, I think. You could also post a video of the animated screensaver on youtube and post it here, so people know if they like it before installing
giorgio130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 10:39 AM   #3
fbdev
fbdev
fbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel is

i don't like the way new posts appear at the bottom of a thread; i want them at the top so that new versions bubble up and old versions remain in their context.

this is a shortcoming of publishing applications on a bbs, i think; but i'm not going to set up a web site for my kindle dev work. that would be...

anyway, if there are questions, i poll the board with reasonable frequency and can answer them as they arise.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:45 AM   #4
fbdev
fbdev

re: video

it's easy enough to install. there's no script to execute; you just extract it to a folder on your kindle and setup a shortcut in launchpad. if you don't like it, delete the shortcut and file. you don't even have to modify the root file system.

if you do like it, post.

i think people will be more likely to download if they see that others have tried it and like it.

if you really want a video; well, i don't have a camera. except for some built in web cam on my dev box that i never wanted, keep turned off, and wouldn't have the slightest idea how to setup in linux. :: i'd rather be writing software.
Old 08-16-2011, 12:02 PM   #5
giorgio130
Time Waster
giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Fair enough I'll give it a try and if I like it I'll post a video!

edit: what about source? Why do you release only binaries?

Last edited by giorgio130; 08-16-2011 at 12:08 PM.
Old 08-16-2011, 12:36 PM   #6
giorgio130
Time Waster

Here's your video!

Old 08-16-2011, 01:46 PM   #7
mark03
Enthusiast
mark03 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi
Hey fbdev,

This is great stuff, thanks!

Are you also making the source available, for those of us hoping to learn from your experience?
mark03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 07:38 PM   #8
Enthir
Enthir began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Awesome work. I am going to try out your active screensaver, and will report back when done =). Thank you!
Enthir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:29 PM   #9
Jeton
Enthusiast
Jeton began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
The screensaver looks really nice!
I'm definitely installing it soon.

Just curious: Does kinamp have a GUI or is only used via lanuchpad commands?
I haven't had time to try it out that's why I'm asking.
Jeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 03:24 AM   #10
fbdev
fbdev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeton View Post
The screensaver looks really nice!
I'm definitely installing it soon.

Just curious: Does kinamp have a GUI or is only used via lanuchpad commands?
I haven't had time to try it out that's why I'm asking.
yes; it has a gui.

there is a progress bar at the bottom of the screen 3 pixels high.
it is only as accurate as mplayer's status, which i'm sorry to say is pretty poor for variable bit rate files.
it will also display the file name for 5 seconds in the bottom left corner of the screen.
the fade out is a little screwy and needs refinement, so you will find that if you switch pages while the name of the song is up, the page will switch back to the old page. just hit the page up/down button again and it will display correctly.
the keys are:
alt-del (previous file)
alt-L (pause/play)
alt-K (fast forward)
alt-J (next file)

here's the source; it's preprocessed C, so for the uninitiated it may be a little...
Attached Files
File Type: gz kaps-source.tar.gz (151.6 KB, 302 views)
Old 08-17-2011, 03:29 AM   #11
fbdev
fbdev

kinamp needs to be launched with command line arguments.
it accepts any arguments you would pass to mplayer.

this is a good idea:
kinamp -loop 0 -playlist /mnt/us/music/myplaylist

or maybe this:
cd /mnt/us/music; kinamp -loop 0 *

it will print the WHOLE pathname of the playing file, so if you don't want "/mnt/us/music/" on every file, i suggest using 'cd' .
Old 08-19-2011, 02:41 AM   #12
mark03
Enthusiast
mark03 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbdev View Post
here's the source; it's preprocessed C, so for the uninitiated it may be a little...
Ummmm, yeah Thanks. How is your dev environment set up? Which cross-compiler? etc. I've been wanting to try some directfb programming on my Kindle so it's great to have an example to follow, only I had hoped it would be a bit less obscure.

Is the _fbinit() something provided in the Amazon sources, or your own?

In other words, once you got the tool-chain set up, did you have to code much besides your main(), to do basic directfb stuff?

Last edited by mark03; 08-19-2011 at 02:45 AM.
mark03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 12:53 PM   #13
fbdev
fbdev

actually, there's a ton of custom code between directfb and my main loop.

if you want to get started with directfb on the kindle, i wrote a tutorial.

start there and if you have any questions about it, i would post replies in that thread.
Old 08-20-2011, 12:00 PM   #14
ryran
Connoisseur
ryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with others

Device: Kindle 3G
DUDE you are brilliant. How come there are NO comments on your v0 kinamp thread? KICKass. I will certainly buy you lunch the next time I'm in Gainsville.

I am absolutely loving it. Man. Man man.
What happened to Alt H? Is there a different shortcut now to shutdown kinamp/mplayer?
ryran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 04:48 PM   #15
fbdev
fbdev

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryran View Post
DUDE you are brilliant. How come there are NO comments on your v0 kinamp thread? KICKass. I will certainly buy you lunch the next time I'm in Gainsville.

I am absolutely loving it. Man. Man man.
What happened to Alt H? Is there a different shortcut now to shutdown kinamp/mplayer?
i figured that most people will be running it through launchpad, so to start it and to stop it you just run the same command.

if this doesn't work for you, post and i will mod the app to bring alt-h back.
but i'm not going to maintain two parallel source trees. =]