Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 02-27-2008, 09:29 AM   #1
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Beautiful Children by C. Bock 2 day free download

This is not particularly my cup of tea since I prefer fantastic or historical fiction whether mainstream or genre, and it's a pdf, but it has great reviews in NYT and others, and it's only a two day free download as of now (till Friday 2/29).

Link here:

http://www.beautifulchildren.net/read/
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 10:43 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Again PDF. Why don't publishers realize that PDF is one god awful eBook format that is a real pain to convert?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 01:26 PM   #3
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Probably because ebook readers are such a small segment of the market, so far, that they are only consciously thinking about "computer user" and not "ebook user".
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 02:07 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Probably because ebook readers are such a small segment of the market, so far, that they are only consciously thinking about "computer user" and not "ebook user".
They'd better care about the market that read eBooks or they won't get many sales. This is why eBooks have so many problems. Too many publishers don't care.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:20 PM   #5
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
Another free ebook

Not sure where this news should go and I couldn't find any reference to it here on Mobileread, but Charles Bock is another author jumping into the "free ebook" fray. This is from Random House. I think publishers are finally starting to listen!

http://www.beautifulchildren.net/read/

Edit: Oops, someone beat me to it.

Last edited by tsgreer; 02-27-2008 at 03:29 PM.
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 03:27 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

If they were listening, we'd not have PDF only as a format. In fact, we'd not have PDF at all.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:32 PM   #7
tsgreer
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Again PDF. Why don't publishers realize that PDF is one god awful eBook format that is a real pain to convert?
Actually in the yahoo news article, they implied that Amazon was going to be involved in the freebie offering too, much like Suze Orman's book. Suze Orman's book was in Kindle format, but as of now, Bock's book isn't on there as a free download yet.

They news article:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080226/...ZOZL8EO69xFb8C
Old 02-27-2008, 03:42 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

But still, Kindle format does little good as well. What we need is a DRM free format that has easy conversion capability. AKA HTML or RTF.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:45 PM   #9
tsgreer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But still, Kindle format does little good as well. What we need is a DRM free format that has easy conversion capability. AKA HTML or RTF.
True, I think HTML would be the best format of all. I'm partial to .prc, but I realize HTML would be way more universal.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:36 PM   #10
moz
Addict
moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo H2O
Um, is it a book or a movie? The "website" seems to be a collection of linked flash movies with sound and video but no content. I'm impressed that Liviu_5 managed to work out enough about it to know they're not interested (or was it just that the Flash stuff put you off?) I'm not interested either, but purely because anything that dressed up has to have something to hide - normally appalling quality.
moz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 04:41 PM   #11
Kingston
Addict
Kingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle, Iliad v2 & v1,Gen 3 from NAEB, Sony PRS-505, Jetbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsgreer View Post
Actually in the yahoo news article, they implied that Amazon was going to be involved in the freebie offering too, much like Suze Orman's book. Suze Orman's book was in Kindle format, but as of now, Bock's book isn't on there as a free download yet.

They news article:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080226/...ZOZL8EO69xFb8C
Amazon also has a link for it:

http://tinyurl.com/39z2fo

and B&N
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/subjec...ion/index.asp?

Don't know if it also expires on Feb 29

Last edited by Kingston; 02-27-2008 at 04:49 PM. Reason: add content
Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 04:43 PM   #12
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Quote:
Originally Posted by moz View Post
Um, is it a book or a movie? The "website" seems to be a collection of linked flash movies with sound and video but no content. I'm impressed that Liviu_5 managed to work out enough about it to know they're not interested
I got the pdf file (you just have to click on the big Download in the middle) and it looks nice; the novel per se seems well written, it is just that the subject does not excite me that much and I already have 5 other novels I am reading and two more that I really want to read on arrival, one in the mail from the UK, due any day now, one to be released March 1st as e.
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 06:30 PM   #13
Kingston
Addict
Kingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle, Iliad v2 & v1,Gen 3 from NAEB, Sony PRS-505, Jetbook
Now that the download offer has expired USA Today has written an article about it.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/books/n...ownloads_N.htm
Quote from author:

"Does he fear he'll lose money if they read it free? "If someone wants to try to read all 432 pages online, I'd say 'Good job,' but I figure they'd want a copy of the book at some point."
As for printing it out, "it'd probably take a ream of paper and a whole printer cartridge."

Guess ebook readers never crossed his mind.
Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote